Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 03:05 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,455,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
Did not belief in reincarnation have it's basis in religion as did the concept of demonic deception?

Speaking as one who has no dog in this hunt, why is one theory more valid than the other?
Can you please restate your first sentence? Not quite sure what you are asking here.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-30-2012 at 05:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 06:15 PM

143 posts, read 221,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Can you please restate your first sentence? Not quite sure what you are asking here.
Your criticism of Bideshi's belief system alluded to its religious basis. I was pointing out that the concept of reincarnation has its basis in a religious belief system.

So while a Hindu might ridicule a Christian's belief in demonic interference, the Christian might equally ridicule the Hindu's belief in reincarnation. In the meantime, an atheist might find both equally ridiculous.

It all boils down to what the individual chooses to believe.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Your criticism of Bideshi's belief system alluded to its religious basis. I was pointing out that the concept of reincarnation has its basis in a religious belief system.

So while a Hindu might ridicule a Christian's belief in demonic interference, the Christian might equally ridicule the Hindu's belief in reincarnation. In the meantime, an atheist might find both equally ridiculous.

It all boils down to what the individual chooses to believe.
Actually what it boils down to is realizing that you have been conditioned from birth to believe in whatever religion is practiced by who brought you up or what your country follows.

Did you ever stop to realize that your religion is just as accidental as where you were born? This can also be applied to the language that you speak.

The problem with religion...it conditions/brainwashes people to believe in whatever it teaches and shuns them when they think outside the box or question the conditionings. It also teaches its followers to harshly judge the ones who do think outside the box. Sounds like a cult IMO.

People can believe whatever they want but need to stay clear of this thread with their religious brainwashing rhetoric demonizing reincarnation.

BTW reincarnation does not have its basis in religion.

So now can we get this discussion back onto the subject of reincarnation? This is not a religious debate.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:32 AM

143 posts, read 221,261 times
Actually what it boils down to is realizing that you have been conditioned from birth to believe in whatever religion is practiced by who brought you up or what your country follows.

Many are brought up without formal religion but often adapt a philosophy of life since nature abhors a spiritual void. Both can be equally conditioning.

The problem with religion...it conditions/brainwashes people to believe in whatever it teaches and shuns them when they think outside the box or question the conditionings. It also teaches its followers to harshly judge the ones who do think outside the box. Sounds like a cult IMO.

I do not believe this is true of all religions.

People can believe whatever they want but need to stay clear of this thread with their religious brainwashing rhetoric demonizing reincarnation.

I thought they were expressing an opinion. Why is that not allowed by you? Why do you consider it brainwashing?

Please site sources.

So now can we get this discussion back onto the subject of reincarnation? This is not a religious debate.

Any discussion on reincarnation (or other paranormal matters) should be inclusive enough to provide evidence for and evidence against its existence. Otherwise we invite conditions which you described above:

The problem with religion (belief in reincarnation)...it conditions/brainwashes people to believe in whatever it teaches and shuns them when they think outside the box or question the conditionings. It also teaches its followers to harshly judge the ones who do think outside the box. Sounds like a cult IMO.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Many are brought up without formal religion but often adapt a philosophy of life since nature abhors a spiritual void. Both can be equally conditioning.
Not true. Most are brought up being taught a religion. It is mostly based on what country you were born in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations

Please site a source for your claim.

Quote:

I do not believe this is true of all religions.
The only one that I am aware of where this is not true is Buddhism. It is an all-inclusive religion.

May I suggest you take a philosophy course in World Religion. You will find that all of them have a savior or enlightened one. That they suffered to gain their wisdom and that they are the only way to heaven or enlightenment.

This documentary sums up most of the world religions basic themes.

Religulous - Trailer - YouTube
Quote:
I thought they were expressing an opinion. Why is that not allowed by you? Why do you consider it brainwashing?
Of course he was expressing his opinion but it was based on his Christian conditionings/brainwashing and held no merit in this discussion. Religious dogma about Satan and demonic deceptions...which part did not sound like brainwashing religious conditionings to you?

If he does not believe in it then just say so or better yet don’t post. Why come to a thread where people who want to share their experiences of past life regression or belief in reincarnation and just pop in to throw around your religious dogma? I certainly don't post in the Christian forum about how utterly ridiculous I think their religion is...what would be the point of doing that?

Quote:

Please site sources.
Be mindful of what you are claiming for the basis of other religions.

Basis: What is the basis of Christianity? Conditioning people to believe that Jesus is the son of God. Jesus is your savior since he died for our sins. All you have to do is believe this to be considered a Christian and accepted into the Kingdom of heaven. That is the basis of Christianity. If you don't believe this then you are not considered a Christian. If you don't believe this then you are going to hell...according to them.

No matter what horrible deeds you consciously do in this lifetime all you have to do is believe that Jesus is the son of God who died for our sins and you are guaranteed a seat in heaven. What a bizarre basis but it is what it is. Believing is their basis.

Keep in mind that all religions have one belief in common...a belief in the transmigration of the soul. However it is NOT a requirement to believe in reincarnation to be a follower of the Eastern religions. Therefore it is not the basis of those religions.
For example in Hinduism: All the diverse religious groups and philosophical schools of Hinduism, except that of Carvaka, believe in reincarnation. However, it should be noted that belief in reincarnation is not the basic teaching or the end of their religious cult and practices. Instead, it is deliverance from the chain of reincarnation (karma-samsara) and reaching moksha, the unique and final goal of every Hindu religious belief, cult and practices.

In Buddhism the basis is: The practicing the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eightfold Path. Buddhism does not require that you believe in reincarnation in order to follow their practices.

Again I suggest that you take a philosophy course in World Religion or just Google to learn about the basis of those religions.

Quote:
Any discussion on reincarnation (or other paranormal matters) should be inclusive enough to provide evidence for and evidence against its existence. Otherwise we invite conditions which you described above.
I completely agree! But tell me what do religious dogma rants about demonic deceptions and Satan blinding the world of truth have to do with providing evidence for or against the existence of reincarnation?

Last edited by TVC15; 01-01-2013 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Typos

Old 01-08-2013, 05:44 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,528,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes I do believe that I've had a past life. The only one that I've been told about and that I felt a connection to before it was confirmed by a psychic, was in Eastern Europe as the wife of a Doctor. I was Jewish and I was sent to Auschwitz where I was Killed in a gas chamber. My name was Anna.

All of my life I have had a fear of being incarcerated, of fire, gas, and other related things. Although I'm not Jewish, things that are Jewish resonate for me. I also have many Jewish friends.

When I have visited Easter Europe, I picked up the languages easily.

I was always horrified by the Holocaust and when I fist saw photos of it, they looked somehow familiar.

I think it has given me a sensitivity to abuse, torture, bigotry, and Nationalism.

I don't know why, but I feel as if I was part of the Holocaust. I was always moved to tears whenever I saw scenes from newsreels, movies, and have read many books on the subject. But a dream I had made it so much more real. I saw my self as a woman in a cage. It was not fit for dogs. My hair was matted and I was naked and filthy. I awoke and was shaken. The image stayed with me for a long time.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM

25,870 posts, read 18,882,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Or not believe. The truth is we are all guessing. Atheism is simply another guess, as is any religion.

As for past lives, it needn't have any direct link to religion other that there is a high degree of likelihood it played a major roll in at least some of the past lives (if any) we have lead. I'm making that claim only from a statistical standpoint.

It's quite amusing in a dark sort of way, actually, that, assuming the idea of past lives and reincarnation, it is totally plausible that a "soul" could have existed as a Jew in one life and anti-Jew in another, or a staunch in-your-face Christian and staunch in-your-face atheist, or Irish in one and Northern Irish loyalist to England in another, or Korean in one and Japanese in another, or Crusaders and Islamic. Or from our own national history, a slave and a slave-owner.

If that turned out to be the case, I think it would point out much erroneous thought and stupidity (on all our parts), once revealed to the "life-traveling" spirit. It would be a very good object lesson indeed.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:32 PM

Count me out on the we are all guessing part. I am not guessing.

My point was about those who are conditioned to believe in a religion. More people are conditoned to believe in one than to not.

In my past life regression I was a non-conformist to the common way of thinking especially with regards to religion.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:42 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,600,169 times
I do believe in spirit reincarnation, though I also believe that the former life has little bearing on the circumstances of the next life, along the lines of how one acts in a current life has anything to do with the circumstances one is born into for the next life. I believe that's nothing more than a crapshoot. I do, however, believe that what has happened to one in a previous life may affect them in the next life. For example, when I was growing up (I'm 30 now), I was deathly afraid to swallow pills. Whenever I would try, I would bring the pill to my mouth, but I would just freeze, and I couldn't make myself do it, I was afraid I would choke on it. It wasn'y until I was 20, when I was very very sick, that I finally forced myself to take a pill (same hesitation when bringing it to my mouth, but I mentally got myself past it) and since then, I've had no fears of it. It's always made me wonder if I possibly choked to death in a prior life. Or maybe I was just being an irrational kid

Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I do believe in spirit reincarnation, though I also believe that the former life has little bearing on the circumstances of the next life, along the lines of how one acts in a current life has anything to do with the circumstances one is born into for the next life. I believe that's nothing more than a crapshoot. I do, however, believe that what has happened to one in a previous life may affect them in the next life. For example, when I was growing up (I'm 30 now), I was deathly afraid to swallow pills. Whenever I would try, I would bring the pill to my mouth, but I would just freeze, and I couldn't make myself do it, I was afraid I would choke on it. It wasn'y until I was 20, when I was very very sick, that I finally forced myself to take a pill (same hesitation when bringing it to my mouth, but I mentally got myself past it) and since then, I've had no fears of it. It's always made me wonder if I possibly choked to death in a prior life. Or maybe I was just being an irrational kid
That's funny!

I also think that how you were in the former life comes through in the next life. Supposedly in my past life I was non-mainstream in my thinking especially when it came to religion. I was suposedly murdered in a vicious way because of it. Maybe I was here during the Witch Hunt era in my past life.

In this life I was never taught by anyone to think the way that I do about religion. Intuitively I just knew there was something wrong with religion. I intuitively found my spiritual path early in this lifetime. And I still don't think like most...I am very unconventional and always have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal