Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2023, 03:41 PM

121 posts, read 82,444 times

Advertisements

Hello, question????

Was terminated from FT on end of 7-23, appealed and received letter that UE claim is approved (never did the ID verification). I never used the claimed b/c I was doing Uber which pays more than the weekly benefits.

Unfortunately, my car has died and I don't have the money to fix it.
Would I be able to start the UE claim I never used? And do I have to explain to UE why I never claimed?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 08:06 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If you have an approved claim, you'll need to reopen that claim and collect off of it until the benefit year ends or the approved monetary amounts runs out, whichever comes first. Now, you may be denied as UBER will likely claim that you quit because you can not meet the requirements (no vehicle) of the job.

Old 12-03-2023, 02:57 PM

So I will have to tell the UE office I was driving for Uber when I re-open the claim. And even thought I cant afford a new car or to repair the car, it will be considered quitting. WoW..... I cant catch a break

Old 12-03-2023, 04:44 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
If you are in NJ as your profile indicates, Yes, you will have to tell Unemployment about the UBER work. NJ's settlement with UBER requires they report who worked for them on a ongoing basis. You are not require to tell Unemployment your car broke down. You can simple say the cost of working (gas, maintenance, extra insurance, etc.) made it impossible to earn a living based on the pittance income from driving and thus you are also unable to keeps the vehicle is a safe operating condition. From there, you let UBER tell their story if they tell a story at all.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:22 PM

Thanks, much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment