Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:40 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,976,185 times

Advertisements

So I was getting unemployment from October til March. I still had a few weeks in tier 1.

I started a new job about two months ago and I was let go today.

2 months new job and want to leave...

That's the story for my two month time as an insurance broker. I was doing well but the commission was a joke and I got mad. I didn't do or say anything but my work quality dropped in the last few days. They found out I started looking for work elsewhere. Don't think that warrants a firing but I really don't care much.

I haven't filed out the paperwork I got from EDD in those two months but I will be in the next few days. I don't know if I can get unemployment now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:05 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,092,537 times
It's Wednesday so first step is to check if you have what it takes to be monetarily eligible for UI. It's best to do that first so you can decide if you have to wait until July 6 to get a better benefit because of the quarter change.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,502,335 times
He couldn't have been collecting Tier 1 until March. Federal benefits ended 12/28/2013.

Lots of people think state benefits are Tier 1. He was finishing off State of CA benefits.

Dub, if you first filed for unemployment on October, all you can do is resume what's left on those state benefits. Call CA to reopen the claim and collect what little is left.

Beyond that, once exhausted, there is nothing until you refile in October 2014 when the current benefit year expires. You can't have more than one claim in any 52-week period. The two months you spent at this insurance broker may create eligibility for a new claim in October.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:55 PM

Ok thanks. I think I have about 1500 left. I tried calling a zillion times when I lost my debit card and changed addresses. I'm gonna fill out the weekly forms and just wait a week or two that way.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Ok thanks. I think I have about 1500 left. I tried calling a zillion times when I lost my debit card and changed addresses. I'm gonna fill out the weekly forms and just wait a week or two that way.
Sending forms without calling to reopen claim will result in nothing. You have to speak w/a rep. CA will schedule an interview on the separation. CA won't pay anything until it verifies this is a qualified separation and will send you forms for the appropriate weeks.

Call first thing in a.m., dial 5-1-1-0 after welcome message. Or, use suggestions on last few pages of this thread.

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 05-21-2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Sending forms without calling to reopen claim will result in nothing. You have to speak w/a rep. CA will schedule an interview on the separation. CA won't pay anything until it verifies this is a qualified separation and will send you forms for the appropriate weeks.

Call first thing in a.m., dial 5-1-1-0 after welcome message. Or, use suggestions on last few pages of this thread.

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Yea, I called a zillion times for two straight weeks with a prior issue. I even went to an EDD office to use their phone line because I read "their lines connect more often." And from my parents, thats 60 miles each way.

I got my issue resolved my mailing a letter and I was called several times on the weekend. So, my experience is mail works. It takes way longer but it got done. I literally woke up two weeks in a row at 755 am and kept calling til 9am. I'm not f'n doing that again.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 PM

Default How long are CA UI Benefits now?

I know some changes were made at the end of 2013 so I'm really confused now.

I worked a one year contract from 10/12 - 10/13. No permanent position was offered so the contract ended, nothing negative to say. I didn't even have to do a phone interview with EDD.

I received benefits until I found a job on March 25th. I worked at this location for roughly two months. I received my first commission check and it was ALOT lower than I was expecting. I was waiting for this check like a kid on X-Mas. I was very upset over it. My demeanor at work changed once I knew how little my hard work paid. I didn't complain or say something. In fact, I didn't say much...when I get mad I get quiet and it was obvious since it was a small company. A few days later, management calls me in to figure whats going on. I explain myself and tell them I need a few days to figure out what to do. Stay longer and change my plan or quit. Two days later, manager calls me in and lets me go before I can give my answer. I was applying for jobs (not on company time) and he got mad that I took it that far. Last day there was May 21st.

I had a phone interview regarding what happen with that job on 6/16. I figured I'm not going to get anything since I was only there for two months. I was hoping I could continue my claim before getting this trainwreck of a job.

Luckily, they accepted to continue my benefits. Received my benefits payment two days ago. However, I only have 1 week left from that claim on the form. I believe its been 6 months of benefits now.

I'm honestly just happy I got anything. I relocated for this job and I'm moving out of the area again tomorrow. This job pretty much wasted three months of my life. These benefits are covering the moving expenses and such. Really helpful!

Is 6 months the new cap in California?

Any help will be great.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:13 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,092,537 times
The only thing that changed at the end of 2013 is there are no more extensions. Everything is how it used to be. 6 months isn't a NEW cap, it's the way it always was.

It's not so much when you worked that matters, it's when your claim year started and ended. It looks like you might be eligible for a new claim around 10/2014 and this two month job of new earnings will be the ticket along with your lag earnings from your contract job if you haven't found a job by then.

Old 06-27-2014, 10:40 PM

Ah ok. It's back to the way it was before everything went south in 2007. I remember getting UI in 2005 from a part-time job.

So once it hits a full 6 months, its done. Good to know. Can't complain too much, I wasn't expecting anything at all.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:34 PM

Not sure why we're visiting this. You posted a month ago you thought you had about $1,500 left and were told when that's gone you'd need to apply for a new claim in October:

Can I get unemployment still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Dub, if you first filed for unemployment on October, all you can do is resume what's left on those state benefits. Call CA to reopen the claim and collect what little is left.

Beyond that, once exhausted, there is nothing until you refile in October 2014 when the current benefit year expires. You can't have more than one claim in any 52-week period. The two months you spent at this insurance broker may create eligibility for a new claim in October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I will ask mod to merge the two threads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment