Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:44 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times

Advertisements

Now hear me out because if you are a believer, I do not look down on you what-so-ever. You have every right to believe as you like, and I trust that you have your reasons.

I am about 40 years old, and whereas all of my life I leaned towards skepticism, certain experiences that I had when I was a child left the door open. I have always been interested in the paranormal to one extent or another, and gave everything I saw personally or researched a fair hearing. I even spent a lot of time visiting famous paranormal places.

A few years back, I closed the door entirely. I found perfectly good scientific explanations for all of my own experiences (one very frightening episode of sleep paralysis!) and what is more, I have been able to find not a single shred of documented evidence for the paranormal. Most pictures and videos are debunked on youtube or other websites almost the instant they are posted by people with a good eye and knowledge of editing- in this day and age when everyone has a camera in their cell phone 24-7, there is no reason that there should not be a massive body of indisputable evidence.

I always held up the "Robbie Mannaheim" case that THE EXORCIST was based on as a kind of gold standard of an apparently extremely well documented paranormal case, but a few years back I read a really stellar debunking by Mark Opsasnick

Part I - The Haunted Boy: the Inspiration for the Exorcist

Sadly, I had to toss that on the heap of the debunked along with the Amityville hoax and the Enfield poltergeist. They are now making movies out of the other Ed and Lorraine Warren cases- almost all of which have already been revealed to be hoaxes.

So what are we left with? Is there any reason that these beings from the goblin universe don't show themselves when the camera is on?

Please throw some cases at me, and remember, I am not mad at you, do not think that there is anything wrong with you, and am not insulting you for your beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 01:01 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
This isn't 'documented' but it happened. I live alone. My house has a spare bedroom I was using as an office/computer room. The cable to the internet connected in that room. It was a nice office when it was not too cold or hot, but it was cold that night. Nobody was around. I had two dogs and a couple of cats, none in the room (not that any could unplug things) The plugs were in plastic boxes which had a layer which had to be lifted off. When my puppy chewed the printer cord in half they went under protection.

So, this room is also not empty. I would sit in there feeling as if I wasn't alone. There is an old man there, and I think he died there. He isn't angry or mean, but he got playful. I'd be sitting in the living room with the desk moved in there (use an external keyboard instead of the chicklets on the laptop) Then I'd try to connect and nada. I'd go in and the power strip was turned off. In order to reach it I'd have to pull a crate of books off the top.

What made me sure someone was in there was this one evening. I suppose something could shut off a power strip, but not unplug all the cords. I was on the laptop, online. Then I watched a movie. Didn't get up once, but went back to the computer after the movie and ... no signel.

I go in to check. The power strip is where it was. Every plug is pulled out and sitting in front. I didn't leave. To get in the room you'd have to crawl in a window or come in the front door. My dogs bark when someone drives into their driveway across the street. They didn't bark. I was sitting across from the door. You'd have to move things to reach it anyway. But the plugs are neatly dropped in front.

I plugged them in, repiled the crate, and walked out. Then I went back in and told the old guy that I didn't care if he was there. But he left my stuff alone. He could enjoy his kitties visiting (I think they sensed him) and no problem but I knew how to make him leave. (I do).

Not once since that did anything happen to the setup, not anything unplugged or shut off.

One of my cats died in that room, and since then the sense of peace is strong, even with it full of stuff. Before it felt distrubed and lonesome. I think her spirt is still there with her friend.

I am working on the rest of the house, but when I get to that room will expect peaceful vibes.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:50 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,121,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
This isn't 'documented' but it happened. I live alone. My house has a spare bedroom I was using as an office/computer room. The cable to the internet connected in that room. It was a nice office when it was not too cold or hot, but it was cold that night. Nobody was around. I had two dogs and a couple of cats, none in the room (not that any could unplug things) The plugs were in plastic boxes which had a layer which had to be lifted off. When my puppy chewed the printer cord in half they went under protection.

So, this room is also not empty. I would sit in there feeling as if I wasn't alone. There is an old man there, and I think he died there. He isn't angry or mean, but he got playful. I'd be sitting in the living room with the desk moved in there (use an external keyboard instead of the chicklets on the laptop) Then I'd try to connect and nada. I'd go in and the power strip was turned off. In order to reach it I'd have to pull a crate of books off the top.

What made me sure someone was in there was this one evening. I suppose something could shut off a power strip, but not unplug all the cords. I was on the laptop, online. Then I watched a movie. Didn't get up once, but went back to the computer after the movie and ... no signel.

I go in to check. The power strip is where it was. Every plug is pulled out and sitting in front. I didn't leave. To get in the room you'd have to crawl in a window or come in the front door. My dogs bark when someone drives into their driveway across the street. They didn't bark. I was sitting across from the door. You'd have to move things to reach it anyway. But the plugs are neatly dropped in front.

I plugged them in, repiled the crate, and walked out. Then I went back in and told the old guy that I didn't care if he was there. But he left my stuff alone. He could enjoy his kitties visiting (I think they sensed him) and no problem but I knew how to make him leave. (I do).

Not once since that did anything happen to the setup, not anything unplugged or shut off.

One of my cats died in that room, and since then the sense of peace is strong, even with it full of stuff. Before it felt distrubed and lonesome. I think her spirt is still there with her friend.

I am working on the rest of the house, but when I get to that room will expect peaceful vibes.
Thanks for sharing. Like you said, it is not exactly what I am looking for, but I do enjoy reading.

You see, here is where the paradox comes in. I believe your story. I can think of no alternative explanation. I do not think that you are crazy or just forgot that you unplugged them. Nor do I believe someone snuck in your house, unplugged your plugs for a joke and left. There is a mystery here.

And yet, if I accept that these sorts of things are common, why not one "paranormal activity" type camera catch on something like this that is not an obvious edit? Not necessarily from you, but one of the millions of other people that something like this might have happened to?

If someone has the goods, I would like to see it is all.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 AM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Please throw some cases at me.
Google can give you the details, but here are some feathers for your hat:

Guadalupe. The tilma of Juan Diego, made of cactus fibers, should have deteriorated decades and decades ago. It hasn't. Why?

The incorruptible body of St. Charbel. The corpse was examined by physicians.

The Belgian UFO wave has some pretty compelling evidence. The die-hard skeptics claim that this is either a helicopter or "meterological phenomenon." http://www.ufoevidence.org/images2/1990ufo4[1].gif

Actually a really good and skeptical book on the whole UFO craze is UFOs: Generals, Pilots, and Government Officials Go on the Record by Leslie Kean. She is very skeptical and says outright that 95% or more of supposed UFO sightings are explainable by known causes. It's the remaining 5% that are fascinating. She doesn't come down on the side of aliens or time travelers or Atlanteans or any of the other hoo-ha. Her ultimate conclusion is that these are UNIDENTIFIED Flying Objects. We don't know what they are.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:22 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Lots of documentation on remote viewing- here is a film on an actual case....
Remote Viewing an Abduction: Searching for Christina White - Top Documentary Films

Old 11-09-2014, 10:40 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
The Belgian UFO wave has some pretty compelling evidence. The die-hard skeptics claim that this is either a helicopter or "meterological phenomenon." http://www.ufoevidence.org/images2/1990ufo4[1].gif
I think they moved it here:

UFO Photo : Belgium - March, 1990

Old 11-09-2014, 12:23 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
The problem I have with the question is the word "indisputably". Very little in life is indisputable.

Anyway, I'd add the Shroud of Turin to the list. Having studied this for many years (starting with a book back around 1962 by an Italian doctor who I think was the first to attempt a scientific study), I don't think it's a medieval forgery, or a forgery at all. What it really is and whether something "paranormal" was involved is open for debate and further research. One of the more convincing pieces of evidence for its antiquity is the Sudarium of Oviedo, whose location in a Spanish church can be dated back to (I think) the sixth century. It's allegedly the cloth that was placed over the crucified man's face when he was first taken down from the cross (before the body was wrapped in the Shroud). It contains the same Mideastern pollens as the Shroud and the blood marks seem to match up with the shroud.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:03 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,981,308 times
You want proof?
Get involved with evp, and it just might make a difference in what you think.

Bob.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:39 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Hey, what about the Phoenix UFOs...that was WAY documented!
March 1997....Phoenix Lights another name.

The Lady of Fatima 1917...was witnessed by thousands!

The miracle healings at Lourdes, France...1858.

Just off the top.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:13 AM

4,882 posts, read 5,015,823 times
The Bell Witch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal