Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 07:58 AM

23 posts, read 14,150 times

Advertisements

oceangaia: There must be some memorandum or policy or law or something they are getting it from. the written documentation says otherwise and nobody cares what you say you were told over the phone.

I agree with you on that. EDD Rep explained in cases like mine, there is an “in-house” process involved where they automatically waive large $$ pandemic claims, citing the US DOL guidance ”repayment would be contrary to equity and good conscience.”

I did come across this: https://edd.ca.gov/siteassets/files/...news-22-07.pdf

And: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/adv...20-21-change-1

On the top of the page for the second link it says "Expiration Date: Continuing"

The DOL did create a sample communication that states MAY use when approving the waiver of recovery for an overpayment. I guess CA has not yet produced or sent out these letters yet for the in-house blanket waivers?

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/fil...chment_III.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2023, 08:00 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrapper View Post
oceangaia: There must be some memorandum or policy or law or something they are getting it from.

EDD Rep explained in cases like mine, there is an “in-house” process involved where they automatically waive large $$ pandemic claims, citing the US DOL guidance ”repayment would be contrary to equity and good conscience.”

I did come across this: https://edd.ca.gov/siteassets/files/...news-22-07.pdf

And: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/eta/adv...20-21-change-1
Both links take me to Page Not Found but something from DOL to backup that claim of DOL guidance is what I'm talking about.

Old 02-23-2023, 11:39 AM

the links work. under the DOL guidance, i qualify for a Blanket Waiver:

https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/fil...1_Change_1.pdf

Group 3: Scenario(s) applicable to the PUA and FPUC (where applicable) programs.

4. The individual answered “no” to being unemployed, partially unemployed, or unable or unavailable to work because of the approved COVID-19 related reasons and the state paid PUA anyway. Upon requesting a new self-certification, the individual either did not respond or confirmed that none of the approved COVID- 19 related reasons were applicable, and the state’s payment resulted in an overpayment for that week. See Attachment I to UIPL No. 16-20, Change 6, for a full list of the approved COVID-19 related reasons.

The individual is without fault: In this scenario, the individual was without fault for the overpayment as they provided accurate information on their initial application which the state did not consider prior to paying the individual which created the overpayment. In addition, once information was requested and the individual failed to respond or confirmed the information, the state continued to pay benefits. Overpayments under these circumstances occurred because a unique confluence of circumstances (i.e., an avalanche of unemployment claims precipitated by a pandemic, implementation of multiple new programs, and public and political pressure to implement new programs rapidly) hindered the states’ ability to process claims timely and to the extent they would have under normal circumstances.

Repayment would be contrary to equity and good conscience: Repayment is contrary to equity and good conscience when it would be extremely unfair to require repayment. It would be extremely unfair to require repayment when the individual was not at fault for receiving the overpayment and the state would be requiring repayment of benefits that were designed to support individuals during the pandemic, which created financial uncertainty for much of the country at that time. Individuals generally relied on these payments for their livelihoods and made purchases and entered into financial commitments based on these payments. Requiring repayment now would undermine many individuals’ financial stability and undermine the purposes for which the benefits were paid.

Old 02-24-2023, 05:55 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Madrapper, my apologies, I forgot your claim was on pandemic benefits so EDD is correct, they wont be coming after you for the money. Since you wont have to worry about repayment, you can cancel the appeal now, or you can (just to make your former employer do extra work) withdraw it the week before the hearing.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:02 AM

if i appeal, then withdraw before the hearing (for whatever reason - i simply changed my mind after speaking with council, for example) can my former employer sue me for the extra work they did preparing for it? or would that not fly as it is my legal right to withdraw an appeal…?

my former employers are really nasty people….

Old 02-24-2023, 06:07 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
They would be laughed out of their attorney's office if they ever brought that scenario.

If you just want to extract your pound of flesh, continue with the appeal and make them go through the whole hearing process. Since EDD's ALJ's are very focused on the procedural process, they often rule in favor of the claimant for no other reason than the employer didn't meet the statutory burden of proof.

Old 02-24-2023, 06:09 AM

good morning and thanks for all your advice in this matter!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment