Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 02:17 PM

78 posts, read 279,055 times

Advertisements

I was collecting Tier 2 on a claim (Started 10-14-12) up until the middle of August until I got a job. I was fired from that job at the beginning of October due to a dispute in my pay. Basically my employer said my salary would double after a 30 day evaluation period, but after those 30 days, it didn't double. When I questioned it, my employer said I was terminated because of a mis-communication and we needed to part ways.

I re-open my claim on 10-3-13 and get a letter saying that I have an eligibility interview on Oct 31. I have my phone interview that day and it goes smoothly. I was told I would get a decision within 7-10 days.

It's been over 2 weeks and I've gotten nothing. I called EDD earlier today and now I have ANOTHER phone interview on Nov 26. Why would I need another phone interview? I'm 100% sure I told the interviewer everything he needed to know during the phone interview and he had more than enough time to contact my ex-employer.

I also just finished serving a 5 week overpayment penalty that began on 10-13-13, so I haven't gotten any benefits so far.

Just in case my recent ex-employer tries to fight it, will that block my previous Tier 2 payments? I haven't gotten any information that I had to start a new claim and have still been filling out claim forms for my previous claim. My BYE ended on 10-14-13, but I've still been sending in claim forms for my claim that's on Tier 2 and have gotten no paperwork regarding a new claim. Will I have to end up starting a new one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
You can collect 1 week on a claim, and have 25 weeks pluse extensions. If you get a new job, and get fired after 3 minutes on the job, you have to start all over getting UI. If you are discharged for misconduct or you quit without good cause, you don't get any of the money from the prior job claim because the new job makes everything start all over again.

You have to wait for the separation from this recent job run its course. If you're unhappy with the speed that things are moving, then you have to contact your legislator who will contact UI, and make them move things along.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM

43 posts, read 235,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
If you're unhappy with the speed that things are moving, then you have to contact your legislator who will contact UI, and make them move things along.
I read this advice here previously, and so last week, I called my legislator about my appeal. He warned me that his contacting the labor department could go either well, or very badly - and that they sometimes get ticked off about someone else stepping in. In my case, it seemed to tick them off. I got a voicemail from the Industrial commission that was not too friendly telling me that as stated in my paperwork, the process takes 8-10 weeks and I needed to wait. He gave me a date of when I should hear back from them - which would be right at the 10 week mark. In other words, they didn't care about my situation - and were making me wait until the last minute before getting my answer.

Just wanted to warn you.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
You have the confluence of a Perfect Storm, here:
  1. Overpayment penalty, combined with a
  2. Separation issue when you reopened the claim, combined with a
  3. Bye recert /new claim, which revisits the separation issue, combined with
  4. CA's super FUBAR computer mess
  5. CA's reduced work hours.
That said, contacting state legislators is extremely effective in every state - except, possibly, CA these days - because CA has SO MANY ISSUES.

Good luck. Let us know what happens with an update on this thread.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:12 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
In your case, I'd have never told you to rush them. Everything with you is tracking the way it's supposed to. There have been no artificial delays. Your situation is more similiar to mine. It took me a long time not because people were delaying, but rather it was just a complex enough issue. You should be relieved they are taking as long as they are. It's a strong indication that your case has merit or they are digging deep to make you be wrong. If the case were truly about you not quitting with good cause, they'd have immediately issued that decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedAgain View Post
I read this advice here previously, and so last week, I called my legislator about my appeal. He warned me that his contacting the labor department could go either well, or very badly - and that they sometimes get ticked off about someone else stepping in. In my case, it seemed to tick them off. I got a voicemail from the Industrial commission that was not too friendly telling me that as stated in my paperwork, the process takes 8-10 weeks and I needed to wait. He gave me a date of when I should hear back from them - which would be right at the 10 week mark. In other words, they didn't care about my situation - and were making me wait until the last minute before getting my answer.

Just wanted to warn you.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You have the confluence of a Perfect Storm, here:
  1. Overpayment penalty, combined with a
  2. Separation issue when you reopened the claim, combined with a
  3. Bye recert /new claim, which revisits the separation issue, combined with
  4. CA's super FUBAR computer mess
  5. CA's reduced work hours.
That said, contacting state legislators is extremely effective in every state - except, possibly, CA these days - because CA has SO MANY ISSUES.

Good luck. Let us know what happens with an update on this thread.
Yeah, it's been extremely nerve wracking for me. Just when I thought I finally finished my Overpayment penalty, I get slapped with another problem altogether, which was the need for a 2nd interview and possibly another slew of messes.

Regardless, I'll still take it as a chance to still get my benefits. At least I wasn't told I was denied right off the bat.

So, I pretty much can't get ANYTHING until EDD makes a decision? Even if my ex-employer isn't paying into my previous claim?

Thanks, I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:48 PM

Just got the letter in the mail for my 2nd interview and it looks like the questions are just concerning wages. I assume this is about the final check I got from my previous company. I reported the wages on my claim form for the week I was fired.

I hope this means my old company doesn't plan to fight it, but either way, this is good news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment