Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 12:24 AM

6 posts, read 2,652 times

Advertisements

I went back to school 9/26, so when i filed my claim on ui online i marked the box that I started school that week....then it want me to list the school number and name of school and times of all my classes. Which i was honest about...most of my classes are from 1 to 4 and one day 9 to 6, but I called my edd card & it looks like they still paid me. I though when you marked youre going to school they stop payments? ha this happened to anyone b4? do you think this will turn into an overpayment

Also i start a new pt job this week, do I have to keep certifying for benefits? can I just stop and let it cancel..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 12:41 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymel9 View Post
I though when you marked youre going to school they stop payments?
Going to school is not always disqualifying. They should have stopped your benefits to investigate, but maybe they were happy with the information that you provided. Take the money, spend it, and if it becomes an overpayment, come back, and we'll tell you about the different ways to avoid repaying it.

So long as you were honest, and it's a non-fraud overpayment, there's a lot you can do to stiff EDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymel9 View Post
Also i start a new pt job this week, do I have to keep certifying for benefits? can I just stop and let it cancel..
PT work is not always disqualifying either. If your part-time work doesn't pay enough compared to your UI benefit, EDD will give you the difference. Keep filing. If they pay you, then great. If not, and your schedule is rather static and there is no reason to believe you'll ever get a partial benefit, then you can stop at that time, but don't leave money on the table.

Old 10-10-2016, 01:11 AM

6 posts, read 2,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
come back, and we'll tell you about the different ways to avoid repaying it.

just curious but how can you avoid repaying it?

Old 10-10-2016, 01:26 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,089,688 times
EDD is constrained in their collection efforts. You can apply for a waiver, file bankruptcy, adjust your withholding so that there is no refund to take, and hope that you don't need EDD services in the next 6 years. Eventually the debt is written off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment