Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 03:04 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,321,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
The temperature change making the the wood between floors making this creaking sound only last one second and it makes one or two creaking sound. It sounds like your gnome sound is different. Do you hear foot steps? If so, how many steps and does it go from one place to another like a child/gnome would do? Was it walking or running?

I think the roof sound can still be explained. You said it sound like something rolling down. A bird, rat, or squirrel running down can create that sound easily.

The dog thing can be explained too. If there are sound created by wood creaking or any noise, it can scare the dog too.

The bed thing is weird, but it might be your own butt print. Unless you see it going from flat to an imprint live.
The thing we jokingly refer to as the gnome sound is on the roof, but my roof is steeply pitched and honestly it sounds like a little tiny person about 9 inches tall in heels or heavy little shoes running across a flat surface. The step noises are always the same distance apart. They don't speed up or slow down. I don't know how many steps it takes but it lasts about 15 seconds or so and it sounds the exact same way every time it happens. I have no idea what it is.
I don't think it's an animal because the way it's headed there's no where for it to go. No access to trees. There are no animals in the attic, and over on that side of the house there is no attic.

The footsteps were weird. It sounded exactly like my husband does when he walks from one side of the bedroom to the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 05:22 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,254,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
The roof noise has probably been going on since we bought it 17 years ago. I always figured maybe it was those 'itchy ball's.. I don't know the proper name for them, I think they fall from maple trees but we cut that tree down 2 years ago and I don't think those balls are heavy enough to make the sound that we all hear. I don't have any trees near my house now.
There's no piping or ducts up there. It's just ceiling and then roof. It literally sounds like a tiny person running over my roof. Even the sounds it makes are evenly spaced. We had a new roof put on 5 years ago too and we still get that noise. Neither my husband or I have any idea what it could be. When we hear it we always look up at the ceiling and jokingly say that our gnome is running across the roof again.
you have a mouse runnning around your attic.

I know you don't have a crawl space above your raised ceiling, but you have plenty of space for a mouse. I had a mouse once and it sounded the same. I could even here it scratching. just put a trap up there somewhere with some peanut butter and come back in 2 days. it will find the trap.

the alternative could be a spirit throwing rocks which I doubt.

as for the bed depressing, I think it's a remnant of a dream much like the feel of falling that jars you awake.

I think you're partially awake and you feel the sitting on the bed thing. Buy a foam mattress and understand that you can't feel someone sitting on the bed even if they were twice your weight. if you still feel that depression, then you'll know it's in your mind/dream

Old 03-26-2016, 06:16 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,067,299 times
Quote:
When I'm downstairs sometimes I hear what sounds like footsteps walking across my wood bedroom floor. When I'm in bed I sometimes feel the side of the bed go down like someone sat on it.

When I'm upstairs in the living room I hear something rolling or bouncing across the roof. We have cathedral ceilings so I know it's on the roof and the roof is steeply angled. It's not an animal. There's no way an animal could even get up there. It's happened so many times I couldn't even begin to count. I have no idea what it could be. It's been happening since we moved in 17 years ago.

I'm looking for rational explanations. I believe in the paranormal, but I'd rather it be in other people's houses and not mine. I have to live here.

I heard the footsteps tonight and I'm afraid to go upstairs and go to bed.

IMO, it's probably a demon.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
you have a mouse runnning around your attic.

I know you don't have a crawl space above your raised ceiling, but you have plenty of space for a mouse. I had a mouse once and it sounded the same. I could even here it scratching. just put a trap up there somewhere with some peanut butter and come back in 2 days. it will find the trap.

the alternative could be a spirit throwing rocks which I doubt.

as for the bed depressing, I think it's a remnant of a dream much like the feel of falling that jars you awake.

I think you're partially awake and you feel the sitting on the bed thing. Buy a foam mattress and understand that you can't feel someone sitting on the bed even if they were twice your weight. if you still feel that depression, then you'll know it's in your mind/dream
Your mouse theory is something i never considered but it sounds like a possibility. I haven't seen any evidence of mice in the cupboards or anything though, but maybe he's going to the gutters to look for bits of dropped food. I get birds up there and I know some birds carry their food away to eat it.. hmmm.. The ceilings are lower in the bedrooms so there is attic space up there. I've never heard anything that could be in the attic from the bedrooms but there is insulation so that could drown out any noise.

I'll try the mouse trap and see what happens. thanks..

Old 03-26-2016, 07:02 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
IMO, it's probably a demon.
Along the lines of mainebrokerman... (not sure if sandgirl is being serious or not)

I grew up in a house with "a ghost". I thought it was cool growing up but after moving out, growing up and accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior, I came back for a visit with my young son and thought it was anything but cool. He slept and I was crawling into bed when it showed up. I thought "I just need to turn the light on". Nope. That didn't work. "Go away!" I hissed at it. Nope. That didn't work. Aaaand it dawned on me - The Lord's Prayer. Nothing evil can be in the presence of the Lord. The dark will never drive out the Light, but bring Light into darkness and darkness flees.

So yep. Pray. And if you're not sure how, start like this "Okay God. I know you're up there. I'm not sure who Jesus is but I'd like to know more. Please protect me from evil and help me sleep." And it never hurts to keep a Bible in case you forget the Lord's prayer or just need something to read before you go to sleep. He will never let you down!

eta: someone else slept up there in that room in my mom's house - my big bad, kick anyone's butt ex. He saw "the ghost" and nearly climbed underneath me he was so scared. I was asleep.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:52 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,582,975 times
Quote:
Your mouse theory is something i never considered but it sounds like a possibility. I haven't seen any evidence of mice in the cupboards or anything though, but maybe he's going to the gutters to look for bits of dropped food. I get birds up there and I know some birds carry their food away to eat it.. hmmm.. The ceilings are lower in the bedrooms so there is attic space up there. I've never heard anything that could be in the attic from the bedrooms but there is insulation so that could drown out any noise.

I'll try the mouse trap and see what happens. thanks..
Didn't I tell you countless times that it was a squirrel or some type of animal?

Old 03-26-2016, 08:08 PM

I wasn't sure if either one of them were being serious....

Mainebrokerman, if you were serious and not making fun of me, the please accept my apologies and that is one weird story that happened to you.

I'll try prayer..it couldn't hurt. I probably should have done that last night when I was so freaked out.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Didn't I tell you countless times that it was a squirrel or some type of animal?
yes, but I was thinking something along the lines of squirrel size and I knew there was no way a squirrel could fit up there, and there's nothing to eat up there.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,067,299 times
Yes, I am serious as a heart attack. In my case demons were invited via ouija board. (Believe it or not - I don't care.)

Old 03-26-2016, 08:45 PM

4,570 posts, read 5,681,797 times
Mice or squirrels may move into th basement or attic and never make it into the primary living area. If your kitchen is on the floor where the dog hangs out, mice may avoid that floor, but still hang out in elsewhere.

Squirrels in particular like living in attics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal