Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 AM

3 posts, read 10,183 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I know this problem has probably been discussed countless times but I couldn't find a topic that relats to my situation.

I've been working at a high end retail store in NJ for the past three years. We got a new department manager about a year a ago and recently I feel like she's trying to get me out of the store.

Although I'm the second highest producer in the counter that i work for, she constantly brings up the fact that i got a below expectation on my last review.

During this past fall, the store planed an event to go see a Broadway show, and after i got two tickets, she denied permission for me to go. I had to sell one ticket and give the other one away.

I got to school, and this semester i needed off Mondays and Wednesday. Although she could have given me both days off, she claimed that she couldn't do it because of the need of the business and my "below expectation" review. I went to the HR manager to express my concern, and eventually to the store manager but nothing was done because my manager kept bringing up my "below expectation" review, making it seem as if because of that i didn't deserve any type of accommodations.

Most recently my parents got me a ticket to go to my cousin's wedding (out of the country) for two weeks. And although my counter manager approved it, she once again denied my vacation time because of the need of the business. And it's too much time according to her.

I may add that in the past, people have gone on vacation for a whole month, or have taken time off last minute for minor reasons such as: my kid has a game, I have to go pick someone up somewhere, my boyfriend is sick, or a have to go to a last minute wedding.

I feel that she has created a very hostile environment for me to work in and i constantly feel harassed. I'm always stressed thinking about it to the point that I'm losing sleep over this problem. I'm starting to feel discriminated and that she has preference over other associates. Other people in the department has noticed that she seems to have something against me.

My question is: If I were to quit under this circumstances, would i be able to collect unemployment?

Thanks for your help.

Luxor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
I consider myself very proclaimant, and I wouldn't quit and expect UI benefits from what you've typed above. Even if the stuff you did put amounted to "good cause," the school stuff raises an "able & available" issue.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:17 AM

149 posts, read 349,255 times
Don't quit your job. Don't don't don't. Let them "lay you off," or "let you go." Collecting UI will be 1,000 times easier that way.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:52 AM

973 posts, read 1,453,706 times
They're not going to give you unemployment. You have to be able to work a full work week to get ue. They also ask if you're attending school. While it's a lot things are unfair, and it sucks to see coworkers getting favored treatment, a few of those things sound bad on your part. I'm just telling you if you get fired, don't tell ue they wouldn't let you take two weeks off and you feel you deserve that based on the fact that someone else took a month off.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:55 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,830,974 times
Not at this point, but if they fire you, you can apply for it.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:16 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,468,324 times
No, you cannot quit and get UI because your supervisor denied you vacation time.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
Check your state laws. Sometimes you can quit and still get UE, but there's a penalty. Also, sometimes you can get UE if you quit with good cause (not sure what good cause is). All that said, I would carefully document everything and let her fire you. I would not quit.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:45 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,604,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialia View Post
Don't quit your job. Don't don't don't. Let them "lay you off," or "let you go." Collecting UI will be 1,000 times easier that way.
That. ^

There was a lot of changes at my job the last 6 weeks or so... our lead guy left for a better job and his replacement was a total nightmare. One of those guys that watches his watch while you go to the bathroom and questions why you were 15 seconds late coming back from your lunch break.

I dealt with the BS for a couple weeks and started to send resumes out 3 weeks ago... I wanted to quit but at the same time I knew I wouldn't get UI if I did. I also had a feeling a layoff was coming because work had slowed down considerably and the replacement could run my machine as well as the other 2 machines in the shop.

Sure enough, last Friday... I got laid off. A blessing actually... I continued a claim from last June with a nice WBA ($570) and now have a lot more time to look for a better job. On the off chance I don't find something by my BYE in June I can file a new claim... so I have about 45 weeks of state benefits to lean on while I job search for the best opportunity.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 10,183 times
Thank you very much for all your help and advice.

My other concern is that I NEED to go away those two weeks that she denied. It's my cousin's wedding and his like a brother to me. He wants me to be part of his wedding.

I was thinking about trying to get at least one week approved and while I'm there call my manager and tell her that someone got sick and I'll have to stay there for indefinite time. Since I'll probably stay there for another week they most likely fire me for not showing up to work.

Would I be able to collect UE if I claim that I was fired from my job because while on vacation a relative (mom or dad) got sick and I had to extend my stay abroad.

Thank you,

Luxor.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:24 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Now you need to tell us your state.

Please read before making your first post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment