Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 09:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,277 times

Advertisements

My existential question of the day is: Even though they have a way of tracking your IP (speaking of cell phones and computers), how is it possible that Unemployment will find you if you leave everything at your home in NY?.

Your IP? At home, your cell phone? home too, so, you traveled and you are in California and the day comes to claim your benefits, then from the same IP as always (since all your equipment is at home) someone does it for you. And there my question, how could they know that it is you and not someone else? Do they monitor your home? Turn on your camera?

Someone investigates you? An alert pops up when you use your ID to travel? Or your passport? I'm not talking about outside the country, I'm talking about a domestic flight.

And even tho it was not a domestic flight, if you go outside the country let's say.. on foot, corssing the border, how would they even know you left?, do CBP officers investigate you?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 12:18 AM

527 posts, read 388,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomD View Post
My existential question of the day is: Even though they have a way of tracking your IP (speaking of cell phones and computers), how is it possible that Unemployment will find you if you leave everything at your home in NY?.

Your IP? At home, your cell phone? home too, so, you traveled and you are in California and the day comes to claim your benefits, then from the same IP as always (since all your equipment is at home) someone does it for you. And there my question, how could they know that it is you and not someone else? Do they monitor your home? Turn on your camera?

Someone investigates you? An alert pops up when you use your ID to travel? Or your passport? I'm not talking about outside the country, I'm talking about a domestic flight.

And even tho it was not a domestic flight, if you go outside the country let's say.. on foot, corssing the border, how would they even know you left?, do CBP officers investigate you?.
You have clearly stated the rules.

You are free to do whatever you want to do, and if there are repercussions you face them.

Old 03-19-2021, 01:32 AM

13,148 posts, read 21,136,253 times
First, there is no rule that says you can not travel in the USA while collecting unemployment so long as you are able and available to seek and accept suitable employment if available. So traveling in the USA is not prohibited. Should you travel in the USA and unemployment finds out, they may determine you as unable and/or unavailable during that period and benefits during that period would be denied. You'll get an overpayment and maybe some penalties but if you can show it did not render you unable or unavailable, benefits will be retuned and the overpayment and penalty wiped away. If you are unsuccessful in showing your travel did not make you unable and/or unavailable to seek or accept suitable employment (note it's available/able to seek or accept if it would become available not that it had to be available) you'll just owe back for the period you were denied and any penalty for falsifying your certification. This would only apply specifically for the period of travel, not anytime before or after the travel.

As for out of country. Many people have done very creative and used technically advance way to certify without raising red flags in the system, but based on the DMs and emails I get seeking help, some states must have a away of knowing as people are getting caught. One was accused of foreign travel even though their only connection was a previously booked international flight that they cancelled due to covid. Another person went to Mexico to pickup some lower cost prescriptions (all of maybe 4 hours) yet was snagged for foreign travel. So somehow, states are able to start finding this out. I currently know of 4 states that were part of the pre covid pilot program that enables states to find out if a recipient of State benefits had traveled outside the country. The issue I have is that some folks getting caught or accused are collecting from states that were not part of the pilot program. So States may now have access to certain travel or passport use information. It also could be since federal moneys is involved with pandemic benefits, the feds may be snitching to the states. Regardless, out of country cases are very difficult to win and the penalties are harsh that many won't risk an Overpayments, large Fines, sledgehammer Penalties, long term forfeitures and a fraud warning now on your name just for a week or partial week of benefits.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:14 PM

8 posts, read 11,303 times
Quote:

Simply using a VPN makes this all null and void, and is something everyone should probably be using anyway for privacy as well as other various geo-blocking circumvention. Costs like $5-$10 a month max and is so easy a child can use it.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:00 PM

61 posts, read 32,621 times
Quote:

According to the NY Claimant handbook, you are allowed to claim from the 50 US States, Canada, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Island.

Moreover, not all NY UI claimants reside in NY. Some reside in other states and are able to claim from where they live. Furthermore, a claimant may have to move to a different state while they are still collecting UI from the state they worked in.

The key question is were you ready, willing and able to work? are you meeting the work search requirements?

Whatever you do, do not attempt to log in or claim from outside of the country or the territories named above.... and do not use a VPN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment