Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 1,445 times

Advertisements

Hello, im new to this forum and i have a question?
There is a case pending against me because over a month ago i accepted a temp job with a staffing agency i went to work 1 day for the staffing agency and when i worked that one day i found out i was physically unable to do the job, it was in a warehouse environment and lifting heavy boxes which is something i cant do due to a back problems, so the next day i didnt go back because i was physically unable to do the job, and i didnt know this when i started the job, ive never had a physical labor job before, so when i accepted this job i didnt know what i was getting myself into, well i hadn't been at that job in over a month and when i tried to request benefits today it had said there was a hold on my benefits, well when i called and talked to the unemployment office she told me to call this number (Tomorrow because today is Sunday) and have the case closed, i told her i only worked for that staffing agency for a day, i didnt go into details about that job and she didnt seem to take interest in it all she said was when that case closes my benefits will resume, but my question is, tomorrow when i call that number she told me to call, im a little worried because, i was receiving benefits before i had got on with this staffing agency and now im worried that since i didnt go back to the temp agency that unemployment will use that as "I quit" even though i was physically unable to do the job, is there a solution to this is this a good cause for quitting? Am i still gonna be eligible for benefits? Im currently looking for another full time job but i have bills coming up soon and really need my benefits right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you,
Hannah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:06 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,083,682 times
Did you go see a doctor?

Old 07-24-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Did you go see a doctor?
No i didnt because i dont have health insurance anymore.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:21 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Did you tell anyone at the warehouse company or the staffing agency that you can not physically do the job, or did you just decide not to show up or tell anyone?

If you can not physically do a physically demanding job and have to quit on your first day, that is not disqualifying. But if you just walked off into the sunset, you just threw all your benefits away.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Did you tell anyone at the warehouse company or the staffing agency that you can not physically do the job, or did you just decide not to show up or tell anyone?

If you can not physically do a physically demanding job and have to quit on your first day, that is not disqualifying. But if you just walked off into the sunset, you just threw all your benefits away.
Thanks for your reply...unfortunately im probably gonna lose my benefits....no i didn't tell anyone at the company that i was physically unable to do the job....so im gonna take responsibility for this, im really kicking myself in the face for this...Ill call tomorrow and hopefully ill be able to talk my way into still receiving my benefits, but if not im just gonna keep applying to jobs in hopes of getting a job before the start of August, this was my 1st time ever getting unemployment and next time im definitely gonna know what to do, ill just take this as a learning experience...

Old 07-24-2016, 10:46 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Just don't mention not telling anyone. Just say you were physically unable to do the job because you just couldn't lift the weight of the boxes. Also just say that it was so evident you were incapable that is why you were there only one day. Try not to go into any medical conditions of the back as that will often required medical documentation. You are going to have to be honest about this being a quit because the company probably has no idea why you left and certainly will protest any claim that they terminated you.

Now, think back carefully, did you mention or have any discussion about your ability to physically do the job to anyone at the warehouse? Maybe a supervisor, floor manager, anyone in any supervisory, management or human resource position? The senior warehouse worker?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment