Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 03:08 PM

234 posts, read 687,419 times

Advertisements

its true. you pay nothing into unemployment benefits really. if you collect it once in your life time you are way ahead of the game. the federal government prints money because it does not have a balance budget to pay for it. the states cut spending or issue bonds to pay for it if they did not allocate enough in there yearly budget.

now if you want to have the conversation that people don't make enough to live in the US economy i would totally agree with that too. i think everybody wants someone to collect unemployment because you don't want people to not have food. i think people give opinions and if you don't like the opinion it does not make it untrue. i hope this person gets unemployment so they can eat and live but my opinion is this person did something wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo Buffet View Post
provost was right. You are just a 1-sided hr manager. Nobody pays Only $30 A Year in NJ. I have friends there who pay more. And yes, by law, they are entitled To This. Yes, 3 states have this....PA (my original state), NJ, and AK.

Last edited by JMT; 04-29-2013 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: removed personal attack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM

164 posts, read 268,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by around1999 View Post
its true. you pay nothing into unemployment benefits really. if you collect it once in your life time you are way ahead of the game. the federal government prints money because it does not have a balance budget to pay for it. the states cut spending or issue bonds to pay for it if they did not allocate enough in there yearly budget.

now if you want to have the conversation that people don't make enough to live in the US economy i would totally agree with that too. i think everybody wants someone to collect unemployment because you don't want people to not have food. i think people give opinions and if you don't like the opinion it does not make it untrue. i hope this person gets unemployment so they can't eat and live but my opinion is this person did something wrong.
I'm referring To Regular UI, not The Extensions. In the 3 states, for example, employees DO pay in.

Last edited by JMT; 04-29-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM

how much do you really think an individual person paid into it in there lifetime? that's all i am pointing out. the amount you pay in is a small fraction of a % in those 3 states and if you collect unemployment 2 years or even 6 months you are far ahead of the game.

Quote:
I'm referring To Regular UI, not The Extensions. In the 3 states, for example, employees DO pay in.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:00 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,667,131 times
Quote:
how much do you really think an individual person paid into it in there lifetime? that's all i am pointing out. the amount you pay in is a small fraction of a % in those 3 states and if you collect unemployment 2 years or even 6 months you are far ahead of the game.
An example given, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The tax is 0.385% of your income, which means, hypothetically, if you earn $50,000/year, your tax would be $191.25/yr. x 15 years - $2,869 - which is 5 weeks' NJ benefit of $576/wk for that wage. Your employer, on the other hand, has paid in $24,618 - his tax is 3.25%, not .385%, almost 10x yours. Of course, you didn't earn $50k/yr for 15 years, so neither of you has paid in that much, but you get the idea.

New Jersey State Tax, Unemployment and Payroll Tax | Payroll-Taxes.com

A full NJ state claim on earnings of $50k/year could potentially collect $14,976, plus 47 weeks' federal benefits of another $27,072, for total potential benefits of $42,048.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,783,248 times
Quote:
its true. you pay nothing into unemployment benefits really.
In NJ and two other states, there actually is a deduction from your paycheck for UI (which is where the poster lives).

Last edited by JMT; 04-29-2013 at 07:00 PM..

Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM

so what like $4 a week out of your paycheck and you collect almost 15k in 6 months benefits. yes you pay a little but is that really much money. where do you think new jersey gets this money? i think people feel there is an infinite amount out there. i don't want anyone to starve ever but again should tax payers pay for someone helping others avoid working and pretty much helping someone else steal money from a company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
In NJ and two other states, there actually is a deduction from your paycheck for UI (which is where the poster lives).

Old 04-30-2013, 07:21 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,616,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Oh, yes, OP's friend will be denied initially. On appeal, he may (unlikely) get his benefits after serving a misconduct penalty. In this case, at the very least, I'm guessing he's going to be required to go back to work for a while before that penalty will be waived. I doubt he'll get something as lenient as a disqualification for a certain number of weeks.

From the WA handbook:
I'd say punching in for another employee is evidence of flagrant and wanton disregard for the employer. He'll be lucky if all he gets is a requirement to work for 10 weeks.
Yeah I kinda figured that. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
I must ask OP, what the heck possessed your friend to do an idiotic thing like that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
I'll bet several other employees were smart enough to refuse to do what your friend did. No matter how it turns out, one would need to be an idiot to attempt this.
They had a "buddy buddy" relationship and had done that a few times when I was working there... this was the first time someone had caught them.

I found out yesterday that after the guy called and and had my friend clock him in that apparently his boss had seen him drive up 15 mins late and looked at his electronic time clock info... then they verified the video.

Not very bright I agree. The fact they have a camera zoomed in on the time clock would be enough deterrence for me to even consider ever doing something like that. What's really sad is the guy who came in late had just got a promotion. Even though I don't work there anymore I still maintain a friendship with a few of the guys I worked with and they all texted me pretty much the same thing.. "Yeah he just got a promotion and he blew it."

My friend had been there 18 months and the other guy nearly 4 years. Do I think them getting terminated was a little harsh? Yes... considering the fact neither had been in any trouble before. Suspend them a few days or a week or something... just IMHO. The management changes that have happened over the last year turned me off and that's the main reason I left in January. I got sick of working with cameras everywhere in a "don't trust anyone" environment where people would snitch you out for the least little thing just to get brownie points with the boss. The new management made these changes like installing cameras and hiring a dozen supervisors with no experience in the field over the last few months before I left and it went from a pleasant place to work to feeling like working in a prison.

Will post back when I hear about his claim.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Yeah I kinda figured that. Thanks for the info.

They had a "buddy buddy" relationship and had done that a few times when I was working there... this was the first time someone had caught them.

I found out yesterday that after the guy called and and had my friend clock him in that apparently his boss had seen him drive up 15 mins late and looked at his electronic time clock info... then they verified the video.

Not very bright I agree. The fact they have a camera zoomed in on the time clock would be enough deterrence for me to even consider ever doing something like that. What's really sad is the guy who came in late had just got a promotion. Even though I don't work there anymore I still maintain a friendship with a few of the guys I worked with and they all texted me pretty much the same thing.. "Yeah he just got a promotion and he blew it."

My friend had been there 18 months and the other guy nearly 4 years. Do I think them getting terminated was a little harsh? Yes... considering the fact neither had been in any trouble before. Suspend them a few days or a week or something... just IMHO. The management changes that have happened over the last year turned me off and that's the main reason I left in January. I got sick of working with cameras everywhere in a "don't trust anyone" environment where people would snitch you out for the least little thing just to get brownie points with the boss. The new management made these changes like installing cameras and hiring a dozen supervisors with no experience in the field over the last few months before I left and it went from a pleasant place to work to feeling like working in a prison.

Will post back when I hear about his claim.
Ya I hate cameras too

Old 04-30-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
so what like $4 a week out of your paycheck and you collect almost 15k in 6 months benefits. yes you pay a little but is that really much money. where do you think new jersey gets this money? i think people feel there is an infinite amount out there. i don't want anyone to starve ever but again should tax payers pay for someone helping others avoid working and pretty much helping someone else steal money from a company.
So, let's Say that someone takes A 18 Minute Break, instead Of 15, like they are supposed to. Obviously, they can get Fired for that. Do u think they should be denied UI? I don't think so. Technically, they stole Time, So To Speak. Can't be so by-the-book about everything.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM

if you do it and have someone else clock in so you are still paid you should not get unemployment. if you do it once and you clock yourself in 3 minutes late and than are fired you should totally still get unemployment benefits. if you come in late once in a while even but clock yourself in and you are fired i still believe you should get unemployment.

Quote:
So, let's Say that someone takes A 18 Minute Break, instead Of 15, like they are supposed to. Obviously, they can get Fired for that. Do u think they should be denied UI? I don't think so. Technically, they stole Time, So To Speak. Can't be so by-the-book about everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment