Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 2,239 times

Advertisements

So I currently stay in FloridaI'm moving to California in a month I applied for unemployment benefit in Florida Unemployment makes no more than 275 a week California max is 450 even though I already applied for Florida unemployment benefits can I go ahead and apply for California I haven't received anything yet from Unemployment in Florida just a letter on what I will receive and I feel like I will get more if I'd apply to California can I do that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 02:04 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,389,070 times
My guess is that you have two chances -- slim and none! If you do have any grounds at all, I'm pretty sure that California would have to "carry the ball", since Florida isn't going to want to pay out more dollars that won't be spent in-state.

Most state programs do allow for "partial Unemployment"; that means, if you work a part-time job, the Unemployment claim is reduced, but not by as much as if you weren't working at all. And the unused portion of each week's claim is carried forward, so you can collect for more weeks than would be the case of you took the maximum each week and exhausted the claim earlier.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:32 PM

13,148 posts, read 21,139,081 times
Do you have California nexus for unemployment? That would mean do you have any connection to employment in California prior to being unemployed that would provide a connection to California's unemployment benefits. If you worked outside California, lived outside California, applied outside California, and only are moving to California after being unemployed, you have no nexus and California would not pay you anything. The exception is if you are leaving the military.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:30 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,615,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babii_t_619 View Post
So I currently stay in Florida. I'm moving to California in a month I applied for unemployment benefit in Florida Unemployment makes no more than 275 a week California max is 450 even though I already applied for Florida unemployment benefits can I go ahead and apply for California I haven't received anything yet from Unemployment in Florida just a letter on what I will receive and I feel like I will get more if I'd apply to California can I do that
At present, California will be using a base period of either:
  • April 1, 2014 - March 31, 2015; or
  • July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015
If you have no California wages in either base period, CA won't pay you a benefit.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:07 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,389,070 times
I'm not 100% certain on this one, but drawing from experience in Pennsylvania (I worked for the Pennsylvania Department of Labor Unemployment bureau for a short time in 2009) if the initial claim is filed in California and no California wages are documented, the claim will then be forwarded to Florida, and Florida rules would apply.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 2,239 times
thanks everybody for the advice is just a friend of mine moved to Florida from New Jersey and he hasn't worked in Florida and he applied for Unemployment out here and he got it so I thought I had to go by your location I mean where you live at because I feel like Unemployment goes also go by the cost of living and its going to cost more to live in California then Florida

Old 08-05-2015, 10:14 AM

4,676 posts, read 10,026,702 times
Your benefit rate regardless of where you move to........will be based upon the state in which you worked.

You will not receive CA benefit rates.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:27 AM

13,148 posts, read 21,139,081 times
Quote:
thanks everybody for the advice is just a friend of mine moved to Florida from New Jersey and he hasn't worked in Florida and he applied for Unemployment out here and he got it so I thought I had to go by your location I mean where you live at because I feel like Unemployment goes also go by the cost of living and its going to cost more to live in California then Florida
Not sure how they did that, but they messed up as Florida's benefits are horrible compared to New Jersey's. We always try to get a person to file anywhere but Florida if there's a remote chance they can get benefits elsewhere, but their bed to sleep on.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:41 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,168,372 times
Amazing that someone from NJ would brag about getting FL claim. Serves him right if that's really what happened.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:38 PM

25,597 posts, read 56,615,683 times
Quote:
thanks everybody for the advice is just a friend of mine moved to Florida from New Jersey and he hasn't worked in Florida and he applied for Unemployment out here

and he got it so I thought I had to go by your location I mean where you live at because I feel like Unemployment goes also go by the cost of living and its going to cost more to live in California then Florida
By "out here" you mean he applied TO the State of New Jersey for benefits while living in FL. People do this all the time. Move to another state after a job loss and apply for benefits from the state where they worked and to which wages were reported.

FL will not pay when wages are not in its database.

Since NJ pays 60% of average weekly wage for 26 weeks up to $646/wk - vs. FL's paltry $275 for about 14 weeks, it would a pitiful shame if by some fluke FL is paying the benefit.

I don't believe it.

Ask your friend which state is paying his benefit, through which state he is filing his weekly claims, what his weekly benefit is, and for how long.

If, by some remote chance, he is receiving a FL benefit - well, my condolences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment