Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:01 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm62 View Post
Do you believe in God or a supreme being of some sort?

yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 06:16 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,500,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I've had a few experiences with ghosts but, knowing what I know about the human mind, I have trouble with the whole disembodied spirit thing. Thinking about it now I am forming the theory that it could be like a fold in time, where one point in time might be overlapping another. We think of time as linear but more and more we are told that it's not necessarily that way. Quantum physics certainly has shown us that it is not linear at all. Time is the next dimention and we have trouble understanding it from our point of view, but we do know that it is entirely subjective. This would explain why ghosts appear doing things as they were doing them and dressed as they were in their life. Perhaps strong emotion or trauma causes some kind of ripple effect that increases the possibility of two points in time meeting.

Food for thought anyway.
very interesting...It`s a view worth looking into. I`m open to different beliefs. The issue I have is when people pick and choose which unexplained supernatural to believe and ridicule other`s beliefs. I don`t totally discount it but I`m not sure about ghost walking around. It could be. But I skeptical about it because the overwhelming majority of people claimed to have never seen a ghost. I have hard time believing something based on very few people saying so. I`m not saying it isn`t true, I`m just skeptical. There are people who beleive in bigfoot and swear they have seen one. But I doubt it. There have been cameras and all sorts of video set up in remote wilderness places and nothing ever appears. Same thing with ghost. I`ve seen ghost hunters on tv with their sophisticated equipment and they will say..did you hear that..did see that..did you feel that. But they never get anything conclusive. So the only thing we have to go on is a few people saying they interact with ghost or they saw one. It would be like me saying I see unicorns but can`t show you one, record one, tape one, or video one. I just see them and so I know they are there. So I guess until I see one or someone can show definitive proof I`ll remain unsure.

However, I do believe in an afterlife. I believe our energy or self goes into another realm. So I can see your point about time because that is something that I can make some sense of logically or scientifically. In other words, the physics and time part gives you something to go on that may be reasonable. But how we can come back into the physical realm with no physical body and look the same...that just doesn`t seem to make sense to me. But who knows!

Old 04-25-2012, 06:29 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Quote:
very interesting...It`s a view worth looking into. I`m open to different beliefs. The issue I have is when people pick and choose which unexplained supernatural to believe and ridicule other`s beliefs. I don`t totally discount it but I`m not sure about ghost walking around. It could be. But I skeptical about it because the overwhelming majority of people claimed to have never seen a ghost. I have hard time believing something based on very few people saying so. I`m not saying it isn`t true, I`m just skeptical. There are people who beleive in bigfoot and swear they have seen one. But I doubt it. There have been cameras and all sorts of video set up in remote wilderness places and nothing ever appears. Same thing with ghost. I`ve seen ghost hunters on tv with their sophisticated equipment and they will say..did you hear that..did see that..did you feel that. But they never get anything conclusive. So the only thing we have to go on is a few people saying they interact with ghost or they saw one. It would be like me saying I see unicorns but can`t show you one, record one, tape one, or video one. I just see them and so I know they are there. So I guess until I see one or someone can show definitive proof I`ll remain unsure.

However, I do believe in an afterlife. I believe our energy or self goes into another realm. So I can see your point about time because that is something that I can make some sense of logically or scientifically. In other words, the physics and time part gives you something to go on that may be reasonable. But how we can come back into the physical realm with no physical body and look the same...that just doesn`t seem to make sense to me. But who knows!
I'm in the odd position of having had some very real experiences but the kind of mind that needs a rational explanation. The thought about time accured to me as I was reading the thread so I haven't really thought it through but it's certainly an avenue to go down that has an anchor in science and theories/hypotheses out there that could support it.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Do you believe in a supreme intelligence or God? I`m not talking about the modern day christian church`s take on what God is.. But a belief in a supernatural being or energy that started life.
Not really. I'm somewhere in between agnostic and atheistic. I believe the "supernatural" is just nature that hasn't been explained/understood yet... and I think there are serious holes in our civilization's knowledge base that go unaddressed. Perhaps some as of yet undiscovered fluke of quantum mechanics "records" pieces of experiences or even consciousness into the environment... it may be what got our ancient ancestors believing in life after death and god(s) in the first place.

Last edited by Chango; 04-25-2012 at 07:08 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
I agree and this is why I`m on the fence about ghost. It seems plausible to me because I do believe in an afterlife. But of all of the years people have been studying ghost and with all of the technology we have, noone has really recorded anything. People say they have this recording or that, but it is always sketchy and inconclusive. Plus, I can`t understand why people that have been dead for hundreds of years would still appear in the same environment doing the same things they did back then. Those things don`t exist anymore, so why or how would they just stay there for hundreds of years with noone to communicate with?

As I said, I don`t rule it out, there are just too many unanswered questions. Also, I find it interesting that people will believe in ghost with no proof to the masses but totally disregard a supreme being or intelligence because they say there is no proof. It seems hypocritical to me. They want other people to accept the belief in ghost with no proof. But clamour for proof before they will believe in a supreme intelligence, energy, God or whatever you want to call it.
Pretty much my opinion, as well. There seems to be an inconsistency with the countless reports and the lack of hard evidence. I guess that's the same with a lot of paranormal phenomena. There's an abundance of personal stories or testimonies, but precious little in the way of hard, observable evidence.

I do agree that like atoms, it might just be a matter of having the technology - but that leaves the problem, thousands of people see and experience ghosts WITHOUT any high-tech equipment, and why some not others? If there are literally thousands of haunted houses around the world, why do spectres never appear to crowds of people? If a Poltergeist is causing trouble in a neighbhourhood house it shouldn't be hard for skeptics to go and see for themselves.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Pretty much my opinion, as well. There seems to be an inconsistency with the countless reports and the lack of hard evidence. I guess that's the same with a lot of paranormal phenomena. There's an abundance of personal stories or testimonies, but precious little in the way of hard, observable evidence.

I do agree that like atoms, it might just be a matter of having the technology - but that leaves the problem, thousands of people see and experience ghosts WITHOUT any high-tech equipment, and why some not others? If there are literally thousands of haunted houses around the world, why do spectres never appear to crowds of people? If a Poltergeist is causing trouble in a neighbhourhood house it shouldn't be hard for skeptics to go and see for themselves.
If the spirit(s) want to be seen they will be seen. To whom and why is not for me to determine.
I know what I've seen. Maybe the spirits who presented themselves to me did so because I'm open to communicating with them. They were not strangers, in fact were family members who had crossed over.
One was a cousin with whom I had a pact if I died before her I would appear to her and vice versa. She died a few months back and did pay me a visit. She appeared to me when I was almost asleep and just before I drifted off I had the feeling of being unable to move my body OR open my eyes,even though I was trying. When I finally was allowed to open my eyes my cousin was standing nearby. She had on a green night gown and she looked like what I describe as energy. Like I could see through her but she maintained a form too. There was also another energy form standing near her but I paid little heed to it;just noticed it.
When I saw her I was then able to lift my head off my pillow and said,"you did come!" and she smiled and replied,"I told you I would. I finally get to see where you live" (I had moved a long way from her home years back)
So then I said to her,"what is it like? Is it beautiful? Is it wonderful?"
She deferred to the other energy at that point by glancing over at it. That's when the other energy moved into my cousin's spirit and her face morphed into the face of a man(no one I knew) and it answered me by saying."it is a great place of great beauty,peace and love". It then jumped back from her spirit energy and I looked at my cousin again and said,thank you for coming. I miss you and love you" She said,"I love you too and I'll always be nearby but I have to go now".
She and the other spirit then were gone in like "poof"..........
I could then freely move about.

It isn't the first time such has happened in my life and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Just because someone hasn't experienced it does not make it untrue.
I know what my truth is.
One needs to be receptive to such encounters if they want them.

Last edited by PippySkiddles; 04-25-2012 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: corrected sp. of a word

Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I've had a few experiences with ghosts but, knowing what I know about the human mind, I have trouble with the whole disembodied spirit thing. Thinking about it now I am forming the theory that it could be like a fold in time, where one point in time might be overlapping another. We think of time as linear but more and more we are told that it's not necessarily that way. Quantum physics certainly has shown us that it is not linear at all. Time is the next dimention and we have trouble understanding it from our point of view, but we do know that it is entirely subjective. This would explain why ghosts appear doing things as they were doing them and dressed as they were in their life. Perhaps strong emotion or trauma causes some kind of ripple effect that increases the possibility of two points in time meeting.

Food for thought anyway.
Could be...and also further explain experiencing de-ja-vu.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Could be...and also further explain experiencing de-ja-vu.
Absolutely! I always associated de-ja-vu with a moment in time that needs my extra attention because it always seems to preclude something significant happening. That could be just because I was thinking that way, but it is certainly a possiblity that it could be associated with a bending of time. I was watching a video that someone posted in the religion forum a few days ago that was explaining the different dimensions which probably planted the seed of this in my head.

It was this one...

Imagining the Tenth Dimension (annotated) - YouTube

Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
PippySkiddles, some of your experience sounds a lot like sleep paralysis, except from my understanding sleep paralysis generally subjects the person to terrifying hallucinations and feelings of danger or dread, whereas yours sounds like it was pretty much the opposite. Very interesting. I know a girl who experienced a sort of paralysis upon waking up one morning, except she experienced no visions, hallucinations, or anything; she was simply unable to move her body and claims to have been fully alert. Of course, that would be terrifying enough.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
PippySkiddles, some of your experience sounds a lot like sleep paralysis, except from my understanding sleep paralysis generally subjects the person to terrifying hallucinations and feelings of danger or dread, whereas yours sounds like it was pretty much the opposite. Very interesting. I know a girl who experienced a sort of paralysis upon waking up one morning, except she experienced no visions, hallucinations, or anything; she was simply unable to move her body and claims to have been fully alert. Of course, that would be terrifying enough.
I was awake, I assure you. And it was daylight-not a night visit.
This wasn't my first visit from deceased relatives and friends.
Edit to add: I think the paralysis is controlled by the spirits so that the person they are visiting won't suddenly bolt,jump up or at them.............they control the situation in this way so the person remains calm and the visit is pleasant and their message delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal