Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 10:52 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
I was thinking if I need to make an effort to go attend NY equivalent of Mass Hire centers or what I'm doing in terms of demonstrating the job search online is sufficient?
If the other poster has recent MA UI experience and didn't have to register with MassHire, then you can skip it.

However, most states require that you register with "job service." My state auto registers you while filling out the online UI application. The people in CA have to submit a resume on CalJobs.

Therefore, if you don't know the requirement, register because it doesn't hurt you. If you were supposed to, and didn't, then your benefits don't get paid until you do. Why have benefits possibly lost for something that was so easy to do except it seems with you and MA that it's not easy, that's why I'd earlier suggested NY because it's the equivalent, and would be seen as compliance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 12:11 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Thanks for your reply! Yes, I'm doing online resume on the job boards and enter that information when I claim UI weekly benefits. The online website asks to enter the name of the person contacted, mode of contact (email, phone etc), job title and few options as to what's the response.. things like follow up requested, no response etc. In most cases, I end up entering no response as online resume submission go into a black hole!

What's a BSA?

I was thinking if I need to make an effort to go attend NY equivalent of Mass Hire centers or what I'm doing in terms of demonstrating the job search online is sufficient?
What you are doing is enough, no need to do anything else to satisfy the state. It's very automated today.
On the main screen there is a brief table showing your prior weeks claimed - the very first one would be the waiting week (the state doesn't pay out the first week claimed ever), then the rest of them. At this point, IIRC it'll say $0 and pending. If you did something wrong, like not filling out 3 days, it will say it's not accepted.

The BSA is the Boston Society of Architects, the local AIA chapter.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:56 PM

514 posts, read 438,679 times
The NY job centers don't seem to offer the option to register online. I think one needs to walk in or setup an appointment on phone but I will look more into it. I may upload resume on the Mass JobQuest site.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
If the other poster has recent MA UI experience and didn't have to register with MassHire, then you can skip it.

However, most states require that you register with "job service." My state auto registers you while filling out the online UI application. The people in CA have to submit a resume on CalJobs.

Therefore, if you don't know the requirement, register because it doesn't hurt you. If you were supposed to, and didn't, then your benefits don't get paid until you do. Why have benefits possibly lost for something that was so easy to do except it seems with you and MA that it's not easy, that's why I'd earlier suggested NY because it's the equivalent, and would be seen as compliance.

Old 03-05-2019, 12:59 PM

The weeks are properly claimed in my case except the status shows "Hold" since I recently responded to the online "Quit - Questionnaire" so it's being reviewed..in wait and see mode now..

The available options to show the efforts by the applicants also include MassHire centers so that threw me off a little .. it appears that it's one of the things one can do but not mandatory..to be honest..I don't know if it's mandatory to do so..I suppose if the claimant is receiving benefits for quite some time and has not attended any of those seminars, he/she may be asked to do so..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
What you are doing is enough, no need to do anything else to satisfy the state. It's very automated today.
On the main screen there is a brief table showing your prior weeks claimed - the very first one would be the waiting week (the state doesn't pay out the first week claimed ever), then the rest of them. At this point, IIRC it'll say $0 and pending. If you did something wrong, like not filling out 3 days, it will say it's not accepted.

The BSA is the Boston Society of Architects, the local AIA chapter.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 PM

25 posts, read 19,919 times
hi I just found this post and can relate, I worked in Mass live in NY filed for unemployment jan 28th and im still waiting!!! I requested a call back and the rep could not tell me anything?? I have not received anymore forms to fill out or anything. 3 weeks after I claimed I was told my monetary amount, I claim every week and all the weeks are on hold??? im so stressed out over this... I have heard it can take 6 weeks sometimes more..

Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 PM

27 posts, read 23,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missfrosty61 View Post
hi I just found this post and can relate, I worked in Mass live in NY filed for unemployment jan 28th and im still waiting!!! I requested a call back and the rep could not tell me anything?? I have not received anymore forms to fill out or anything. 3 weeks after I claimed I was told my monetary amount, I claim every week and all the weeks are on hold??? im so stressed out over this... I have heard it can take 6 weeks sometimes more..
MA is notoriously slow with processing claims. This could go on for eight weeks, maybe even longer. I hope they get to your claim soon!

Old 03-09-2019, 05:20 AM

25 posts, read 19,919 times
Thank you for replying as I have never claimed before and had no idea the wait was this long! I am beyond stressed out waiting and feel helpless, I asked if there was anything I can do to speed it up the rep said no just wait!! I know there many others going through this also..

Old 03-09-2019, 03:53 PM

Hi there,
sorry to hear about your experience with Mass DUA. I'm no expert and have recently started my UI claim. In my case, the monetary determination was completed almost next day but received a questionnaire online to fill presumably to determine if I quit vs laid off/terminated. Have been waiting since. Overall my wait from applying till today would be roughly three weeks. Part of the delay in some cases seems to be from delay in getting the response from claimants and employers and if there's any dispute in what claimant states and what the employer reported to DUA.

I'm only guessing but if you don't have any pending questionnaire or form to fill for you in your claim, as long as you are claiming weekly benefits, you may simply have to wait it out at this point.

Sucks to wait and I can relate. Feel free to send DM if I can be of any help. Wish you the best as you go through the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missfrosty61 View Post

Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 PM

Received vacation pay but forgot to update Yes/No question on whether received partial income/vacation pay etc when claiming weekly benefits. The online application allows to Update Partial earnings for any claimed weeks..I think I should update the week with partial earnings now that I've already claimed it. Was honest mistake..knew vacation pay was coming but didn't check bank account to see if it was deposited.

When I go to Update Earnings for past week, it gives me following options:

Massachusetts Employment
Non-Massachusetts Employment
Federal Civilian Employment
Military Service

When I select Mass. Employment from drop down, the name of the former employer correctly populates and it gives me option to enter dollar amount. It doesn't allow me to state whether it's vacation pay.

Also worried that I said when claiming the weekly benefits that I didn't receive any income for the week being claimed..was honest mistake..not sure if by updating the income this way would suffice.

Thoughts?

Old 03-10-2019, 04:08 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
You may not have to update at all. On most state UI applications, it asks you about vacation pay. Your employer is asked about vacation pay. If it was already reported on your UI application, then it doesn't need to be reported on the weekly claim form.

Vacation isn't always held against you. Some states have adopted the methodology that when you don't have a job to go to, then it wasn't a vacation at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment