Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 AM

8,584 posts, read 11,010,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
First you do not know me, so you do not know what my background is. In fact if you even bothered to read the thread you will find I have engaged in this subject more than you think.

Second I am not just ridiculing it. I am showing exactly why it is unsubstantiated and baseless and I am explaining the aspects of the human condition which can lead you to thinking it is true even when it is not.

So to pretend I am just ridiculing it is to stick your fingers in your ears, go "la la la la la" and ignore everything I am actually saying on the subject.
What it boils down to is, everyone has different opinions.
This is natural in the human realm.
What I know to be true, isn't necessarily true in your eyes.
People interpret things differently.
As stated in my post above, let's leave it up to those who would like to discover evp, and let them make up their own minds.
I have (I feel) crossed the barrier between this life, and the next, and if you don't believe that, that is your business.
You offered your opinion as to why it couldn't be possible, and I have offered my opinion as to why, and how I think it is possible.
Now it is up to those reading this thread to make up their own minds,and come to a conclusion they think is the right one for them.
Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:59 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,383,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
What it boils down to is, everyone has different opinions.
Exactly, and some of those opinions are baseless and some are not. The idea that there is some paranormal or supernatural aspect to the human ability to hear voices in white noise, or find faces in random patterns (as another example) is one of the baseless ones. These things are, to use your own words, "natural in the human realm".

So opinion is not the problem. Facts are, and you have none to support any of these claims. You are more than entitled to your own opinions. You are NOT entitled to your own facts.

Quote:
I have (I feel) crossed the barrier between this life, and the next, and if you don't believe that, that is your business.
And some people feel they have been abducted by aliens while others things they can fly or that they are Napoleon reincarnated. The issue is not whether I believe them or not. The issue is that they (and you) give absolutely no reason other than your own baseless opinion FOR believing it.

Quote:
I have offered my opinion as to why, and how I think it is possible.
Actually you have done no such thing. Aside from saying over and over that it is true, and making up an unverifiable anecdote that some people in your living room agreed with you... you have offered literally no arguments, evidence, data or reasons to suggest any of this is true. You just keep repeating that it is and no more. What little evidence you claim there is you make excuses for not actually presenting.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM

659 posts, read 1,147,064 times
Thank you bob for writing this all out and taking the time to answer me...I really appreciate it...if there was something medically wrong with me, I am sure in the last twenty years that would of came to view, as I take excellent care of my mind and body and have seen numerous doctors to keep me healthy
I am interested in this...but a little scared of it too. I was watched many shows on tv abut how people were being harassed by spirits...I mean with priests brought in, the whole nine yards...its funny cause I am agnostic but still am afraid of what might be there!
when I heard the voice, it kept calling me by name, telling me to come here...you know I often wonder if it was the spirit of death, wanting to take my soul...now that I think about it, maybe some spirit wanted to depart?

Old 12-14-2011, 05:23 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,447,915 times
I'm a hardcore Atheist and all - but I would absolutely love to have a paranormal experience.

Only thing I've ever experienced was a parasomnia when I was a young teenager, and it was completely frightening. Nothing further in all the years since, and I've sought them out - various "haunted" New Orleans locations, personal tour of the Sallie House, various local ghost group activities/local "haunted" houses...nothing.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Thank you bob for writing this all out and taking the time to answer me...I really appreciate it...if there was something medically wrong with me, I am sure in the last twenty years that would of came to view, as I take excellent care of my mind and body and have seen numerous doctors to keep me healthy
I am interested in this...but a little scared of it too. I was watched many shows on tv abut how people were being harassed by spirits...I mean with priests brought in, the whole nine yards...its funny cause I am agnostic but still am afraid of what might be there!
when I heard the voice, it kept calling me by name, telling me to come here...you know I often wonder if it was the spirit of death, wanting to take my soul...now that I think about it, maybe some spirit wanted to depart?

From the studies I have done on the spirit world,I find there are good, and bad spirits.
The bad are always trying to infiltrate the good, and sometimes they do win over a weak spirit.
One can see this in the way some people behave.
Ever notice that some seemingly normal person, for what seems no apparent reason, suddenly does something way out of character?
This is a prime example of a bad spirit trying to take over a good spirit.
Now, you speak of being fearful of what you don't quite understand.
This is human nature.
A normal reaction to things we are not familiar with.
You CAN get through this phobia though.
I remember my first experience with evp.
It was late at night, and after experimenting for four days, and getting no response, on the fifth night, I heard my first voice from beyond.
It was a woman asking for help.
She kept repeating the words,"help me", "please help me".
I wasn't fearful, but a cold chill did come over me, followed by jubilation that I had succeeded doing something I never thought possible.
From that point on, I couldn't wait to set up the next recording session.
I have had some experiences with what could only be called evil spirits.
They have not harmed me physically, but tried very hard to intimidate me.
I have had them swear profoundly at times.
I remember in one session, I asked for help from someone on that side in locating someone I knew had passed on.
After asking, I played the tape back , hoping for a response, and this voice spoke in a rough tone asking, "why the f... are you looking for help, leave me alone".
When I asked again, the response was the same voice, and this time more angry.
"Get the f... out of here".
At that point I stopped for the night, and took it up two nights later with a much better result.
When I again asked for help to find my friend, the answer was, "I'm Henry", "Henry","I will help you".
In questioning Henry, he said he had died due to cancer, and had live in North Carolina.
He never did help, nor did I ever hear from him again.
One thing I never got , was a direct answer in detail, when I asked what it is like there?
When ever I would get a response, the answer was always the same, never giving any detail.
The word was always "peaceful", regardless of what spirit gave the answer, as if some higher power were putting a limit on what they could say about their surroundings.
One thing I learned through my experiments above all, there was one quality they(not all, but most} were especially indicative of, and more than once it was expressed to me, that being "LOVE".
Love was perhaps the most important lesson they wanted to teach to all, and expressed that humans MUST learn to love one another in this life.
Spirits within us, guide us, and are the basis for what we are as humans.
Obviously, when we come across a human that has little to no love for anything, or any one, not even itself, you can be sure an evil spirit inhabits that body.
My advice for you would be, take one day at a time, , and when you come up against something that you don't understand, stop and think about the source of this "something", and decide how you want to deal with it.
Above all, don't be fearful just because you don't understand something.
Be prepared to confront any fears by solid positive thoughts, and actions.
You expressed that you would like to try recording but were apprehensive or fearful.
Perhaps if you had a friend, or family member join you in trial evp experimenting, it may help to ease you anxiety.
I have to tell you, there isn't much, if anything , in this world that bothers me, as it did before I got a glimpse of what is ahead for me when I leave this earth.
I don't embrace death, nor do I fear it.
I think I have a pretty good idea what lies beyond this life.
Bob.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:27 PM

659 posts, read 1,147,064 times
Thanks bob...I need to find a tape recorder and also some blank tapes...I would like to try this and see for myself...long ago, when a young adult hanging out with friends in a club, a guy came in and he was really looped, but he was saying all kinds of things, future events and the end of the world...was interesting but what got my attention was something he said about a song, a rock band, a song that if played loud enough and it has to be reply loud, at the end the singer says...JC go to he'll...we laughed, we left and then went to our car and cranked it, and I swear we all turned white as a ghost...if was plain as day...scared the Dejesus out of us. I dome know if this is done to create attention or if its real...but it was there, still is today.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Thanks bob...I need to find a tape recorder and also some blank tapes...I would like to try this and see for myself...long ago, when a young adult hanging out with friends in a club, a guy came in and he was really looped, but he was saying all kinds of things, future events and the end of the world...was interesting but what got my attention was something he said about a song, a rock band, a song that if played loud enough and it has to be reply loud, at the end the singer says...JC go to he'll...we laughed, we left and then went to our car and cranked it, and I swear we all turned white as a ghost...if was plain as day...scared the Dejesus out of us. I dome know if this is done to create attention or if its real...but it was there, still is today.
When shopping for a recorder, I would stick with a quality name brand reel to reel recorder.
Akai, Sony, Pioneer all made decent recorders.
There are many on Ebay, and the prices are anywhere from $100. up to over a thousand , depending on what the recorder is capable of doing.
I need to get a reel to reel, because I had a cheap, small cassette recorder that as I grew older, my hearing could not decifer the voices well enough.
The sound quality just wasn't good enough.
I have not recorded in a long time, and after the holidays I hope to get a recorder, and get back into it.
Of course with a reel to reel recorder, you will also need a receiver hooked up to the recorder, and speakers for sound.
If you find this setup to be a bit costly right now, you could use a standard cassette recorder for the time being, but regardless of what system you opt for, you will need a headset.
The ones that come with ipods, and mp3 players are really good.
On the reel to reel recorders, because they were made in the seventies and eighties, the jack for the headsets are larger than the ipods ,so you can get an adapter to fit on the end of the headset to be able to plug it into the reel to reel.
They are available at radio shack.
I am looking forward to your results.
Please keep me posted on your progress, either by posting here, or sending me a PM.
Bob.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,383,381 times
Yes Reel to Reel is of course likely to give you a positive result as it is more subject to random white noise and random white noise is likely what is required in order to fool the brain into finding patterns that are not there.

Reel-to-reel, open reel tape recording is the form of magnetic tape audio recording in which the recording medium is held on a reel, rather than being securely contained within a cassette.

Again the trick here is to give you as much randomized noise as possible in order to help you find patterns that are not there because the human mind is great at finding patterns in things that are not there. Especially when the pattern is of something the human brain is evolved to find readily such as voices and faces.

Finding voices in the random white noise of a tape is no more remarkable than the people who are able to find faces in the random mountain ranges on the topology of mars.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:49 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,447,915 times
Anyone familiar with Skeptoid?

"Audio recording gear is used when the ghost hunter hopes that EVP. or electronic voice phenomena, will appear on the recording. EVP's are discussed often enough to warrant their own Skeptoid episode, and we'll be discussing them in detail in the future. An EVP is said to be the voice of a ghost, and the claim is that ghosts can talk perfectly well but can only be heard on an electronic recording. This means that recording gear has the ability to convert inaudible frequencies into audible ones. Engineers do not design this capability into most recording gear, since a change of frequency of perhaps tens of thousands of hertz would render all recordings completely useless and horrible to listen to. So, like they tend to do with all the electronic gear they carry, ghost hunters completely misunderstand, misuse, and mischaracterize the functions of these instruments."

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4081

That's a snippet from his discussion on "Ghost Hunter Tools of the Trade" and how they misuse and don't understand the tools they use like EMF meters, Infrared Thermometers, etc etc, - including assigning abilities to audio equipment it doesn't have (like being able to pick up inaudible signals)!

He has a few other interesting articles on EVP...pretty interesting stuff!

The debunking it (and orbs, etc), that is..

Old 12-18-2011, 04:40 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,991,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
So under a time of great stress you started seeing and hearing things. Very common actually, especially if you have some other undiagnosed medical condition which it could exacerbate. Evidence for things like what this thread is about... not so much.

What you will get however is people, as you already have had, trying to tell you what such an unexplained experience was or means. You have no explanation for it and so people will feel they can call it everything from "communication" to "God" as if your lack of explanation is warrant for them to insert and baseless theory they want.

As you saw without knowing a single piece of evidence, or anything else about you, Virode for example jumped straight in and declared that this is communication and verification of things beyond the life we know.

The fact you have other "visions" too suggests however this has a real cause, likely medical, and you should seek more advice on the subject from doctors and psychologists. It could be a symptom of something more serious and now is the time to find out not later. Do not let peoples magical and woo explanations delay you.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion.
I believe it may be likely that this person is being contacted by an entitly from the other side. I think this sort of thing goes on with a certain amount of frequency and is part of a natural occurrence hereto yet unexplained, but it will be, in good time.

If a person has these 'happenings' and they are unsettling and interfere with life in some way, certainly, see as many professionals as you can, but not all people have their lives upset at all by a visit from a dead loved one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal