Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well I think the existence of ghost would at least open up the possibility that there is an afterlife. I think it's very shortsighted to believe in ghost and at the same time think that there is no possibility that there could be a heaven or an afterlife.
Do I believe in god? No

Do I believe in heaven? No

Do I think there might be an afterlife for this thing that powers my body? Maybe

Do I believe in ghosts? Maybe

But what I don't understand is why when people talk of ghosts they are somehow get associated with religion and god....

With so many unknowns in this Multiverse why people still talk the way our ancestors did 4,000 years ago concerning ghosts is laughable....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
If ghosts are real why can't every one see them? How can there be any self aware beings after the brain dies? If energy simply changes form what happens to our electrical energy? Logical thinking for me dictates that paranormal experiences shouldn't be. Life after the brain dies is nothingness. If energy changes form it should disappear into the vastness. Yet Ive had many paranormal experiences that I can't explain. The little 85 bed hospital where I currently work is haunted and I've had three strange experiences two in the same room and one across the hall from that same room. I've had strange experiences my entire life that I simply don't understand. Things move when I'm around and a coworker was with me when this has happened on two different occasions at different hospitals. Is it coming from me? If so how do you explain the footsteps going up the stairs that woke me up while I was sleeping on the couch? The dog and I jumped up to try and see it but nothing was there. What if it's just a part of the brain that is more developed in some and not others? What if being labeled psychic means you are just more in tune with the cadence and rhythms of life? Like when I told John not to get out of the stock market because it would go up and it did, 900 points after he panicked about the sequester and put everything in a fixed account. How did I know it was a mistake for him to sell? I wish I had the answers so I'll just have to keep an open mind. Is there a God? I hope so for those that feel the need for it. I'm OK with a long life and nothingness after that.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,043,403 times
There you go. In the same way that humans cannot hear certain frequencies of sound or see certain spectrums of light with the naked eye...why is it impossible to believe that some people just can't see these entitites?

Also why assume that they are supernatural and that it has anything to do with heaven/hell/god(s)? We really know almost nothing about the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Do I believe in god? No

Do I believe in heaven? No

Do I think there might be an afterlife for this thing that powers my body? Maybe

Do I believe in ghosts? Maybe

But what I don't understand is why when people talk of ghosts they are somehow get associated with religion and god....
With so many unknowns in this Multiverse why people still talk the way our ancestors did 4,000 years ago concerning ghosts is laughable....

Old 03-28-2013, 12:13 PM

I agree with this and that is what drives me crazy. Logic vs what I have seen with my own two eyes and heard with my own ears tells me otherwise. I wasn't high, drunk, or sleep deprived when I experienced these things on different occassions. It just messes me up and makes me feel confused at times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
If ghosts are real why can't every one see them? How can there be any self aware beings after the brain dies? If energy simply changes form what happens to our electrical energy? Logical thinking for me dictates that paranormal experiences shouldn't be. Life after the brain dies is nothingness. If energy changes form it should disappear into the vastness. Yet Ive had many paranormal experiences that I can't explain. The little 85 bed hospital where I currently work is haunted and I've had three strange experiences two in the same room and one across the hall from that same room. I've had strange experiences my entire life that I simply don't understand. Things move when I'm around and a coworker was with me when this has happened on two different occasions at different hospitals. Is it coming from me? If so how do you explain the footsteps going up the stairs that woke me up while I was sleeping on the couch? The dog and I jumped up to try and see it but nothing was there. What if it's just a part of the brain that is more developed in some and not others? What if being labeled psychic means you are just more in tune with the cadence and rhythms of life? Like when I told John not to get out of the stock market because it would go up and it did, 900 points after he panicked about the sequester and put everything in a fixed account. How did I know it was a mistake for him to sell? I wish I had the answers so I'll just have to keep an open mind. Is there a God? I hope so for those that feel the need for it. I'm OK with a long life and nothingness after that.

Old 03-28-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
There you go. In the same way that humans cannot hear certain frequencies of sound or see certain spectrums of light with the naked eye...why is it impossible to believe that some people just can't see these entitites?
Just how do you know they are entities?

en·ti·ty

Noun
- A thing with distinct and independent existence.
- Existence; being: "entity and nonentity".

?????????

Quote:
Also why assume that they are supernatural and that it has anything to do with heaven/hell/god(s)? We really know almost nothing about the universe.
Why don't you go read post #5 and see what I was replying to?

Did you read what I posted in #3? Obviously not......

Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM

I read your posts and I won't say that you're wrong or right because there really is no way for any of us to know for sure while we are still alive. So I don't know what else to call them except entities.

I like what you had to say though and it feels right but is it right? Uh, who knows?

Anyway, this is an exercise in frustration. It's like why ask why when I know that it's unknowable? Argggh. Maybe I need to get high or drunk and just stop pondering stuff that can't be answered? Being an ignorant human with limited knowledge is very frustrating. We know enough to want to know but we just can't know and that is crazy making. I really want to know but the only way to know is to die and I'll pass on that for at least another 50-60 years.

Quote:
Just how do you know they are entities?

en·ti·ty

Noun
- A thing with distinct and independent existence.
- Existence; being: "entity and nonentity".

?????????

Why don't you go read post #5 and see what I was replying to?

Did you read what I posted in #3? Obviously not......

Old 03-28-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Anyway, this is an exercise in frustration. It's like why ask why when I know that it's unknowable? Argggh. Maybe I need to get high or drunk and just stop pondering stuff that can't be answered? Being an ignorant human with limited knowledge is very frustrating. We know enough to want to know but we just can't know and that is crazy making. I really want to know but the only way to know is to die and I'll pass on that for at least another 50-60 years.
I see we have the same idea about dying, except I'll find out in a couple of years......

Old 03-28-2013, 03:15 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,159,916 times
I believe that Ghosts exist, due to my personal experiences. I also believe God exists, due to my personal experience.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Who knows? Nothing is guaranteed. You may outlast me.

Quote:
I see we have the same idea about dying, except I'll find out in a couple of years......

Old 03-29-2013, 09:41 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
I agree with this and that is what drives me crazy. Logic vs what I have seen with my own two eyes and heard with my own ears tells me otherwise. I wasn't high, drunk, or sleep deprived when I experienced these things on different occassions. It just messes me up and makes me feel confused at times.
It's nice when you come across someone else who has experienced things you don't understand. There's a feeling of isolation when you try to talk about these things to people that have ever experienced anything strange. You have to be careful lest they look at you like you have two heads. When I told my husband about the towel being ripped off of the tub while I was in the shower he thought I was having a psychotic break. He's come to accept that I'm different over the years without thinking I'm crazy. Finally. I would love to keep in touch with you and compare notes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal