Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 01:58 PM

6 posts, read 20,270 times

Advertisements

My year is up I called to reinstate my claim and was told they did'nt use one quarter from 10/01-12/31/08 to determine my claim. I worked about 15 weeks part-time and made about $3000. I was told with this last quarter and the 15 weeks I have to open a new claim. Those this sound right or did they mess up. Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 20,270 times
Also i just read and found out that a person has to work 20 weeks or make $7000, I did'nt do either. I worked a part-time job

Old 02-11-2010, 10:32 AM

275 posts, read 430,482 times
I have the same problem, I filed last week and it said I cannot claim on the internet. I filed via the phone and it only processed my claim for one week and said I hit the one year mark and I must open a new claim. So I tried calling and could not get through on the lines for several days. Finally my check shows up and it says I can file next week which was today. I file today and it says I have to file via phone and I got the message that my claim will not payed but I can receive a credit for the weeks claimed.

So when/if I get through on the phone line do I open a new claim or try and reinstate it? I worked full time for 13 years when I got unemployed, the company I worked for went of business.

Also what menu option do I pick on the auto attendant for this issue?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
I have the same problem, I filed last week and it said I cannot claim on the internet. I filed via the phone and it only processed my claim for one week and said I hit the one year mark and I must open a new claim. So I tried calling and could not get through on the lines for several days. Finally my check shows up and it says I can file next week which was today. I file today and it says I have to file via phone and I got the message that my claim will not payed but I can receive a credit for the weeks claimed.

So when/if I get through on the phone line do I open a new claim or try and reinstate it? I worked full time for 13 years when I got unemployed, the company I worked for went of business.

Also what menu option do I pick on the auto attendant for this issue?

See Diorgirl's post #4 above.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:41 AM

1 posts, read 4,836 times
Hello all,

Hopes this information helps somebody. I too recieved the recording that my claim was not payable at this time and I would be credited. I called unemployment, I don't know why people say they have such a hard time getting through, I always get thru within 15 minutes I call as soon as they open I start dialing at 6:58 and keep dialing till I get thru when they open at 7am. Which puts me virtually somwhere near the front of the calls. I notice any calls made pass 8am there is more of a chance of not getting thru the rest of the day. So make your coffee and get up early to call. Anyway, Ms. Taylor who was very pleasant stated that I should have called on my one year anniversary for recertification. This is when they look at your records to makes sure that you have not recieved wages from a job wether part or fulltime. If not they continue you with your extended benefits. I was lucky enough to reach this woman at a local office, she so happened to be a supervisor that was able to acces and authorize reissuing of my payment. If it wasn't her I would have had to call back after 8 to go thru the whole process of recertification. So luck was on my side with this one. There is no notice sent out telling people to recertify you must remember this on your own from your hand book that you initially received a year ago and you can cause yourself severe delay in receiving your checks if your hesitate to call. Another thing is that before she assited me I asked her if I could do this claim online and she said no because at times it does cause a delays of a matter of weeks than just waiting to speak to customer service to get it handled immediatly. So my advice to all is call very early in the morning and be pleasant it is not that person's fault that the system is overwhelmed. I found being very nice caused this person to help me even more in getting my problem fixed, she easily could have told me to call back a certain number as she was initially telling me when I first spoke to her. This is not just a fluke, any and all interaction I have had with unemployment this pass year has been good but that is just my experience and I wish all of you well who seem to be having difficulty.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,662 times
Default BYE Date - The Unemployment Anniversary/Birthday

Benefit Year Ending Date - State Benefit Year Ending Procedure
If you are on a Federal EUC extension on your BYE date, you must take action for your payments to continue without interruption.

A benefit year is in effect for one year from the date of claim. If benefits are not exhausted by the BYE date, credit is issued but payments are held until you speak to an agent. No notice is sent from the State. It is best to do this soon after the BYE date, so the pending payments are released to you.

If you had no earnings since your benefit year began, you would be ineligible for a new State claim, thereby eligible to continue with your current Federal EUC Tier. Your claim is then 're-opened' but it is not a NEW claim. It is simply a "continuation of benefits".

You will be asked if you have worked in those twelve months (they would already know this from your bi-weekly certifications, but they still ask) and if you have, they will look at the income and the amount of weeks worked to determine IF you qualify for a NEW claim based on the most recent termination. If you do qualify for a NEW claim, it MAY be a different amount (more or less) because it is based on a different termination and different wages. At that point it's either a new State claim or the continuation of your current Tier. The DOL makes that decision for you.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

38 posts, read 156,841 times
I'm a bit confused. I had to re certify yesterday (my BYE date was 5/31) The rep opened a new claim, but I am on hold and in the "que" to speak to someone else hopefully. Is it now to late or can they reopen my old claim and cancel the new one?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:35 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,966 times
You have no choice in the matter - - you must call in at the end of your benefit year & you must report any earnings over the past year - They will stop any payments until you do so.

If you had no earnings in the past year, you will continue on your old claim

If you had earnings and they are enough to qualify for a new claim, even if the benefit is less than what you were getting on the old one, they will put you on a new claim.

Choice is not yours but theirs - - - ! As my son says- it is what it is.

Old 10-16-2010, 03:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,399 times
My BYE date just came up. I talked to someone and they said i had to start a new claim, so i did so online. I then called unemployment, the lady said i did not qualify for a new claim, but i will get the remaining balance on my extension. i then go online today, and my account is at 0, with a letter in the mail stating that i did not qualify for a NEW claim. i dont get it. i had a remaining balance of nearly $2400 and now it is at 0. did i screw up by making a new claim? i did not work one single day for the entire duration of me recieving benefits. i have a family and im straight scared because we rely on that money. please help!!!

Old 10-16-2010, 03:40 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
This is normal procedure at the end of a claim year. As long as EUC is in effect, the states are required to attempt to qualify you for a new claim when your first claim year ends. If your earnings are insufficient for a new claim, your application is "denied," your old claim reopened and you continue on the tier extensions. The lady at unemployment gave you correct information. You should get another letter informing you of this.

There should not be much of a delay in your benefits, if any, because of this. It depends on the state. In Wisconsin, there was no gap whatsoever for me. I have read others have had a delay of several weeks.

Keep claiming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment