Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2020, 04:14 PM

63 posts, read 38,144 times

Advertisements

I've seen talk of EB payments for when people's additional 13 weeks of PEUC run out. How does this work? Is it separate from the other emergency provisions or am I confusing things? I'm in VA. My normal UI expired, I qualified for 13 weeks of PEUC which will expire mid-Sept.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:43 AM

Does anyone have knowledge of this? I'm looking at the attached graphic:
Attached Thumbnails
How does EB work?-unemployment-plan.jpg  

Old 08-10-2020, 08:27 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,766,820 times
Sorry, I didn't even know anything came after PEUC. Hopefully, someone will be able to chime in on this for you.... :-)

Old 08-10-2020, 09:03 AM

42 posts, read 29,188 times
I don’t know how VA is doing it but from what I’ve read for my state, PA, when your PEUC runs out you then roll into the EB. You might get a letter from your state, you might not.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee4595 View Post
I don’t know how VA is doing it but from what I’ve read for my state, PA, when your PEUC runs out you then roll into the EB. You might get a letter from your state, you might not.
Ok thanks. So in the event I need it, maybe I need to do another application via the app or just keep filing weekly...

Old 08-10-2020, 09:21 AM

42 posts, read 29,188 times
That part is definitely unclear. I For PA, I think if you are still in your benefit year it might happen automatically and you just keep filing, but if your year expired you might have to file a new claim first.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:24 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,769,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymann View Post
Ok thanks. So in the event I need it, maybe I need to do another application via the app or just keep filing weekly...
if you're eligible for the EB extension and can't establish a 2nd year UI claim it would be automatic. Virginia is 13 weeks of EB. Here is the explanation for why it's 13 weeks. Virginia hasn't adopted an alternative trigger giving 7 more weeks of EB.

The number of weeks of EB in a state equals the smaller of 13 weeks or half the maximum number of weeks of regular UI in the state, unless the state has adopted an alternative trigger that adds up to seven more weeks when the state’s unemployment rate triggers on a High Unemployment Period (HUP) allowing up to 20 weeks of EB (but no more than 80 percent of the number of regular weeks the state provides). Alaska, California, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, and Washington are now in a HUP.

Below are the requirements for the EB (Extended Benefits) extension.

4. Basic Qualifications and Temporary Changes to EB Program Requirements.

a. Basic Qualifications for EB. EB is payable only after exhaustion of PEUC and other UC as explained below.

During the period that PEUC is available, an individual must have exhausted PEUC entitlement before commencing receipt of EB. To qualify for EB the individual must have: • exhausted all rights to regular UC under state law;
• no rights to regular UC with respect to any UC law of another state or Canada;
• exhausted PEUC; • wages in the base period (with respect to the regular UC claim that was exhausted) that includes one of the following: (1) 20 weeks of full-time covered employment; (2) wages higher than 40 times the individual’s most recent weekly benefit amount; or (3) total wages in the base period equal to or greater than 1.5 times the highest quarter (see Section 202(a)(5), EUCA);
• no disqualifications that would prevent the individual from being eligible for EB (see Section 202(a)(4), EUCA); and
• at least one week in the benefit year that begins in an EB eligibility period (see Section 203(c), EUCA)

Old 08-13-2020, 07:04 AM

I've been reading that PUA benefits are available for 39 weeks. I started getting regular UI at the end of last Dec. My regular UI expired (26 weeks). When my 13 weeks of PUEC expires next month will EB still be available to me or is that it since I went a total of 39 weeks?

Old 08-13-2020, 11:10 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,769,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymann View Post
I've been reading that PUA benefits are available for 39 weeks. I started getting regular UI at the end of last Dec. My regular UI expired (26 weeks). When my 13 weeks of PUEC expires next month will EB still be available to me or is that it since I went a total of 39 weeks?
Yes it should be available if you meet the eligibility requirements for EB.

UI 26 + PEUC 13 + EB 13 (# of weeks in Virginia) for a total of 52 weeks.

PUA claims are 39 weeks and PUA claimants in most states should be getting just the 7 weeks of EB.

Old 08-14-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Yes it should be available if you meet the eligibility requirements for EB.

UI 26 + PEUC 13 + EB 13 (# of weeks in Virginia) for a total of 52 weeks.

PUA claims are 39 weeks and PUA claimants in most states should be getting just the 7 weeks of EB.
Ok people on other forums are saying no. We shall see. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment