Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 06:50 PM

402 posts, read 1,409,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
... and when I asked him if he planned on filing for UI he said "I don't know why because I won't get it anyway."

. . . he clocked the other guy in even though the other guy wasn't at work. . . . He worked there for about 18 months. . . . he might be eligible for UI . . .
Your friend MIGHT be right: he may be ineligible. I don't know if his infraction will be counted as gross misconduct or an isolated incident. He should check with an attorney. It looks like we have one on this thread. ^^

"Claimants who received a termination for what the state defines as 'gross misconduct' lose all wage credits, which determine financial eligibility for benefits, that they had accrued on that job."

Can You Get Unemployment If You Are Fired in Washington State? | eHow.com Can You Get Unemployment If You Are Fired in Washington State? | eHow.com

Other links that might help:

Are you eligible to claim unemployment benefits?

https://fortress.wa.gov/esd/webic/in...spx?Lang=en-us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 07:54 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,783,248 times
I must ask OP, what the heck possessed your friend to do an idiotic thing like that?

Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,029,043 times
I'll bet several other employees were smart enough to refuse to do what your friend did. No matter how it turns out, one would need to be an idiot to attempt this.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 AM

164 posts, read 268,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Wow.
In some states, one does pay into it. Some have paid all their lives. Different people just get their Money back At Different Times. This isn't welfare. This is what we're entitled to.

Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,424,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Buffet View Post
In some states, one does pay into it. Some have paid all their lives. Different people just get their Money back At Different Times. This isn't welfare. This is what we're entitled to.
A total of 3 states have employees pay into it. And someone making 40k per year pays about $30 per year. Let's say you work for 50 years...you pay a whopping $1500 or about one month's or benefits.

You are not entitled to anything.

I love how people come on here to make a big deal that they pay into it...with no idea how little they actually pay. Would love to see the state of NJ limit the benefits of those people to the money they are so positive they have paid...guessing they will all change their tune REALLY quickly, to someone who states it is not enough.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
A total of 3 states have employees pay into it. And someone making 40k per year pays about $30 per year. Let's say you work for 50 years...you pay a whopping $1500 or about one month's or benefits.

You are not entitled to anything.

I love how people come on here to make a big deal that they pay into it...with no idea how little they actually pay. Would love to see the state of NJ limit the benefits of those people to the money they are so positive they have paid...guessing they will all change their tune REALLY quickly, to someone who states it is not enough.
provost was right. You are just a 1-sided hr manager. Nobody pays Only $30 A Year in NJ. I have friends there who pay more. And yes, by law, they are entitled To This. Yes, 3 states have this....PA (my original state), NJ, and AK.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
That is the employer's burden to prove. Plenty of people collect for no other reason than they keep their mouth shut, and their employer's do a lousy job fighting the claim, and since the employer gets stuck with the first 26-weeks cost of the claim, that's on them if they let it happen.
You are awesome! Unlike the rabbit, you DO try to find every possible avenue, or angle to help someone in need, and this is much appreciated. Unlike that other poster I mentioned who is a HR manager, you understand what it's like from a worker's point of view. Appreciate your help that you and Ariadne (and others) routinely provide on here free of charge to claimants. Kudos!

Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,236,989 times
Quote:
you DO try to find every possible avenue, or angle to help someone in need, and this is much appreciated.
Someone who knowingly steals from their company should not equal "someone in need". "Someone in need" should be someone who is out of work due to no fault of their own. Finding angles and loopholes for theives only ups the cost of these programs for all people.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Someone who knowingly steals from their company should not equal "someone in need". "Someone in need" should be someone who is out of work due to no fault of their own. Finding angles and loopholes for theives only ups the cost of these programs for all people.
What're u a goodie-2 shoes? Not me. Everyone makes errors in judgement, and I'm all about working the angles.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:33 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,236,989 times
Quote:
What're u a goodie-2 shoes? Not me. Everyone makes errors in judgement, and I'm all about working the angles.
I am far from a "goodie two-shoes", and I make many errors in judgement. But, when I do, I accept the consequences, which allows me to learn from my mistakes. "Working the angles" to avoid consequences affords no one the opportunity to learn. If the OP's friend does get unemployment benefits, why in the world would he even think twice about stealing again? No consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment