Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:02 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times

Advertisements

I can think of ten or fifteen different areas that differ culturally, geographically, historically, and ecologically within a few hundred miles of the town I live in. Ditto with the many other places I've lived in in five different states. It has nothing to do with where state or county borders are drawn; the notion of a state is an artificial construct imposed on a living, breathing reality.

Think of it this way: what happened to the mental boundaries the settlers had in the early 19th century? And did their mental boundaries erase the understanding of the land that the native American residents had for centuries before? Of course not. Reactions to crossing a state boundary have to do with expectations, not some paranormal reality people are tapping into.

Here in northeastern Illinois, we have the Chicago suburbs, and there are great differences between and even within the suburbs. There's the Fox Valley just west of where I live, and up north the lake country at the southern edge of the Kettle Moraine region where the glaciers stopped and dropped their debris, creating a country of hills. Further west, there's the farmland on the rich loess left by the glaciation; then there's the lake areas north of Chicago. Eventually, you get to the Mississippi River valley, which is a whole other kettle of fish. They all have different feelings, or spirits if you will. But none of this has to do with where the feds or Illinois politicos have decided to draw their boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I heard a theory once but can't find anything about this online. Someone who has done a lot of studying of ancient cultures and all kinds of things I know little to nothing about, said all cities are built on different rocks / crystals that give off unique energies. She said that's why you can go to New York city and find an almost frenetic pace, but go to upper state New York and find a slower, calmer pace. People who don't have personalities that match up well with the energy in the place they are, feel uncomfortable, agitated and out of place, whether it's Las Vegas or Sedona.

Not sure I buy that, but found it interesting and thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 04-21-2016, 10:49 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I heard a theory once but can't find anything about this online. Someone who has done a lot of studying of ancient cultures and all kinds of things I know little to nothing about, said all cities are built on different rocks / crystals that give off unique energies. She said that's why you can go to New York city and find an almost frenetic pace, but go to upper state New York and find a slower, calmer pace. People who don't have personalities that match up well with the energy in the place they are, feel uncomfortable, agitated and out of place, whether it's Las Vegas or Sedona.

Not sure I buy that, but found it interesting and thought I'd throw it out there.
Rocks aside, I agree with that. I need quiet and solitude. Too many people, too much traffic, too many buildings, and I have to get out. I don't function at all well in that environment.

I've never felt a vibe about an entire state. For me, it's all about terrain, traffic, weather, buildings, people, food.

Old 04-22-2016, 07:05 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I once did a 2-1/2 month, 18,000 mile summer road trip and hit 44 states. There was never any kind of feeling when crossing state lines, it was just another mile on the odometer. It was kind of fun to stand at 4 Corners, though, with my feet in Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico at the same time.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:55 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
You would never have lasted in my job. Want different vibes, go from Laos to Turkey, then back to Cambodia and over to Thailand.

As for the US, the only strange vibes I get are when I find myself in a neighborhood or area of a large city where I remove the handgun and place it on the seat rather than keep it in the holster.

If you really have a spirits' problem, might try and different brand. I have friends who say Scotch makes you feel strange so they switched to Vodka or Bourbon.
Only you, 5F, could post that past in this thread

MSR

Old 04-22-2016, 08:59 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am an empath. Good observation.
Me, too. Different areas just feel different. I could be the passenger, with my eyes closed, and know when I've physically entered city or county boundaries for some places.

MSR

Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
We spent one night in Mississippi and I have never been so uncomfortable. I try my best to never have to sleep in Mississippi again.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:05 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,849,616 times
When I cross the CA/NV state line at Primm I feel energy starting to build. When I see the Las Vegas skyline from the distance around Henderson not only has the energy escalated but my heart is pounding.

Booze. Ladies in skimpy dresses. Slot machines. Blackjack. Lights. Action.

Oh my. I LOVE LAS VEGAS.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:30 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
OP: I have moved several times, been across this country and back, up one side and down the other...and I know exactly what you're talking about.

For the most part, there's not much of a difference...just different scenery, and then you can kind of start to "feel" the different culture, (because there are different cultures all across this country even a state away), but that heavy feeling? I never had that until I moved from Florida up to Maine in 2011.

I had planned my trip out with a little bit of looseness in there so had several options for how long I was going to drive, where I would stay, etc. One day, I was in South Carolina, and decided to stop...but where I stopped was not planned in advance. I just decided that I was tired of driving and saw a billboard for a hotel x miles away. I decided that I would stop there for the night.

I am telling you, (and I even wrote about this to my friends when I was keeping a daily log of my journeys for them to read), the second I pulled in to that town in South Carolina...the heaviness was almost suffocating. There was an inescapable heavy feeling there.

This is exactly what I wrote:

"Guess where I am? I'm in Summerton, South Carolina. It's actually...how do I describe this...there's a thick, heavy feeling in the air, a depressive one. I feel like I've been transported back in time to an era that is very negative. I went in to the little town...and that feeling is there...you can almost taste it. I don't know how to describe it. Come here one day. You'll feel it."

Went to the hotel to check in, it was in there. Went to my room, it was in there. Went to walk my dogs, it was all around the hotel, behind it, and down the road to a community corn field. Got in my car to go to the store for food....it got heavier.

I had no idea of any history of this town when I pulled in. I didn't recognize the name. I simply wanted to stop driving, and the billboard led me there.

The next day, I got up and packed my things up in the car...the heaviness was still there. I got in the car, drove away, and it literally lifted as soon as I was a couple of miles down the road. I drove all day, and in to the night before stopping again.

When I got my next hotel room, I looked up information about that town. Turns out, it does have a history...and it has a very oppressive vibe to it. You literally can feel it...it's so heavy, I think anyone could feel it.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:26 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,327 times
Astrocartography sounds fascinating.I think it can be karmic I live in Australia and it's always felt terrible as far as vibes are concerned, it just never clicked, always felt wrong like im not suppose to be here.
The feeling is not present in the USA and I actually had a dream that I had very good karma and vibes in the USA,I was in a place called Idaho in the dream.Dont know anything about Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal