Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 09:27 AM

1 posts, read 7,289 times

Advertisements

Question i had a claim in PA i work part-time so i get partial payments i called for extension the told me i had to claim in NJ now because i have wages in NJ they also said they've over paid me NJ has approved my claim but it's a hold on my account because PA says they over paid me it's been 3 months and PA has still not sent the amount I've called 100'xs and they told me they're work load is heavy NJ has sent 2 letters and 3 emails i'm facing a hardship what else can i do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 12:41 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackgirl127 View Post
Question i had a claim in PA i work part-time so i get partial payments i called for extension the told me i had to claim in NJ now because i have wages in NJ they also said they've over paid me NJ has approved my claim but it's a hold on my account because PA says they over paid me it's been 3 months and PA has still not sent the amount I've called 100'xs and they told me they're work load is heavy NJ has sent 2 letters and 3 emails i'm facing a hardship what else can i do ?
You have to explain why PA owes NJ money. Your part-time work would have no effect on your State of PA unemployment benefits. Your part-time work does affect who pays federal EUC benefits. If PA began paying you federal monies, you owe PA for these overpayments. PA does not owe NJ.

Neither you nor NJ will be getting any money from PA. NJ hasn't paid you because it is probably trying to figure out how to use its state monies to pay PA for your federal extension overpayments. You wouldn't be in overpayment status if PA had not paid you some federal EUC monies.

Point of information - interstate claims with EUC overpayments cause huge problems and long delays. Aside from all the normal reasons not to work part-time while collecting state benefits, you especially do not want to begin a claim in one state and work part-time in another until you've begun EUC on that first claim.

Your part-time earnings have created new NJ state claim eligibility which immediately eradicates any EUC payable under the PA claim. So, all federal benefits due under your PA claim are gone forever.

So, the question is - did you get any federal extension monies on the PA claim?

If you have not, you don't owe PA anything and there shouldn't be a problem with a new state claim in NJ based on your NJ earnings.

In that event, contact your State of NJ representative so that NJ begins paying you state benefits.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 21,093 times
I was over paid from unemployment --They file a judgement ----I work in Nevada ----When I get my pay check, its like $20.00 after everthing is taken out. I work for tips(cash) which I get every nite after work -----If they garnish my wages-- what will happen?----Could I lose my job? Thank you----Tony

Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammysams View Post
I was over paid from unemployment --They file a judgement ----I work in Nevada ----When I get my pay check, its like $20.00 after everthing is taken out. I work for tips(cash) which I get every nite after work -----If they garnish my wages-- what will happen?----Could I lose my job? Thank you----Tony
You will or won't lose your job, depending on how your employer views garnishments. Not sure what the Nevada law is, but rule of thumb federally is they can't garnish more than 25% of your net paycheck - which in your case is $5.

Quote:
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Title III "also protects employees by limiting the amount of earnings that may be garnished in any workweek or pay period to the lesser of 25 percent of disposable earnings or the amount by which disposable earnings are greater than 30 times the federal minimum hourly wage prescribed by Section 6(a)(1) of the Fair Labor Standards Act of 1938.

This limit applies regardless of how many garnishment orders an employer receives."

How wage garnishment works -- and how to avoid it

Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,095 times
Ugh, I'm kind of in a similar boat as some. I was hired by a new company for a commission sales job on 4/2/2013 and we did 2 days of VERY informal training (no clocking in/out, shirt and bluejeans) which nobody even knew for sure how much (or if we were at all) getting paid. But I didn't officially start on the sales floor until 4/22/2013. So I continued to make claims until I physically started. Which the first 2 weeks no sales were made. So I had no clue how much to even report in my unemployment earnings.

Then TWC sent me a letter requesting more info, the woman was pretty nasty. Asking why I didn't report the 2 days of training, and why i didn't report the 4/2-4/22. Even after explaining to her that the stores weren't even open yet she was still pretty mean, saying I would have to repay the wages, and that it was falsifying info, etc. So she said I would be recieving a letter in 5-7 days telling me how much I have to repay.

Reporting hours/pay is easy when its an hourly or salary job, but when you work a commission based job it's not quite that simple. Now I'm a little nervous because I've read several places that say they can bring criminal charges again you. What are the odds of that happening?

Old 05-13-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAM5 View Post
Ugh, I'm kind of in a similar boat as some. I was hired by a new company for a commission sales job on 4/2/2013 and we did 2 days of VERY informal training (no clocking in/out, shirt and bluejeans) which nobody even knew for sure how much (or if we were at all) getting paid. But I didn't officially start on the sales floor until 4/22/2013. So I continued to make claims until I physically started. Which the first 2 weeks no sales were made. So I had no clue how much to even report in my unemployment earnings.

Then TWC sent me a letter requesting more info, the woman was pretty nasty. Asking why I didn't report the 2 days of training, and why i didn't report the 4/2-4/22. Even after explaining to her that the stores weren't even open yet she was still pretty mean, saying I would have to repay the wages, and that it was falsifying info, etc. So she said I would be recieving a letter in 5-7 days telling me how much I have to repay.

Reporting hours/pay is easy when its an hourly or salary job, but when you work a commission based job it's not quite that simple. Now I'm a little nervous because I've read several places that say they can bring criminal charges again you. What are the odds of that happening?
You should have reported you worked those two days and had no earnings. TWC could have applied its partial benefit formula.

Once you start full-time work - even if you have no earnings because it is commission sales - you stop claiming.

Texas won't prosecute you. This is a very small mistake. If you evidence a repeated pattern of claiming while earning money and not reporting those earnings - which people do, thinking they won't get caught - then you might be subject to prosecution. We don't have any reports of anyone being prosecuted for unemployment fraud on CD. Maybe they're all in jail.

Don't worry about it.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 6,359 times
Angry Help please

I am so frustrated with the PA Unemployment system. When I first applied for benefits I was approved and they began paying me. The company I previously worked for lied and my benefits were denied. I then appealed the judgment and won my case. I've been collecting benefits now and I just filed for my first extension. Unemployment shows an overpayment from back before the appeal hearing so they stopped paying me. I called them and told them there's no overpayment because I won the appeal and I've been collecting all this time. They said its an error on their part that the main office never received the judgment from my case. It has now been a month and every time I call they tell me that they are working on it. I've even talked to supervisors. How long will it take to pay my money back? It didn't take them this long to take my money.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxers1 View Post
called them and told them there's no overpayment because I won the appeal and I've been collecting all this time. They said its an error on their part that the main office never received the judgment from my case. It has now been a month and every time I call they tell me that they are working on it. I've even talked to supervisors. How long will it take to pay my money back? It didn't take them this long to take my money.
The only way to get PA off the mark is for you to email and call your State of PA elected representatives. People in every state, we have many reports from PA, get problem resolution in under a week.

Google PA state representatives. EMAIL and call. You will get results.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM

13 posts, read 30,480 times
I would suggest calling their overpayment division , explaining your situation and seeing if there is a payment plan you can make or if they will allow a hardship waiver which means they write off the overpayment or reduce it. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houshunt View Post
I would suggest calling their overpayment division , explaining your situation and seeing if there is a payment plan you can make
He does not owe them any money and does not need a payment plan, per this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxers1 View Post
I called them and told them there's no overpayment because I won the appeal and I've been collecting all this time. They said its an error on their part that the main office never received the judgment from my case. It has now been a month and every time I call they tell me that they are working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment