Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2018, 06:20 PM

12 posts, read 6,619 times

Advertisements

For anyone that can help me understand this.

In May 2017 I went out on SDI, basically i was fired on 11/01/2017, My Unemployment began a few days after that and obviously finished before my year was up. This is where I am confused, lets say I am still unemployed in nov 2018, how do the calculate my base periods. From what month to what month? And what is LAG?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:54 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,185,795 times
The same as any other base period. EDD throws out Oct to Dec, July to Sept, and your base period is July, 2017, to June, 2018.

Since you stopped working in May, then you have no lag. Lag is the UNUSED wages when you file a claim.

Pretend you lost your job today. The lag would be April to June that is ignored, and Jan to Mar that is skipped.

Had you known when you'd recover enough, you might have applied for UI sooner rather than having your quarters age away. However, it's a tough call especially when your employer says they'll hold your job for you.

Old 06-12-2018, 09:02 AM

268 posts, read 209,824 times
Actually, at least in CA, doesn't EDD recognize SDI payments for the lag period? So, if OP received SDI benefits from July to October and also meets the "some work" criteria, they could possibly be eligible for a 2nd year claim in Nov 2018, right?

3. Using Disability Insurance or Workers’ Compensation
Disability Insurance (DI) and Workers’ Compensation (WC) payments, including benefits paid in or through another state or by the federal government, may be used to satisfy the requirements of Section 1277 under either of the following conditions:
  • If the claimant was not paid any benefits on the prior claim, and was disabled and entitled to receive either DI or WC to compensate for wage loss, the claimant may use the amount of DI or WC paid to satisfy the earnings requirement; or
  • If the claimant was paid benefits on the prior claim and has satisfied the "some work" requirement, the claimant may use twice the dollar amount of the DI or WC payments to meet the earnings requirement.
NOTE: DI and WC payments are not usable as "wages" to determine the award on the claim, they are usable only for the specific purpose of validating earnings from the lag period.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:34 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,185,795 times
That's what it says, but in practice, all anyone has reported is that EDD shifted things a quarter to get some wages in. It's rarely resulted in a big payday for anyone. It might be different for this person, but no has really come back to brag about how great things worked out. Even then, that shifting was for those that applied for UI and SDI at the same time, were sick a really long time, and by the time they got better the claim had expired with no money drawn.

This person got the disability, and 6 months of UI, and is trying to get more, so I'm of the opinion that the person should try, not expect much, and then tell us how it worked out so we can tell the next person, but this topic is kind of rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment