Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 05:31 AM

4 posts, read 3,167 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody and thank you for taking the time to read my question. So, I've been working overnights as a full time security guard for about one year and two months. Also since september 2014 I've gone back to college to finish my degree. Last semester (january 2015-may 2015) I was a full time time student; so i was working overnights and my school schedule was crazy because i had classes in the morning and at night. As stated before, the semester finished in may and since I'm eligible for early registration, I registered for next semester (september 2015-december 2015). I've been on summer recess since the second week of may but about two weeks ago (last two weeks of june) I felt palpitations and had to go to the emergency room twice (I've never had them before so i thought something was wrong with my heart). Both times, the doctors checked me and said I was fine, but referred me to see a medical doctor and in case he found out something he would in turn refer me to a cardiologist. Last week I saw the medical doctor and he said my heart is fine, he gave me a prescription for proton pump inhibitors since he noticed I was suffering from acid reflux (based on all the symptoms I've had), and also he gave me a note stating that working overnights is affecting my health since I'm very sleep deprived and I'm not eating well, and that a morning shift is recommended. Now, here is the problem, the same week I had the palpitations but BEFORE seeing the medical doctor, I was offered a position in the morning but I refused since it would interfere with my classes once september comes around (I will have classes from 11:45am-4:05pm). My questions are: If I quit due to the job affecting my health, will I get unemployment benefits? If my employer decides to contest my request for benefits arguing that I was offered a position in the mornings (even though that was before me going to see the medical doctor and getting the note) do I still have a big chance of "winning"? Should I let my employer know about the note the doctor gave me? If I find a part time job in the mornings that will not interfere with my classes, can I get partial unemployment benefits? I really need some advise on this, since I do not want to be without any income and I'm close to graduating. Also it will be hard to find a full time job in the day/afternoon shift as it will likely interfere with my classes once I resume school again in september. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,185,795 times
In your case, don't count it. To get UI you have to be able and available. You're either not available because of school or because of your health. It's mostly the school because it's keeping you from working a day job.

You can show the note to your employer, but if they put you on the day shift, then what? You're off school, I suggest you get some sleep, and a lot of it so that you can get through next semester.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:51 AM

Chyvan thanks for your reply, but just to clarify my health is fine, it's the overnights that it's affecting it

Old 07-05-2015, 08:55 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,441,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joryboy View Post
Chyvan thanks for your reply, but just to clarify my health is fine, it's the overnights that it's affecting it
The overnight shift is only affecting you because you have not arranged your schedule properly.

You can continue to work the overnight shift and go to school you just have to change your school schedule or your work schedule or both and prioritize your time.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
it's the overnights that it's affecting it
So? The employer gave you the chance to work during the day shift and you turned them down because it would interfer with school. You can't do that and expect to get UI. Work has to be your primary goal or you can't have UI. It's not a disability plan, a school stipend, nor a welfare program. It pays you money when you can work but are prevented from doing so for the right reason, and your situation doesn't fit.

Now, if you want UI and to take time off school, you can certainly ask the employer if you can have the day shift job and be sure to let them know it's for medical reasons and be able to substantiate it. If the job is no longer there and they tell you, "no," you can certainly try to get a medical quit. Then you'll have to look for a dayshift job, and maybe you'll get lucky and get into "approved" training and you'll be able to skip the work search and finish school, but be prepared that it won't work out for you.

Old 07-05-2015, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. The problem is I'm already taking advanced classes and they are NOT offered at other times. Two of the classes that I'm taking are even only offered in the fall semester! I feel like my situation is very complicated, what if i find a part time job in the mornings, will I be able to collect partial benefits? Can i call the unemployment office and seek advice from them maybe?

Old 07-05-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
what if i find a part time job in the mornings, will I be able to collect partial benefits?
Unlikely. You can't chose to be part-time and then collect a partial UI benefit. It's an entirely different senario when your employer cuts your hours or fires you and then all you can find is a part-time job.

Quote:
Can i call the unemployment office and seek advice from them maybe?
Go ahead. Usually they say, "we don't deal in hypetheticals. Do it, and then apply and we'll let you know," and by then it's too late. If they do happen to discuss it with you, and tell you "sure, that works." It's not binding if they later deny you. You won't be able to say, "so and so told me I could do that and get benefits."

Old 07-05-2015, 03:34 PM

Ok guys thank you a lot for your advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment