Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 04:05 PM

107 posts, read 160,105 times

Advertisements

i'm hoping they make a bill for just extending unemployment benefits but of course that won't happen. most of the republicans that voted against this bill have long terms in the senate..it's why they don't care..they'll probably think voters will forget by the time they need to be re elected. i will say this, i will never vote for a republican again. you can say what you want, but they don't give a **** about the poor or struggling unless it affects them..obama better say or do something..he has the power to

Old 06-24-2010, 04:06 PM

42 posts, read 71,287 times
not wanting to sound negative, but is there still hope for us anytime soon? someone say yes and mean it lol

Old 06-24-2010, 04:08 PM

107 posts, read 160,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianpride629 View Post
not wanting to sound negative, but is there still hope for us anytime soon? someone say yes and mean it lol

the bill is dead. they basically have to make another bill that has to then be passed by the senate, house, and then debated on..this bill that died went through all that and it didn't pass debate (Differences Resolved)....it could be a very long time..i honestly think it's over..with this bill dead, i'm hoping that i can at least get emergency benefits now in nj

Old 06-24-2010, 04:13 PM

162 posts, read 313,342 times
the bill isnt dead technicaly. It's till open for debate. It remains to be seen if Reid does what he says and sidesteps the bill completely. It's the tax provisions that are killing the bill. GOPers are recommending that they actually seperate the unemployment provisions to stop them from being held up.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM

377 posts, read 590,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianpride629 View Post
All political. Democrats forced republicans (at least in their eyes) to vote against unemployment benefits. Now they, and the media, can say how evil the republicans are. So, mission accomplished. Start the ads saying how Snowe wants children of the unemployed to starve. The news stories are already saying as much. This is good PR for the democrats.

But I don't think UE is dead. There will be a compromise, now democrats cans say they care about UE so much that they were willing to whatever it takes to make the republicans stop hurting the unemployed.

Either a revised bill, or the UE will be attached to another bill as a standalone, which is what everyone wants.

This vote was 3 short. That means there is a lot of support for passing unemployment benefits ASAP. You don't just abandon something like this when you are 3 votes away. The only difference between today, and all the other times they've voted, is Harry Reid's threat that he's going to put the matter to bed. I believe that was a bluff to see if he could possibly scare those other 3 senators to sign on. His bluff didn't work, something else will probably be introduced.

As was mentioned earlier, no one (dem or rep) wants to head into Patriotic July 4 weekend having not agreed to pass unemployment benefits.... especially in an election year. Benefits have never been denied in the past, no reason to think that this is different than any other time.

That's my take, get freaked out and scared if you want, but there is ZERO benefit, to either side, of not passing these extensions. It's all bad, for both of them.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:17 PM

600 posts, read 1,075,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post
the bill isnt dead technicaly. It's till open for debate. It remains to be seen if Reid does what he says and sidesteps the bill completely. It's the tax provisions that are killing the bill. GOPers are recommending that they actually seperate the unemployment provisions to stop them from being held up.
That's what they're going to have to do if they want anything pushed through.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM

18 posts, read 27,127 times
Ed Schulz going to address subject shortly.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:20 PM

194 posts, read 314,652 times
The only way this is not dead is if reid bends, we could have had at least a 30 extention to get us through for a while so what conclusion do you come to, actually the rep have offered some relief for us even if it"s short term. But noooooooo so i can't say it's all the rep fault.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:27 PM

377 posts, read 590,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlukas79 View Post
Right, the vote was just to limit the debate. If they limit the debate then I think they could just pass it with a majority (If I'm not mistaken), which this bill has.

The next logical step is a separate benefits bill. Reid got his political victory. Horrible press for the republicans. Now is the time for both parties to show they care about the American People, that's the next act of this play.

Remember, even if Republicans finally do sign on to the extensions, the damage is already done to their image which can't be "undone". Perfect fuel heading into November for the democrats. And for the republicans, they can say they fought to reduce the deficit, which is a large concern nationally. Even if they vote for the extensions, they get the PR out there that they are super serious about the deficit.

What democrats don't want, however, heading into November, is for people to think that with 3 votes shy of breaking the fillibuster, they weren't able to compromise a bit more. That makes them look bad. And what republicans don't want is to be looked at as the people who wouldn't compromise, either.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:40 PM

69 posts, read 170,597 times
I appreciate all the information presented on this site. I am just confused about EB in New Jersey.

If you have exhausted tier III on June 26th, do you automatically go to EB or is everything over? I thought that is what would happen but now I am not sure. Please clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment