Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 09:20 PM

23 posts, read 14,150 times

Advertisements

right… but i meant if i dont file a determination appeal, or if i lose that appeal…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2023, 07:38 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If you don't file an appeal, they will wan their money back. The only successful appeal of an overpayment when it's a unfavorable initial determination occurs when the State made a mistake or if any of the old pandemic benefits allowed for a waive of overpayment.

If your appeal this determination and it goes against you, you can now appeal the overpayment. Although it's still an uphill climb, you'll have more sympathetic ears at that stage.

Quick note, you are dealing with CALIFORNIA, the #1 state for favorable claimant appeals.

Old 02-22-2023, 08:23 AM

thanks. sending determination appeal off this week. will keep you posted!

Old 02-22-2023, 09:51 AM

Once again, the appeal is only a simple two sentence statement:
"The Determination dated XX/XX/XXXX is wrong.
I want an Appeal Hearing schedule."
That's your entire appeal statement. (of course you include the claimant and notice info)

Old 02-22-2023, 03:58 PM

Will do! FYI I called EDD again today and asked about my claim/repayment possibility…

The operator once again stated the case notes list my claim as “non-fraud” and I would not have to repay, and would not be receiving a Notice of Potential Overpayment in the future.

I asked if I would have to submit an Overpayment Waiver.. he replied no, because in cases like mine, there is an “in-house” process involved where they automatically waive large $$ pandemic claims, citing the US DOL guidance ”repayment would be contrary to equity and good conscience.”

I am still going to appeal my determination… but this is the second operator that has told me this… any idea why???

Old 02-22-2023, 06:15 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrapper View Post
Will do! FYI I called EDD again today and asked about my claim/repayment possibility…

The operator once again stated the case notes list my claim as “non-fraud” and I would not have to repay, and would not be receiving a Notice of Potential Overpayment in the future.

I asked if I would have to submit an Overpayment Waiver.. he replied no, because in cases like mine, there is an “in-house” process involved where they automatically waive large $$ pandemic claims, citing the US DOL guidance ”repayment would be contrary to equity and good conscience.”

I am still going to appeal my determination… but this is the second operator that has told me this… any idea why???
Did you record the call?

Old 02-22-2023, 07:03 PM

Ahhh, you have a claim that EDD has applied a pandemic waiver reasoning. True be told, those claims have long expired and most pandemic waivers have sunset. But, this is the "state error" I mentioned as a reason to get a waiver appeal should they later come back after the money.

Do the appeal of the determination if for no other reason than to take a chance your former employer may lose.

Old 02-22-2023, 09:50 PM

Did you record the call?

In California, all parties to any confidential conversation must give their consent to be recorded.

No, I did not, I guess I can call back and have an operator give me the same info, and before we speak I ask if they consent to be recorded.. that would be weird lol but I'll give it a shot...

Would this really even help me in the future though if they come after the $?

Do the appeal of the determination if for no other reason than to take a chance your former employer may lose.

Yea, I'll still appeal, if i lose the appeal it wouldn't really effect me if I have an "in-house" waiver, I guess, right? FYI my claim balance on my online dashboard is $0, and not an negative balance.

I did come across this: https://edd.ca.gov/siteassets/files/...news-22-07.pdf

And: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/adv...20-21-change-1

On the top of the page for the second link it says "Expiration Date: Continuing"

Thanks for everything guys, YOU ROCK.. Rabrrita you ever want lunch, I'll totally UberEats you some! Least I can do! =)

Last edited by madrapper; 02-22-2023 at 10:00 PM..

Old 02-23-2023, 06:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrapper View Post
Did you record the call?

In California, all parties to any confidential conversation must give their consent to be recorded.

No, I did not, I guess I can call back and have an operator give me the same info, and before we speak I ask if they consent to be recorded.. that would be weird lol but I'll give it a shot...
Better weird than flustered when the written documentation says otherwise and nobody cares what you say you were told over the phone. Or ask them if they can send you anything in writing as to what they are telling you. There must be some memorandum or policy or law or something they are getting it from.

Old 02-23-2023, 06:52 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Ahhh, you have a claim that EDD has applied a pandemic waiver reasoning. True be told, those claims have long expired and most pandemic waivers have sunset. But, this is the "state error" I mentioned as a reason to get a waiver appeal should they later come back after the money.

Reps for helping all the people you help in this section. I'm glad this OP keeps coming back verses logging in but never commenting again, so you're clueless if advice helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment