Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 09:47 AM

6 posts, read 4,399 times

Advertisements

I need help. I had been employed as a receptionist at a real estate company for 2 years and i obtained my real estate license. I was unable to pay the high costs associated with my license, over $1000. My employer told me I had to pay the $1000 or they would "demote" me to 3 days of work a week as the receptionist. His wording was "pay or we're done here." So I told him that was not fair and i guess we are done. Handed in my key and left. I was able to receive unemployment benefits and of course they appealed. 2 months go by and i find out today that i have lost the appeal, to which i plan to appeal that decision. Anyone ever worked 2 different job titles for the same company and had one adversely affect the other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 01:51 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,157,065 times
Type in your denial, and the question you're asking isn't going to help you. If someone says, "yes," then so what? You want to know how to challenge a denial after a hearing to the board of review. We have about a 50% success rate on getting hearings overturned which is about 20% better than the statistical average.

Another question you should be asking is: How can I keep from paying back the money I already received. We have an answer for that too, but it depends on your state.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:33 PM

6,478 posts, read 9,861,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Type in your denial, and the question you're asking isn't going to help you. If someone says, "yes," then so what? You want to know how to challenge a denial after a hearing to the board of review. We have about a 50% success rate on getting hearings overturned which is about 20% better than the statistical average.

Another question you should be asking is: How can I keep from paying back the money I already received. We have an answer for that too, but it depends on your state.
She also posted this in the Kentucky forum, maybe there.

Old 02-22-2020, 09:48 PM

She posted twice and was logged even tonight and has done no follow up. I'm not going to waste a lot of energy typing because I really don't think she's serious about trying to fix the problem rather than just finding people to commiserate with.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post

I am sorry for the odd or vague question, I have never been in this situation and am confused. I was originally given my unemployment on the grounds that I had left with due cause. I was originally a full time employee as a secretary, then gained my RE license on my own time and money. However, I was unable to come up with the $1000 for a fee that has nothing to do with actually keeping my license, just to be part of a MLS, which is not required of my license but of that office. So thats when i was told they would demote me to 3 days a week. That was not what i was hired for, i was hired as a full time employee. So i won my case originally on that aspect. My employer then appealed. I was just recently denied and this is what their reasoning was "the determination is reversed. the claimant voluntarily quit suitable work conditions without good attributable to the employment and is disqualified from receiving benefits."

I just dont understand how demoting me from my FT position because of something to do with my separate duties as a realtor can be considered my fault.

Again, sorry for the confusion. This is a first for me and am upset.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:15 AM

You need to type in the decision with the findings of fact and the reasoning and conclusions of law. That little blurb you got out of it will not help you if you're going to the board of review.

Full-time to part-time isn't always a good cause quit:

https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Volunta...Q_500.htm#Time

But reductions in hours can cause other things to happen that are good cause, and I hope for your sake that you raised the issues at your hearing.

https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Volunta...istanceandCost

https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Voluntary_Quit_VQ_440.htm

https://www.edd.ca.gov/UIBDG/Volunta..._500.htm#Wages think benefits, vacation, and holiday pay that part-time workers typically lose.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:18 AM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment