Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:24 PM

79 posts, read 95,866 times

Advertisements

NEW JERSEY.. Hello, nice forum! I have been approved for Unemployment. I tried online to claim my benefits.. about 48 hours early. (I claimed each week, and this would be the second week of a bi-weekly period, if that makes sense. I had been paid out one week, if that makes sense.)

So... I am SUPPOSED to claim on July 1st, but I DID get Online message about "My claim is not payable at this time and would have to be reviewed" etc.

If I go online on July 1st, will it go as usual? I can see how it should.. But, asking?

I have 19 weeks and considerable money left on my claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2015, 06:13 PM

Here is from when I claimed my first payment. My social security number is removed.

Shall I try again tomorrow? I am worried.. I think I tried to claim too early but I did not mess up my claim.. Did I?

Old 06-29-2015, 08:26 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
If you were told to wait until July 1 to claim, follow that instruction. Claiming early did not mess things up.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:54 AM

Exclamation NJ Unemployment - UPDATE! Telephone interview is needed, can it go faster..

Well, I have a frustrating update. :angry: It seems INCOMPETENCE is holding up my claim. From Labor Ready....

I do believe that that office, trying to do too much and being unknowledgeable, has screwed up my claim. Over the past two months I worked two days, for Labor Ready: Once March 26th, and once June 10th. To my personal observation: Both jobs were a 45-minute drive for or less hours of work at minimum wage.. and I had my fill of that at the end of 2014, so. Underwhelmed. Takeaway from this: They are one-day jobs.. No kind of commitment (the March 26th one needs people for one day every week and the June 10th was your typical random one-day job.) Now, the professional and relevant observation: I just spoke with a claims person, [Mod cut.] (call 8:30 sharp, folks.. the other numbers you don't get that kind of service. Use with discretion..) and Labor Ready is claiming i QUIT on March 26th. Now, obviously, this is not true.. it just is not. I went and had zero incident, worked as usual and got paid regular. You don't "quit" a one-day job.

Now they are saying I have a phone interview July 17th, 9:20AM and that they will "release" the payments for the two (and by then more like one more, or two) pending weeks, after they talk about this "separation" issue.

WHY CAN'T WE DO IT BEFORE THAT! CAN THE BRANCH MANAGER DO ANYTHING?

Sincerely, - Joseph.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-06-2015 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Phone number deleted.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbi82 View Post
WHY CAN'T WE DO IT BEFORE THAT! CAN THE BRANCH MANAGER DO ANYTHING?
NJ takes its own sweet time on interviews. Your only other option is to email your State of NJ representative requesting an immediate interview. I don't hold out a lot of hope, but you can try. You will hear back from your representative within a day; whether or not NJ will comply is another matter entirely.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
There is no such thing as a one-day job. You are working for a temp agency (you made a terrible mistake signing up for one). They are your employer. Each minute you work, and then stop, that creates a separation issue, and the attendant wait for the phone interview and suspension of benefits. NJ will not believe you that it was a one-day job. The temp agency has a ton more experience with UI claims than you'll learn in a lifetime, and it saves them money to fight each and every one of them.

The temp agency will most likely claim that you never called them after the one-day job to tell them of your availability. My thinking is that you didn't because you thought it was just a one-day job, and they ought to know. There is a high probability that you will lose your benefits if you can't prove that you notified the agency when the job was over. I really do mean PROVE. There are people that call the temp agency and follow all the rules but because they can't produce an email, phone record, or fax confirmation to PROVE the attempt, the temp agency says, "we never heard from this person," are quite often believe, and you become disqualified.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
There is no such thing as a one-day job. You are working for a temp agency (you made a terrible mistake signing up for one). They are your employer. Each minute you work, and then stop, that creates a separation issue, and the attendant wait for the phone interview and suspension of benefits. NJ will not believe you that it was a one-day job. The temp agency has a ton more experience with UI claims than you'll learn in a lifetime, and it saves them money to fight each and every one of them.

The temp agency will most likely claim that you never called them after the one-day job to tell them of your availability. My thinking is that you didn't because you thought it was just a one-day job, and they ought to know. There is a high probability that you will lose your benefits if you can't prove that you notified the agency when the job was over. I really do mean PROVE. There are people that call the temp agency and follow all the rules but because they can't produce an email, phone record, or fax confirmation to PROVE the attempt, the temp agency says, "we never heard from this person," are quite often believe, and you become disqualified.
Ummm... a little off-topic? but.. Labor Ready has very many one-day jobs. And, while the "Old Guard" rep I talked to AT Labor Ready tried to give me that line, "Oh NJ won't believe you, blah blah blah.." It doesn't matter, that's what Labor Ready is, it's a joke of a temporary agency. If you want to debate that with me... (And she isn't even the one they would talk to to verify "employment records." It's all on the computer. But I let the phone rep know full well how it was one-day assignment, both times. Both 4 hours. When the hours were. Where the job was. If we were needed back. If I signed an agreement to "report back".. Had to let the rep know about "at will." How it was for ONE DAY... as in, Temporary Labor. One day driving cars at an auction for actually 3.5 hours called 4 hours and the other at a lumber place cutting boards for Home Depot for one night.. Etc etc.)

In any case.. I had the phone interview just Friday. They asked me about the two days I worked one-day jobs. They called up the agency, and apparently verified that; Labor Ready is different in that it really is "day by day" ... So, they called and talked to whoever at Labor Ready, so, seems like I did not "quit" as even their own records were off (If I worked a one-day 4-hour job March 26th and "quit," then how did I work another one day job June 10th and not "quit.") So I was on the phone about 40 minutes, on hold for about 15.. Had to tell them how Amazon fired me over a background check, not for any cause. They asked me a lot of questions about that, said they left a voicemail with someone.

I feel my information will have me approved, since all I did is tell them what happened.

My next question, is, that they told me, "We don't make a determination over the phone, watch for a letter. However, continue to check your balance because, if approved, you will see the payment before the letter." So, I now have 4 weeks "pended," as of today. About how long does it take them to do this kind of thing? (Pay?) *I'm not worried about being approved, they can only drag their feet but for so long.

$32 job, causing all this hassle.

Quote:
My thinking is that you didn't because you thought it was just a one-day job, and they ought to know. There is a high probability that you will lose your benefits if you can't prove that you notified the agency when the job was over. I really do mean PROVE.
I got dispatched for a one-day job.. Was told that, upon being sent out. So I have nothing to worry about. I went, worked, no issues, did not "No Call No Show," Did not quit, Did not get fired, did not get DNR'ed (when an employer marks you "Do Not Return" because you did SO bad.)

NJ called and spoke to them so they got their proof.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorbi82 View Post
I feel my information will have me approved, since all I did is tell them what happened.
You are free to persist in your beliefs. However, Temp Agencies and UI have it's own set of rules, and if you don't learn them and follow them, you will eventually get burned.

In UI, you can be sent for a one-day job, but you are REQUIRED to contact the agency at the end of the assignment and PROVE the attempt. You think that all you have to prove is that it was a one-day job, and that is NOT what the laws, regulations and policies require.

I said before. There are claimants that don't get UI. Not because they didn't call to inform the agency of their availability, but that they can't prove it.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:34 PM

http://nelp.3cdn.net/e66944ab3a4644d338_8gm6bx9ji.pdf Maybe this will help you understand what is happening to you. it was written in 2001, but in the last 14 years, things have only gotten worse.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
http://nelp.3cdn.net/e66944ab3a4644d338_8gm6bx9ji.pdf Maybe this will help you understand what is happening to you. it was written in 2001, but in the last 14 years, things have only gotten worse.
I am happy to see your reply. I'm not mad at you, but even IF they "disqualify" that part of the claim.. It is still silly and insignificant IF they let Labor Ready win (which we don't even know if has happened yet) because it was TWO DAYS OF WORK. So.. about $80, PRE-TAX. And this simply a small part of my claim, as the rest they did not even bat an eyelash about...

I've heard they can hold this up for like two weeks to a month, they even told me that I would see a deposit if it was approved before the letter. They making me scared, though.

About how long, would you say?

Also... Quote:

Quote:
If state law does not require a
temp worker to contact the
agency between jobs, workers
should not be denied UI for failure
to do so.
Whatever happens (and I do hope I get paid,) I think Labor Ready and I are done. They.. really are over the top on this. More than you know.

Wasn't expecting Labor Ready to contest. Damn.. TWO DAYS. WOW. I think Labor Ready will "object," State will override, and then delay, and then I will get paid. Just a thought...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment