Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 06:30 PM

143 posts, read 89,449 times

Advertisements

hi guys. has anyone seen this? (see quote and link below). i wonder if they heard people's outcry about it the 1st time. some of us that are self employed work part time jobs to supplement. and my state, would not consider my self employment income at all. they flat out told me that they would only consider my W2 (my part time gig). they said "reportable income takes precedence". although this doesn't even put a dent on my losses, it is nice if it is true. it means that they are trying to resolve existing issues instead of blindly ignoring those of us in this grey area.

but for some reason, this is the only article i'm finding that is addressing it. like last time, i have a feeling things are going to get lost in interpretation and are going to be just tossed away and will never be implemented or states are going to decide to do whatever they want instead. like the SBA decided to do $1000 instead of the 10K that was in the bill.

Link: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/ca...loyment-43031/

Quote from article "CARES Act II contains a new provision: unemployed or underemployed independent contractors who have an income mix from self-employment and wages paid by an employer are still eligible for PUA. Under CARES Act I, any such worker was typically eligible only for a state-issued benefit based on their wages. Under CARES Act II, though, the individual now is eligible for an additional weekly benefit of $100 if he/she earned at least $5,000 a year in self-employment income. The $100 weekly payment, which would be added to the $300 weekly benefit, also will expire on March 14."

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 07:46 PM

I found the provision inside the new bill. from the copy I have it's on page 1956.. it's Subchapter VI Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation. It looks like the states have the "option" to participate in this but not mandatory. YA RIGHT. Who wants to bet Texas at least is NOT going to bother with it. They were barely able to adjust their system to accommodate us the first round. With my interaction with them, they are NOT people that are innovators or progressives. They are paper pushers and robots. If the keyboard does not let them do it, they will NOT.

I'm sorry to be so negative. I'm so over how little people's lives mean to agencies. It is such a big machine that we all become numbers and nothing else. Something they can check off their charts, and count us as "served". It's bad enough I even have to apply for unemployment .. then i'm made to feel incompetent that can barely get bills covered on UI that is calculated off of a part time job

Old 01-11-2021, 06:43 PM

Does anyone have ANY feedback about this? I'm not hearing anything about it on social media. Was it just a waste of ink for them to even put this in the bill and make it optional. government would never do something because they feel our pain. everything has to do with money and politics. Feels insulting and another slap in the face. they literally think we are morons. let's throw good things in out there even if it's not enforceable. What a joke.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:43 AM

61 posts, read 32,583 times
I’m here to ask the same question... what is the status of this program in NY?
Was it just a mirage?

Old 03-28-2021, 07:39 AM

61 posts, read 32,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaade View Post
Does anyone have ANY feedback about this? I'm not hearing anything about it on social media. Was it just a waste of ink for them to even put this in the bill and make it optional. government would never do something because they feel our pain. everything has to do with money and politics. Feels insulting and another slap in the face. they literally think we are morons. let's throw good things in out there even if it's not enforceable. What a joke.
NY Has now rolled out this program. You can find the application on your online account in the "Online Forms" section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment