Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 PM

5 posts, read 105,345 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I quit my job the beginning of last month for obvious reasons, the employees there were unbelievably rude also racist, so I had to get out... Well a couple days after I filed a claim just to see what would happen, obviously I didn't think I would get unemployment, I just was curious. So a week after I filed a claim, it showed up on the website how much I was eligible so I thought ok this maybe good, well I got to looking and it said Active Issues "YES" ... but I was able to fill out the weekly certification, and I have been doing so for the past 5 or 6 weeks, I even called up to the unemployment office to see what active issues I had and she told me since I quit they had to look it over and call my old employers to see what happened blah blah blah, so I said okay and like I said I've been filling out my weekly certification, so this passed Sunday I got on to fill out my Unemployment and just for curiosity I viewed my claim to see if it still said Active Issues, and to my surprise it said NO active issues, so I went and tried to fill out my weekly certification and it wouldn't let me, it kept redirecting me back to the page where it shows you the warnings and important messages, it also said "To ensure your claim was processed, do NOT bookmark pages". So can anyone tell me what all this means?... I haven't got any mail telling me I was denied or accepted and there is not payments that have been processed.

So anyone have any ideas as to what is going on with my claim?... I'm going to call tomorrow but I was wondering if maybe anyone else has ever went through this. Please someone help me out.

Thank you

BTW: I live in NC if that helps at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:25 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,115,923 times
Regardless, of whether your claim was approved, you should be able to continue filing simply because if you are denied, you're still allowed to appeal, and if you prevail, you will only be paid for the weeks you claim.

Therefore, you need to call so that you can continue to file until you decide that you no longer want to persue the matter.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:49 PM

So, if this was your claim, what would your first instincts be if that happened to you?... would you think you got approved?.. or you got denied?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM

Quit almost always equals denied at the deputy level. I would never assume that I'd get benefits during the first round.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Yeah I figured, I may get denied... I was just curious to see if I'd get any benefits... But if I got denied I am definitely appealing , it wasn't my intentions to quit... I had to before things really got ugly, so I will be doing whatever I can to win the appeal, not to mention I have witnesses to explain how rude/racist they were at my job... So I am hoping it all goes by smooth.

Btw tell me: Does an employer have an amount of time to get back to the unemployment office to let them know what happened?... And if they don't reply to the Unemployment office at a certain time, then whoever is trying to get UB is granted them?... I hope that makes sence.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:17 PM

Employers do have a deadline. The catch is that it won't work for you because you quit.

If the employer fires you, and then fails to fill out the paperwork, a claimant gets benefits.

When you quit, the employer doesn't have to do a thing, and chances are you're still going to get denied simply because it's really hard to prove a good cause quit to a deputy.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:22 PM

I really appreciate your answers, and thank you for being honest... That's exactly what I needed

I'm definitely not determined to but I guess maybe what I need to do is just take it as a loss then huh?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 PM

A loss at the initial deputy determination happens even in clear cut cases where the claimant should have gotten UI. The appeal is where these things get sorted out. People win on appeal all the time. Use your time to prepare for an appeal and look for a job, and hope that you won't have to go there, but at least be ready.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 PM

Okay, thank you for your advice. Your advice was indeed good!

Is there a way I can vote you as president?? lol

Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 AM

37 posts, read 92,356 times
You might have good cause if you can really prove the racism existed, or a hostile work environment from the rudeness, so try to get as much proof as you can put together before the appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment