Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 06:45 PM

10 posts, read 59,774 times

Advertisements

I just got laid off in May and I've been on unemployment ever since. I am about to start my senior year at my University and I advised this to the worker I spoke to for my initial interview. Since it was summer and I was not in school, she told me not to choose the option on the claim form that I was not in school. She said to call back when I start school and advise them and we would go from there. She also said that the unemployment office believes that work is more important than school which pretty much indicates to me that once I tell them, they are going to stop paying me. I also have been applying to some unpaid internships which I hope to land. It would be really great if I could continue to receive UE while I am interning and in school so I can pay the bills while continuing my education and interning so I can get a potential job when I graduate in 9 months. I do not want a paying job if I get an internship so I can commit all of my time to school and the internship. I am really nervous. Should I tell them that I am a full time student and working as an unpaid intern when the time comes? Will they stop paying me? I don't want to lie, but I need this unemployment to survive until I graduate next May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:55 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
You can't get it. You can try lying but you will get caught so you probably don't want to go down that road.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
If you get convicted of fraud, you can forget being hired anywhere. Worth it?

Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Its stupid to work as an unpaid intern, while trying to collect unemployment. I'm sorry, get a paying job.

As for school, yes, finish your degree and do what you have to there. But I would advise you to tell the truth and see if you can still get unemployment. If you get denied because you're in school, accept that. I do think that if you are LOOKING for job while you're in school, they MAY still ALLOW to to collect. To continue getting unemployment you have to show you're looking for work.

But the bottom line is you do not want to get caught lying to a government agency. You don't want to go there.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:13 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
In CA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlesfan1 View Post
I just got laid off in May and I've been on unemployment ever since. I am about to start my senior year at my University and I advised this to the worker I spoke to for my initial interview. Since it was summer and I was not in school, she told me not to choose the option on the claim form that I was not in school.

Correct, you are not currently in school.

She said to call back when I start school and advise them and we would go from there. She also said that the unemployment office believes that work is more important than school which pretty much indicates to me that once I tell them, they are going to stop paying me.

In order to qualify for UI you need to be ABLE and AVAILABLE. If you are in school, unless you can convince the EDD that you are willing to quit school if a job comes up, you are not going to be able to keep your benefits and go to school full time in absence of an alternative school schedule, online classes, etc...

I also have been applying to some unpaid internships which I hope to land. It would be really great if I could continue to receive UE while I am interning and in school so I can pay the bills while continuing my education and interning so I can get a potential job when I graduate in 9 months.

Absolutely not. When exactly are you able and available for full time work if you are going to school and interning?

I do not want a paying job if I get an internship so I can commit all of my time to school and the internship.

With all due respect, UI is Unemployment INSURANCE, it is meant to be used as a filler to help someone stay afloat and pay their bills UNTIL they find a job. It is NOT there to finance someone who wants to take an internship and college classes. If you do not want to find a job, you have no business being on UI.

I am really nervous. Should I tell them that I am a full time student and working as an unpaid intern when the time comes?

Yes, not telling EDD is FRAUD.

Will they stop paying me?

Yes, they will stop paying you. You are in school and interning, therefore you are not able and available for work and as such do not qualify for benefits.

I don't want to lie, but I need this unemployment to survive until I graduate next May.

Then you are going to have to find a way to take an alternate school schedule and not do the internship. Losing your job and qualifying for UI was NOT the full ride to being able to have money coming in while interning that you are hoping it is....

Old 08-12-2013, 12:46 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
I'll be starting school up again later this month, HOWEVER...I'm in a COMPLETELY ONLINE program & won't have to drive anywhere. I work on my homework, reading, etc. on my own time.

So, how does EDD view that? How do I tell them because there's no space on the claim form to specify thatI'm not driving to school? I guess I can squeeze those words in and make sure they see it.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 AM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
You will be fine. BUT putting that you started school WILL pause your benefits and trigger an interview. You can try to call in a little bit after you file the form and talk to a rep who may be able to clear the interview issue for you (I managed to do that once)...but you tell them that it is online and that you can go to school 24/7 meaning that no matter what hours you work or have an interview, it will not interfere. The person will then ask what will happen if there is a conflict between work and school and you need to answer that if that happens, you will quit school. I went through this and was going online as well to a school in another state (NOT AZ, LOL) and this was how it went. And the "would I give up school" question seemed silly as what the heck job would I get that would make me 100% unable to ever log on to the internet...so I said, "Yes, if there was a conflict that was not able to be resolved between work and school, I would quit school".

The interview took about 5 minutes.

And, no reason to squeeze. When you check that you started school, no matter what else you put on the form, it will trigger an interview and your benefits will be put on hold until the interview.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 13,812 times
I am in the same situation as you friend.
I on the other hand was working thru an Agency in Bellflower, CA called Associate Management Resources. I had been working with them from July 2013 until August 8 2014. I was planning to go back to school but it would interfere with work. I tried asking the Employer who I was working for thru the Agency if I can work the 3rd shift while I would be in school in the morning 8am-12pm Mon-Fri and I got denied by the Employer and Agency. I was willing to still work but the Employer and Agency didn't want to work with me. I gave my 2 weeks noticed that I was planning on leaving the job. I applied for Unemployment and got denied. Why? I filed an Appeal and got denied after the appeal. Agency I worked with refused to let me get benefits. Why? Please help. If you can give me some information I would highly appropriate it. Thanks for time to read this.

Old 02-05-2015, 01:49 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
You can't quit a job to go to school. That is NOT good cause.

Your story is not like these other people. They had jobs and LOST them. You had a job and you quit it. Big difference.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:44 PM

1 posts, read 5,154 times
Hello I'm currently getting unemployment. In the state of California Riverside County will be attending school as a full time student during fall season on AUGUST. can I still collect unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment