Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 05:01 PM

20 posts, read 33,035 times

Advertisements

In a nutshell:
Wrapping up a project here in Los Angeles.
It might run another week or two, but invited to a much higher paying gig next week in Mexico City,
Which is being run by a company based out of New York City.

My Q: what happens to my unemployment when this project is over in a month or so? Am I still eligible in California- or do I have to file an interstate claim? If Caly will I still be able to file online- or have to call in? Is this going to become a New York claim?

One would hope that it wouldn't create problems a UI claim in general?

If it's relevant, I'm returning to California after the project, and New York probably in the spring.

Thanks for any insight--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 05:27 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
If you'll be going from one job to the next, then you won't need UI until the job in Mexico City is over, and you can worry about your UI when you actually have a gap in your employment.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:32 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Rereading now your posting history, it appears your CA claim expired in September 2014.

Depending on your earnings history this past year, you may or may not have new claim eligibility at all in either state.

Earnings from the Mexico City gig w/NY employer might qualify you for another NYS claim when benefits from CA claim are exhausted. Although, this is such a short stint, it is doubtful you will be eligible in NY.

Please provide your earnings history since 9/2013.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-09-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 11:36 PM

20 posts, read 33,035 times
I started a new project in Caly in Sep 2013 that lasted until March 2014.
Those 6 months alone were enough to establish a new claim at the expiry of my claim on 9/27/14.
However, started a new project- this one- about September 14. Was ready to open new Caly claim at end of this project but then got word on Mexico City. Btw exhausted that sep 2013 claim shortly before sep 15 project.

I was under the impression that I couldn't file a new Caly claim once I had earnings out of state- that I then had to file in this case NY and ÇA and have them duke it out- or atthe least prevented from just filing online which is always easiest..

Am I mistaken? I got that impression from the tenor of questions asked when you apply online- are you in Caly? did you work outside of Caly in this time period? I always thought If you said no and/or yes to those two you were forced to call in and it got complicated...

Old 10-10-2014, 12:08 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takeover View Post
I started a new project in Caly in Sep 2013 that lasted until March 2014.
Those 6 months alone were enough to establish a new claim at the expiry of my claim on 9/27/14.
However, started a new project- this one- about September 14. Was ready to open new Caly claim at end of this project but then got word on Mexico City. Btw exhausted that sep 2013 claim shortly before sep 15 project.
So, there is no new California claim established. Too bad. Your situation would have been much easier. You could just reopen that new existing claim when Mexico project is ended. California would then investigate the separation from the NY employer (in Mexico) and resume benefits.

Quote:
I was under the impression that I couldn't file a new Caly claim once I had earnings out of state- that I then had to file in this case NY and ÇA and have them duke it out- or atthe least prevented from just filing online which is always easiest..
You don't want a NY claim - the benefit is lower - max $405, the partial benefit calculation is very punitive, work as little as an hour, lose 25% of the weekly benefit. NY doesn't factor dollars earned when paying partial benefits, only "days" worked. One hour can = one day in NY.

Further, NY requires you have two quarters of earnings. No earnings from the NY employer will appear in the base period when you finally do apply.

Base period one or two months from now will be July 2013-June 2014. All CA earnings. You want a California claim.

Quote:
Am I mistaken? I got that impression from the tenor of questions asked when you apply online- are you in Caly? did you work outside of Caly in this time period? I always thought If you said no and/or yes to those two you were forced to call in and it got complicated...
When the Mexico job ends, apply FIRST in CA. Don't do this online. CALL THEM. Explain the situation. NY will deny you anyway because there will be no NY earnings in the base period. However, CA may want you to apply in NY first, get the denial, before it will open the claim.

Yes, now it's complicated. Call CA when the job ends and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment