Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 AM

7,201 posts, read 15,026,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzytx View Post
I don' think 'family reunions' are Amy's forte... From what I've seen of her she seems to practice defensive mediumship.

Unless these TV shows are not legit, it fascinates me that two different people should have such different experiences with what they term the afterlife. I can attribute some of their information to cold reading but some of it is a little too accurate.
Accurate how? It's all generalizations and when they really FLUB, they will not put THAT on TV. They're all frauds. They're making money on the sad and depressed.

Quote:
Patching all of the versions together, I venture to theorize an alternate dimension hoax rather than communication from our dearly departed. Or it could all just be smoke and mirrors.
Now you're talking.......

Quote:
Since humans tend to be egocentric in constructing their worldview, I doubt my theory would find much favor across the board. But it might make a great Outer Limits episode and Einstein smile, to boot.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
If someone spoke to you from beyond the grave,(though you did not physically see them) and you actually heard their voice, would you then believe there is life after death?
Bob.
That's called schizophrenia. They hear voices speaking to them from beyond the grave, from the still living.....

Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
You are attaching earthly and human characteristics as properties of our soul.
Are you saying the soul then is really aliens from outer space invading embryos of humans?

Quote:
Once we are out of this fleshy body none of that pertains to us. Our soul is not constrained by the illusions that we experienced on planet earth in our fleshy body.
I've never suffered illusions or delusions........

Old 02-02-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecat View Post
Hi

FAITH
After studying the bible for several years and realizing what's going on here on earth, I chose science over faith.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”
There is another saying that goes, "Those who can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

Old 02-02-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I will never understand why this planet is so full of so many lost and ruthless ignorant people...I truly wonder what happens to them when they die.
The same thing that will happen to you and all the other animals on earth. Everything decomposes and is recycled.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:55 AM

25,976 posts, read 18,965,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Also keep in mind that there are about 22,000 known religions on earth, all having different beliefs and all believing they are the RIGHT religion and have the RIGHT God/Gods/Goddesses.
And how many atheists believe they are right? Don't kid yourself into believing that you are any different than anyone else in those 22,000 religions (that's not an insult on you personally, it's a fact. It's a fact for all of us). Your's is simply another flavor of religion.

Quote:
I've never suffered illusions or delusions........
You may well be in one right now. Your entire life may be an illusion. And if you can prove to me otherwise, I'd be glad to hear you out.

As I stated earlier about all of us: we should be a bit less declarative when we are talking about something we know nothing about. Ask a three year old about calculus. He/she will be about as informed as you have been in your posts here. (again, I am not insulting you personally. I'm as in the dark about it as you are. The difference is that I freely admit that, and I have an open mind for things about which none of us can possibly know).

Ask a blind person (no offense intended) to describe a sunset. If they tell you the sunset doesn't exist, do you believe them? It's certainly true for them. But is it true in an absolute sense? Think.

In your previous post, you asked me why I thought the world would improve if everyone didn't just *know* they were right about everything they have an opinion on. Go into a class of 30 kindergärtners where every child is spoiled rotten and knows everything about everything. Spend a day with them. And get back to me on that. You tell me why it would be a better world if everyone didn't insist they were right about everything.

Last edited by ChrisC; 02-02-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville1 View Post
It is said we lose 21 grams the moment of death. Some say it's the soul leaving the body. I'd like to know what that's about. When people recount their near death experience, they typically talk about seeing themselves from above. Makes me wonder if that has something to do with the 21 grams. And if that's so, do they lose the 21 grams then regain it before they regain consciousness?
I don't know whether this is true or not. It does make for interesting discussion. The thing is... it wouldn't matter if it were proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. In fact, I conjecture that it wouldn't matter if it were proven conclusively that there IS, in fact, an afterlife. It wouldn't matter. Most people have made their minds up on the matter. End of discussion--their minds are closed, never to be reopened again. Never to have curiosity on the matter again. In their infinite, infallible wisdom, they know. Closed mind. Done. Fini.

It was proven a long time ago that the earth is roughly spherical. Yet there are still those who believe it is flat. Proof pales in comparison to close-mindedness. It doesn't matter if the item in question is a known or unknown.

If it were proven tomorrow that we are nothing besides what we see right here and now, I'd accept that. If it were proven tomorrow that this is simply a phase of a larger existence, I'd accept that. However, as with any good scientist worth his/her salt, I will not make a conclusion on an unknown. And I will not state I KNOW something I can't possibly know. I will, however, guess... and rightfully call it a guess.

Last edited by ChrisC; 02-02-2013 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
And how many atheists believe they are right? Don't kid yourself into believing that you are any different than anyone else in those 22,000 religions (that's not an insult on you personally, it's a fact. It's a fact for all of us). Your's is simply another flavor of religion.
Not believing in something is not a religion.

Quote:
You may well be in one right now. Your entire life may be an illusion. And if you can prove to me otherwise, I'd be glad to hear you out.
Prove reality is an allusion.

Quote:
As I stated earlier about all of us: we should be a bit less declarative when we are talking about something we know nothing about.
You have no idea what other people know or experienced in their lives.

Quote:
Ask a three year old about calculus. He/she will be about as informed as you have been in your posts here. (again, I am not insulting you personally. I'm as in the dark about it as you are. The difference is that I freely admit that, and I have an open mind for things about which none of us can possibly know).
As do I. But there are some totally absurd things no one with an IQ above 80 would believe. You cannot judge what is in the minds of others.

Quote:
In your previous post, you asked me why I thought the world would improve if everyone didn't just *know* they were right about everything they have an opinion on. Go into a class of 30 kindergärtners where every child is spoiled rotten and knows everything about everything. Spend a day with them. And get back to me on that. You tell me why it would be a better world if everyone didn't insist they were right about everything.
That wasn't what I asked........

Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Not believing in something is not a religion.
Does lack of belief imply belief?

If I don't believe that the dog next door will bark within the next ten minutes... do I then believe that it will not bark within the next ten minutes?

Religion (n): a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

Quote:
Prove reality is an allusion.
I think you mean illusion. We're not talking literature.

But to answer the question, I can't. See my point? Now flip it 180 degrees back to you and we have liftoff, Houston. You're arguing my point for me.

Quote:
You have no idea what other people know or experienced in their lives.
No, I don't. Again, you've made my point for me. Thank you. If I say the sky is blue and you say, no, it's blue, well, we really don't have much of an argument, do we.

Quote:
As do I. But there are some totally absurd things no one with an IQ above 80 would believe.
In 1620, nobody with an IQ above 80 would have believed that we would some day go to the moon. Or that one day we would miraculously flip a switch and our "oil lamp" would magically illuminate without any oil, or seemingly without any rational explanation.

If you ask someone who lives in a two dimensional universe about the laws that govern a three-dimensional universe, you will undoubtedly get a subset of three-dimensional reality. Now simply up the dimension by one (or a 100) and you'll have our condition.

Quote:
You cannot judge what is in the minds of others.
Again, thanks for reinforcing my point.

Quote:
That wasn't what I asked........
Of course it was.

My words: We must all be free to hold our own views and beliefs. That's what makes us individuals, rather than sheep. But I strongly believe in Fallibilism, and Academic Skepticism. I wish more people in this world did as well.

Your words: Why? How would that help you?

It would help me for the same reason it would help everyone else, which was stated in an earlier post.

Last edited by ChrisC; 02-02-2013 at 10:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.