Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM

50 posts, read 57,303 times

Advertisements

hello,

i was granted UI back in late 2012 for about a year. then shortly after UI ran out i signed up to take care of my grandparents through IHSS. its been about 13 or so months that i have been doing that. i have applied for a few jobs and i have been given a position which they will be doing a background check soon.

now my question is, during the time i supported my grandparents i also ran our small family business by dedicating very minimal hours which was making me absolutely no money. i volunteered to keep it running in hopes it would turn around but it didn't.

now, will the background check reveal i was on UI? will it show i supported my grandparents? if so this had nothing to do with the job i applied for so i didnt mention it on my resume.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 04:12 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,134,911 times
UI records are confidential. Unless you tell someone, the only people that know are you, your base period employers and EDD. It's not like it's public record like when you get a get put through the judicial system.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 PM

thank you Chyvan,

if the background check is being done by a third company. will my employment with IHSS come up?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:37 PM

Only if your employer reports to something like "The Work Number." I doubt IHSS would because it costs money to be a subscriber and government entities are pretty cheap and there are probably government regs that would prohibit it because it's related to a health issue.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 PM

i also forgot to ask if anyone knows.

will a background check also reveal if you were laid off / terminated or had quit a previous job?

Old 02-10-2015, 07:51 PM

Only if the employer reported to something like "The Work Number." I know there is a lot of info out there about people, but there are tons of things that people can't find out about you unless you tell them, or they know where to ask.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,905,314 times
When I perform background checks, I also call your former employers directly. HR departments will almost always report your dates of employment, job titles and the like. Your former manager will usually tell me why you left and a bit about you.

If your former manager refuses to tell me anything or just refers me to HR, that is usually code for "he wasn't that good & there were issues & we fired him."

Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 AM

thank you SportandMisty,

am i able to let the new employer know that they may contact the old one to verify dates which is fine, however they will have nothing nice to say about me.

PS - the old employer is in a bit of a legal issue because they still owe money. this is why they will have nothing nice to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment