Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 12:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,958,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder why some people don't believe in psychic ability, at all. (I get there are hucksters out there, and fakes, and people who will take any horoscope thing and think it applies to them).
I would, if it could be scientifically proven and repeated. As was noted in another post, no one has taken Mr. Randi's money yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 01:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
I would, if it could be scientifically proven and repeated. As was noted in another post, no one has taken Mr. Randi's money yet.
What would you think, then, don if you witnessed the things I just said? Provided you believe me that I'm telling the truth as I observed it, how would you explain those things if not for psychic abilities?

So what if I told you a kid in a gym shut his eyes and shot a basket and made it, from the complete other side of the court? And then you could say oh yeah, let's see him repeat it. No, he can't repeat it on demand. But he did it earlier.

I have this freaky little dog. I take him out on hikes and adventures about once a week. No real pattern. But I started noticing that when I am thinking about doing it, and thinking about places we could go, he knows it and starts running around me all excited. He can pick up on it, and I can get him to repeat it every time. Knowing that dogs can predict brain changes of people with epilepsy and so predict their seizures, doesn't it make sense that this little freaky dog can pick up on the specific brain pattern that I'm thinking about taking him for a hike?

So why not humans? Why can't some humans pick up on thought patterns of other humans?

Old 06-09-2017, 01:07 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Contest is over...no money to be taken.

Old 06-09-2017, 02:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wonder why some people don't believe in psychic ability, at all. (I get there are hucksters out there, and fakes, and people who will take any horoscope thing and think it applies to them).

One of my kids has psychic abilities. I could make this a very very long post with the stuff he knows, but to keep it short, I'll just name a couple. One time when we were all in the car my husband was reading a book and came across the word "camouflage" and his eyes rested on the word as he thought it's kind of a weird word, and my 5 year old piped up from the back seat, "what does camouflage even mean, anyway"? A couple times when we arrived at some place he would say "oh good, Woody is here today" "or oh my teacher isn't here today, I'll have a substitute". How do you KNOW that? Approaching a school building, he could feel whether his teacher or best friend were in there. It happened often enough that I know it's true.
Whoa! What else can he do? Great stories! Is there any family history of such abilities? A grandparent? Sometimes it's hereditary. Probably more often than we think.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:44 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
Even if all these stories are true, how does this ability benefit anyone? Knowing who is or isn't at school really makes no difference. Neither does knowing someone's name or seeing they have lung problems.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:53 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Even if all these stories are true, how does this ability benefit anyone? Knowing who is or isn't at school really makes no difference. Neither does knowing someone's name or seeing they have lung problems.
You can warn people of impending danger. I met a psychic who flies with search-and-rescue teams, and helps them find lost hikers or skiers.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:02 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Quote:
Don't know. Mine didn't much of anything. I used to hear my parents come home before they did, and did it a few times with my husband. Frankly all it did was upset me. It was scary. The last time it happened, I said out loud that I was done, this needed to go away, all it did was scare me.

So far, so good.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:00 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

Quote:
Maybe to you it doesn't make any difference, but it makes a difference to me! To be able to sense a presence in the building.

And actually, I can do that with my husband. When I walk in the door, I can immediately feel whether he's in the house. I think a lot of married people can do that, too - can sense when their spouse is near.

To me your response is a little like me saying the sage bush blooms a few days before there will be a rain and you saying how does that help anything. I'm not understanding what you're asking.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,573 times
^^ Okay, fair enough, I should have clarified more. What I meant is, of what benefit is it to go to a psychic and s/he tells you things you already know? From what I've read, that is what usually happens. Or great aunt _____ comes through from the other side without any useful information, or to say she likes your new wallpaper or the house you bought Obviously, if someone receives a warning or useful information that helps them avoid problems, that is a different matter. But the vast majority of these psychic readings seem to be mundane and not very useful.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:48 AM

Well, the rule at the Battered Women's Shelter fundraiser was they couldn't give you bad news - only neutral or good news. So I'm not sure about "warnings" -

I went as a skeptic, and really just wanted to attend the event and also donate to the Shelter. I didn't really have a specific question I wanted answered. I got what I wanted - a stream of consciousness remarks that convinced me beyond a shadow of a doubt she could sense my thoughts. And it wasn't all stuff I already knew - some of it was yet to unfold. At the time I was in my first trimester of pregnancy with my first child (she didn't notice or at least didn't mention that). She said I see you have 3 sons, and there's a daughter there but I can't see her as a baby. I can't see her as a child. She's your daughter though - I don't know what to make of her. She's there when you're old. She paused and smiled at me, "I see you old". Now, I'm middle aged and I have 3 sons and no daughters. Can't wait for her to appear, whatever that means! Maybe a special DIL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal