Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,007 times

Advertisements

I have been stressed to an unhealthy point due to harrasment after i followed company policy and reported saftey issues, the conditions i work in, and constants threats by my direct superintendant. I reported these issues and some were resolved but it simply changed into unreasonable requests of my position, unmanagable demands that have been used against me as job performance. I really need my job and have done everything to remain professionally composed but i have found myself breaking down and unable to remain professional in the work place. I asked for leave and untill i made a formal email demanding my rights to the benfits of my position did i recieve any information from HR. I have even resorted to seeking help from mental health doctors,couselors, and therapist to try and cope and remain capable but the challenges of doing all this and worrying that im being targeted for termination has just added more stress. I have been away from my position and everyday i dont have contact i find relief and its painfully obvious i just cannot work for this employer and i have a desire and ability to work. What supporting information would lead unemployment to grant my unemployment so i can resign this position and move on to find a suitable work enviroment? Is this even relative to a "good cause" to quit and be eligible for unemployment? I want to believe if anyone was asked to handle this workload under these conditions they would seek to quit and i understand that to be the requirment but so many factors make this situation fall into legal venues and i just want to work and not have to go that route. Can i quit, and what statements in my resignation would make me eligible to recieve unemployment that at max would equal less than 1/4th of my monthly salary. Ill take the loss but i would be finacially ruined if i had nothing to supplement. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 06:39 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,092,537 times
The stress is not good cause unless you're under a doctor's care. However, as I read this, I think you're trying to say that your employer is increasing your workload, and that is causing the stress. The thing is that the employer increasing your workload without increasing your pay (as in they get a better deal) is the makings of a good cause quit. You don't have to play the medical card.

The problem with medical quits is that it can be good cause, but then you can just as quickly be labelled not able and available, and you still come out a loser.

Also, if the employer is cranking up the work, you could just work at the pace you always did, and if fired, that's not misconduct.

My personal opinion is that you need to learn what misconduct is so that you can go to work with confidence, do what you can, and if you get fired for it, then you're chances at getting UI are so much better than if you quit.

I quit because of adverse changes to my employment. It took me 12 months before I saw a nickel of my UI. From your story, I don't think you have the stamina for it. You do what you were hired to do, and not a stitch more work or different duties. If you're willing to quit over something, you need to be just as willing to be fired for it.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,007 times
I think you misunderstood my motives but thank you for the reaponse and the information. Im not trying to find a way to just collect Unemployment. I am in a situation I could no longer continue working for this company nor would i allow my reputation or my work ethic be altered or damaged just to recieve benefits. I cannot continue working at this place because in fact i have seen a doctor and he has prescribed medication to treat the effects and he is my primary care doctor. I have obtained an attorney to deal with the legal matters concerning wrongful termination since the quit was consider descutive and forced and that was advisement from my attorney. My concern was only what information do i need to tell Unemployment to ensure i get those benefits during the process of looking for anither job. Which i am happy to report is at a point where I have multiple offers. I will be excepting one of the positions but still have not even had my phone inyerview. I could definatlu use whatever benefits i am entitled to to take off some of the finacial burden so again my question remains. What should i tell or even not say to the determination represenative from EDD that will see that i get them. Thanks again for any feedback.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinl View Post
I think you misunderstood my motives but thank you for the reaponse and the information. Im not trying to find a way to just collect Unemployment.
I don't care why you want benefits. If the rules allow you to collect in such a situation, I'll tell you what to do.

What I am telling you is quitting over a CHANGE in work done by your employer is a heck of a lot easier than quitting for medical reasons.

Quote:
I am in a situation I could no longer continue working for this company
I disagree. You could have kept doing the same work you used to do when you had no trouble. That is all you are required to do.

Quote:
nor would i allow my reputation or my work ethic be altered or damaged just to recieve benefits.
The UI system has NEVER given a claimant a break because they "quit," and it looked better on a resume.

Quote:
My concern was only what information do i need to tell Unemployment to ensure i get those benefits during the process of looking for anither job.
You need to present a medical diagnosis from a doctor.

You need to prove that you went to your employer to fix the problem.

That the employer did nothing

Only then did you quit.

Because you want to go medical, you then have the added burden of proving:

That you're only too sick to do the job that you had

But not so sick to do any other work.

Expect a denial from EDD, and that you'll need to appeal the initial determination and take it up at an appeal hearing.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,492 times
I was told to poison a raccoon with fly bait and mountain dew and to leave an unmarked bowl in the possible reach of a guest in a high profile resort and convention center I would also not be a part of the practice to throw the poisoned raccoon in a field where the bald eagle would be given a chance to eat it and die its self. I admitted out loud that I was seventh day Adventist and then they drilled a hole in a bible then bolted a chain to it and hung it on my tool box (i was written up for insubordination when following company protocol by seeking help from another member of management, I was on the companies tax deduction for being disabled yet recieved threatening emails about my competency.

Old 02-04-2017, 06:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,492 times
the state unemployment office said I could not prove good cause for quiting

Old 02-05-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripurpleum View Post
could not prove
That's probably true. Having good cause, and proving good cause are two different things. Same thing happens when people get fired. Proving misconduct, and there being misconduct are two different things.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,885,498 times
"I was told to poison a raccoon with fly bait and mountain dew and to leave an unmarked bowl in the possible reach of a guest in a high profile resort and convention center"

That is utterly bizarre, what do you suppose was the purpose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment