Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 08:38 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I will be very interested to hear if NJ is actually enforcing this to the letter without exception. The key here is how often they apply "fraudulently." In CA, lack of knowledge, confusion overrides fraud - even intentional fraud.
Quote:

NJ is not CA, but I do not believe NJ is - without exception - imposing the one-year denial and determining every failure to report is fraud.

Yes, NJ does have exceptions, but those exceptions are case-by-case and they depend on the person's ability to convince unemployment that they really didn't do it even though they did it.

The OP's best shot is to pretend they had no intent of not reporting, that they thought they did report it (the op can ask isn’t that how NJ found out about it) and if they didn’t report it, well it had to be due to the overwhelming stress of the long commute and the quit and all that. They were pure bone arse tired, worn out, in a foggy daze and on top of all that, they been eating high sodium top reman to get by and their life was a pure hell at that time...but.... they honestly thought they reported it.

Anything short of that requires NJ to forget the fact that the OP IGNORED the warning to report wages despite the big arse warning. Does anyone think NJ is going to do that after all they went through to make it so prominent?

Quote:
We've not had one post on this issue- not one. I still believe denial of benefits is case-by-case, depending on the pattern and circumstances of claimant.

Well of course. Since NJ implemented the reporting wages warning on all methods of certification, their own statements claims that they saw something like a 900% increase in reporting wages worked. Instead of dealing with a couple hundred cases each week they now get maybe 2. Nobody is going to risk a full year suspension over a few lousy dollars.

It’s important to note that NJ went from being the easiest state to fraudulently claim unemployment benefits to one of the hardest with the #1 fraud detection and response of all states. NJ is actually now the example of how to do it right. Their hard line is why so few are now trying to defraud the system. NJ shoots first and that’s it.. they don’t even bother or care what your answer is. NJ also has the highest rate of criminal prosecutions for unemployment insurance fraud. 3 years ago, NJ was lucky if they discovered they were paying unemployment for 100 years to a person who died in 1814. Now, you fail to report a lousy $10 and they know.

(Remember, We had a person penalized over 2 YEARS in NY for claiming that one week while away for a few days)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 08:15 AM

91 posts, read 274,791 times
Interview is set for November 17th 2014, this is the only date available to speak over the phone regarding my claim.

This is how efficient the systems really is, I don't even know if they will have notes on what even occurred.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPOOZ View Post
I don't even know if they will have notes on what even occurred.
Here's what they probably know. There is a thing called the New Hire Database. You can google it. It's original intent was to find deadbeat parents and welfare cheats. When you started that job in NY, the employer was required by the state of NY to report you to the data base. Then the information transfers to the Federal New Hire Database, and then NJ has the opportunity to use that to match with it's UI recepients. They got a hit. You were a new hire and claiming at the same time. They don't know for a fact yet that there is a problem, but it's a high probability or you wouldn't be in the new hire database at all. It's a safe bet this is how the whole thing came to light.

Some years back, there was a certain amount of inconsistency in the way data was reported, and it may still be that way or maybe it was fixed. For example, temp agencies would report the first day of employment as the day they agreed to send you out to work rather than the first day you actually performed any work, or a company that wanted you to start when their first orientation class is available, might report you with a start date two weeks earlier than your first day.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:29 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
This is how efficient the systems really is, I don't even know if they will have notes on what even occurred.
They caught you didn't they?

The issue unanswered is, what is the purpose of the interview? The purpose was in your letter they sent. Was it for why you are no longer working at the last employer, or is it for why you reported no wages when you worked?

Old 10-10-2014, 10:35 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Quote:
Interview is set for November 17th 2014, this is the only date available to speak over the phone regarding my claim.

No, it is not inefficient. It is intentional. Delay payment of benefits whenever and wherever possible, and that includes resolution of claim issues whether or not you are wrong. This is standard operating procedure in NJ on the employee side. The goal is to pay out as little as possible for as long as possible forcing you to find work. If you are one of the lucky ones whose employer doesn't give a questionable reason for the job less, then, yes, in NJ you might begin to see payment in three weeks.

It should not take any state six-eight weeks to begin to pay benefits on a claim, or schedule an investigation. However, this routinely happens in NJ - even when there is no misconduct. The way NJ does this is by delaying the fact-finding interview. Anyone who loses employment in NJ, or experiences a suspension in benefits, had best expect to wait eight weeks before they see a penny.

If you, on the other hand, are an employer, your treatment is entirely different. The response is always immediate.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Update**
Unemployment requested the money for that week to be paid back, it was paid using the money from the NYC pay check.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:16 AM

What is NJ doing about that quit??

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-15-2014 at 11:33 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 11:23 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,072,384 times
The interview is for Nov 17th. I suspect we won't know much more until then.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:32 AM

Oh, indeed, I forgot.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Interview came and went just now and they are now going back to the NYC employer to see if my reason for quitting after 4 days matches their records of termination. They tried reaching the employer during the interview call but that NYC employer needed until Wednesday to find all the documents regarding the termination. Need to wait another 48 hours to see what the final results will be.

Still unemployed went on 5 interviews and 7 phone interviews since last post.. three different recruiting firms have my information also. This is the worst time of year to find full time work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment