Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2018, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 2,774 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has been through this process. So long story short was i worked in RI my current residence and i was laid off due to lack of work 2 months ago. I never collected before and was googling info and was told to wait 2-3 weeks before filling. I did so on my phone i do not have a pc. I thought it went through waited about 15-20 business days never received anything all people told me was it takes a while. Made a few calls said they never got anything so i did it all over again on someones pc. Now i spoke with everyone and its finally in course of action to collect. But the man i was on the phone with told me that i have to do an adjudication call to try to get back pay and provide evidence that i tried ? Whats the odd of getting the back pay ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 12:51 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIworker1 View Post
i have to do an adjudication call to try to get back pay and provide evidence that i tried ? Whats the odd of getting the back pay ?
The odds have to do with your PROOF. If you get told, "no," and you really want the money back to the date of the failed application, then you get an in-person hearing scheduled, and you demonstrate for the judge the actions that you took on your phone, and that you had no clue the application didn't go through because it makes you think everything was just fine.

When it's NOT your fault, then you stand a very good chance. Forgetting to apply or thinking you'd get a job right away is not a good reason, but applying and having the application fail IS.

Think this through. If you think you're going to collect your 26 weeks or whatever of UI, then it's pointless to do the work. If you think you'll get a job BEFORE 26 weeks in the future and these weeks are weeks that you could have had but will now be lost, then you might want to do it. I would do it because the future is hard to predict and you're out of work and should have the time. However, if you get a job before you can get a favorable decision, it's ok to decide it's not worth the effort.

The people that told you to wait, were idiots. There can be reasons to wait but a blanket "two to three weeks" is wrong. You usually apply on the DAY you lose your job if you have 18-months of steady income. However, if you have fluctuating income or a spotty work history then you might want to wait to time the addition of a better high wage quarter. You also might have been fired, and you know your boss is going on maternity leave or on a long vacation, and you might want to control your filing so that when the UI people call to find out "why," they won't be able to get the answer from the correct person.

Last edited by Chyvan; 12-24-2018 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 12:59 PM

what would i need for proof ? My brother has been collecting and i was calling from his phone. Im not sure what proof they would need there borderline impossible to get in contact with ive been calling them for 2 weeks and just got through to someone. What do you think the odds are i would get the backpay approved before apealling if this is what i tell them ?

Old 12-24-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
what would i need for proof
The solid proof is a demonstration of your attempt to apply from your phone in front of a judge at a hearing. Other than that, you have NOTHING other than your say-so. A UI worker doing a "phone interview" probably won't believe you, but maybe you'll get lucky and a hearing won't be necessary.

Quote:
? My brother has been collecting and i was calling from his phone.
Submitting an application and using your phone to submit (bi)weekly claim forms are TWO entirely different things.

Quote:
Im not sure what proof they would need there borderline impossible to get in contact with ive been calling them for 2 weeks and just got through to someone.
The proof they want is that you TRIED weeks ago and failed. Testimony is evidence, but people lie. If someone was watching you do it, that person could also testify, and then there are TWO people telling the same story. You might have been videoing yourself, taking a selfie, or made a screen capture.

Lots of things can be proof, but in your story as you told it, it's just you talking. A demonstration in front of a judge where everything looks like it's working, and you saying it didn't, starts to tip the scales.

Quote:
What do you think the odds are i would get the backpay approved before apealling if this is what i tell them ?
With a UI worker, I put the odds at zero. Most UI workers are just plain awful to deal with. With a judge, pretty good.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:10 PM

i mean they have an active phone system that records wont they just see the phone history of the number i called from did make phone call to them atleast ? Also i mean its christmas season why would i not want to apply to make sure i have money for holidays maybe they will look at that ?

Old 12-24-2018, 01:13 PM

You can't ever count on them checking that. If you have phone logs showing an outgoing call from YOU to them to check if your application was received, then print that out before it's lost, and you can use that too at a hearing, or a UI worker might let you fax or mail it to them. However, we have lots a threads where people have sent stuff in and the UI people make crazy decisions like they never got it or just plain ignored it.

Those recordings that companies make are for THEIR use. They never want to share them to help you out. Learn that. Try getting a video from a store. They won't do it unless the police ask for it, not you.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
What they need is any proof you filed and nothing indicated something was wrong.

Let's try these:
1. Many smartphones will record the browsing history from that device. Find it on the phone, print it out and use it to show what days you accessed websites for unemployment.

2. Some smartphones will log all web pages you maneuvered through while on a search. Find that log, print it out.

3. Some smartphones store screen shots of all web pages you visited. Find it and print it out.

4. Print out any record or log from any phones you have used to call unemployment.

The biggest problem you may face is all these items could have been erased, deleted or purged due to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment