Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 10:29 PM

4 posts, read 1,808 times

Advertisements

I was recently terminated from my job for not performing. I signed a slip saying involuntary term when they payed me out. I put involuntary terminated on my app due to not meeting expectations. The EDD letter asks have i been warned about termination before and if so, when and how was i paid on my last paycheck among other things. I was written up multiple times for performance to the point of harrassment but i dont have exact dates except for the last one. should i take the interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 10:49 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,107,425 times
NO! Your employer is fully capable of doing it all by themselves. If you do it, and your employer does nothing because they are too busy running a business, you can cause your own denial all by yourself.

Fired claimants need to SHUT UP!

Next time you apply for UI, stop at "fired." It was unnecessary to provide the "not meeting expectations." It looks too much like a confession. Let the employer PROVE that you weren't meeting expectations, don't admit to it so they are let off the hook of doing their required task with the UI people.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:56 PM

so just totally ignore the call with EDD? Then what happens?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:12 PM

Yes. You wait. If you get denied, we'll work on the appeal. If approved, it's over. However, the last thing you want to do is talk, and be denied. Then you'll be scratching your head wondering how you're going to deal with your appeal. You'll have to try to figure out if it was something you said or your employer that got you denied. When you keep your mouth shut and get denied, then you'll know it was because of your employer and can start figuring out what they can bring to the table as evidence as opposed to how you're going to fight your own words.

No one has ever had a denial notice that said, "you've been denied because you didn't take the call." It's always because they did something wrong, and that information can come from YOU or your employer. Let it come from the employer.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:18 PM

**UPDATE** I am happy to say I was finally approved for benefits after two phone appointments. I thought my second appointment was going to be about my employer saying something different than what I said, but it ended up being about PTO and other amounts on my final paycheck. I thought it would be better to take the call, since I really didn't have anything to hide. If anyone has questions, let me know.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:32 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,036,777 times
Keep an eye out for an employer appeal. In CA, employers have wised up to the ways of unemployment. Many now as a routine do not respond to unemployment. The hope is that the claimant will respond to unemployment and explain their position. When you do that, your former employer will now get a copy of everything you said. When they appeal, they have the advantage of knowing what your statements were and can tailor all their evidence to defeat what you said. Unfortunately, when this happens, their success rate in getting the determination reversed and denying benefits to the employee goes up tremendously. So, hopefully your employer just didn't care and still doesn't care and they decide not to appeal.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliie View Post
I thought it would be better to take the call, since I really didn't have anything to hide.
While it worked out, and sometimes it does for now, it was NOT the best strategy. You really do have something to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliie View Post
terminated from my job for not performing.

I was written up multiple times for performance
This can be turned into misconduct if your employer cares to do the work. Because you opened your mouth to EDD, you won't have the upper hand at a hearing, but your employer might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment