Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:48 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJUnemployed13 View Post
I've been collecting UE for about 55 weeks since Nov of 09. I'm currently collecting Tier 2 EB. I went to claim my benefits like normal the other day and it stated that I may not be eligible. I received a non negotiable check in the mail today stating that previous weeks are pending.

Does anyone have an idea why this happened?? What should I do?

Thanks
You reached your one-year anniversary on unemployment -- and everyone needs to re-certify on their one-year anniversary. Until you re-certify, the system freezes your account. The system will continue to accept your bi-weekly claim, but no payment will be released.

• The NJ system will not accept re-certification on line. You must speak directly with an agent to re-certify.

• The process is simple: You contact an agent. Explain that it is your one-year anniversary and that you need to re-certify. While you are on the phone, the agent will check to see if you qualify for a new claim. (If you worked during the past year, you may have enough credits for a new claim.)

• If you do not qualify for a new claim, your current claim is immediately reopened. The agent then arranges for your payments to continue where they left off. If you are owed any back weeks (for which you filed while your account was frozen), you will be paid retroactively.

Remember -- you need to talk with an agent ASAP. You'll get no payments until an agent re-certifies you and manually reopens your account.

BTW, Tier 2 is part of the EUC Tier program -- it is not EB. The NJ unemployment website has a description of the various levels of unemployment benefits: Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions

Last edited by diorgirl; 12-11-2010 at 11:56 PM.. Reason: Added link to NJ UI website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
You reached your one-year anniversary on unemployment -- and everyone needs to re-certify on their one-year anniversary. Until you re-certify, the system freezes your account. The system will continue to accept your bi-weekly claim, but no payment will be released.

• The NJ system will not accept re-certification on line. You must speak directly with an agent to re-certify.

• The process is simple: You contact an agent. Explain that it is your one-year anniversary and that you need to re-certify. While you are on the phone, the agent will check to see if you qualify for a new claim. (If you worked during the past year, you may have enough credits for a new claim.)

• If you do not qualify for a new claim, your current claim is immediately reopened. The agent then arranges for your payments to continue where they left off. If you are owed any back weeks (for which you filed while your account was frozen), you will be paid retroactively.

Remember -- you need to talk with an agent ASAP. You'll get no payments until an agent re-certifies you and manually reopens your account.

BTW, Tier 2 is part of the EUC Tier program -- it is not EB. The NJ unemployment website has a description of the various levels of unemployment benefits: Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Unemployment Benefit Extensions
Thank you! This was very helpful.. I've been trying to get a hold of an agent for 3 days now but every time I call it states that 'due to the high volume of calls they cant take my call'. I try calling at different times all day. Hopefully I will get through to someone today!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:20 AM

3,814 posts, read 11,973,911 times
Quote:
Thank you! This was very helpful.. I've been trying to get a hold of an agent for 3 days now but every time I call it states that 'due to the high volume of calls they cant take my call'. I try calling at different times all day. Hopefully I will get through to someone today!
If you go to your local UI office and use the phone bank there, the wait is much shorter and your call will be answered much more quickly. Most of the centers do not have people who can handle the re-certification in person, but their phone lines to the central group have shorter wait times.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:02 AM

38 posts, read 183,915 times
Quote:
I've been collecting UE for about 55 weeks since Nov of 09. I'm currently collecting Tier 2 EB. I went to claim my benefits like normal the other day and it stated that I may not be eligible. I received a non negotiable check in the mail today stating that previous weeks are pending.

Does anyone have an idea why this happened?? What should I do?

Thanks
I found that calling later in the day was much quicker than any time before lunch. If you cannot go to the unemployment office, as DiorGirl suggested, have a speakerphone available, so that you can set it down while you wait. I spent a total of 45 minutes on the phone when I went through this process last week, only 5 of which were with an actual human, LOL!

Last edited by vllygrrl; 12-15-2010 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: question had already been answered

Old 12-15-2010, 02:29 PM

3 posts, read 17,348 times
Hello, my Extended Benefits in NJ is going to be exhausted by the end of 2010. I have heard today that the unemployment extension is now in Congress for final approval. If there is an extension approved, will I be eligible for the extension as well even though Extended Benfits seems to be the last tier for NJ.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:34 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs139 View Post
Hello, my Extended Benefits in NJ is going to be exhausted by the end of 2010. I have heard today that the unemployment extension is now in Congress for final approval. If there is an extension approved, will I be eligible for the extension as well even though Extended Benfits seems to be the last tier for NJ.
No. If you have exhausted all 99 weeks, including 20 weeks of NJ EB, there are no further benefits provided in this legislation.

Old 12-15-2010, 03:30 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,528 times
Default Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation Tiers vs. State Extended Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabs139 View Post
So that others reading this thread are not even more confused:
The Unemployment extension is solely to extend the dates you can get into the Tier system. It does not ADD any more weeks of benefits.
Extended Benefits are not a "Tier" and exhausting the Tiers are a prerequisite to receiving Extended Benefits.

Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC08)
is the 53 weeks comprised of Tiers I, II, III, and IV.

Extended Benefits (in certain States)
is the 20 weeks of benefits comprised of Regular EB of 13 weeks plus High EB of 7 weeks, after EUC08 is exhausted.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:14 PM

208 posts, read 552,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
So that others reading this thread are not even more confused:
The Unemployment extension is solely to extend the dates you can get into the Tier system. It does not ADD any more weeks of benefits.
Extended Benefits are not a "Tier" and exhausting the Tiers are a prerequisite to receiving Extended Benefits.

Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC08)
is the 53 weeks comprised of Tiers I, II, III, and IV.

Extended Benefits (in certain States)
is the 20 weeks of benefits comprised of Regular EB of 13 weeks plus High EB of 7 weeks, after EUC08 is exhausted.
There are way too many 99ers thoroughly confused about pending extensions...there is NO TIER 5 and NO EXTENSION beyond 99 weeks...The only thing worse than a hopeless 99er is a hopeful one

Old 12-15-2010, 10:50 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,528 times
Default Confucius say: Broke Optimist happier than Broke Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodywantsme View Post
There are way too many 99ers thoroughly confused about pending extensions...there is NO TIER 5 and NO EXTENSION beyond 99 weeks...The only thing worse than a hopeless 99er is a hopeful one
Yes, 99ers and even 26ers are confused and they pose their questions here and some of us try to answer them as best as we can. Many of us here have been telling the 99ers that there is NO TIER 5 and NO EXTENSION beyond 99 weeks and you already know that. Got it. Being a 99er isn't a choice but being hopeful or hopeless is. Hope is the only thing a 99er can afford, why knock it?

Don't hate me because I'm a 99er.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 PM

208 posts, read 552,204 times
I don't hate you or anyone else...I'll be a 99er very shortly...I just want to tell "Charlie Brown" that he shouldn't kick the football when "Lucy" is holding it...He'll be disappointed everytime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment