Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We have clear trail camera pictures taken in the dead of night. BF hunters cannot capture one clear picture in the daylight!

As far as solid evidence; the groupies can't even produce an ounce of scat!
It's really hard to be startled beyond belief by something & have the presence of mind to operate a phone/camera & take a picture.

I feel it would be easier if I had been with someone else when I saw the Bird because there would be an instantaneous confirmation of "Do you see that!" Instead, my brain was trying to process something inconceivable: "I did not just see that" & despite having my phone in my hand ... I didn't use it.

In my case it took about a year for the denial to subside. I had a nice "comfy spot" in my brain that allowed me to say things like "I saw this really big owl the other night ..."

After about a year I started asking things like: "What's the biggest owl you have ever seen?" And that's when it all unraveled & I was able to say to myself: "That was no owl."

I guess that is why when it comes to Bigfoot; I'm more inclined to listen closely to stories from people who took a picture & THEN saw something in it. Or maybe a case of where the sighting was a lengthy one? (if there are such cases)But despite that "fight-or-flight" response turning everything slow-mo; these sightings occur over just seconds of real time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 01:23 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
It's really hard to be startled beyond belief by something & have the presence of mind to operate a phone/camera & take a picture.

I feel it would be easier if I had been with someone else when I saw the Bird because there would be an instantaneous confirmation of "Do you see that!" Instead, my brain was trying to process something inconceivable: "I did not just see that" & despite having my phone in my hand ... I didn't use it.

In my case it took about a year for the denial to subside. I had a nice "comfy spot" in my brain that allowed me to say things like "I saw this really big owl the other night ..."

After about a year I started asking things like: "What's the biggest owl you have ever seen?" And that's when it all unraveled & I was able to say to myself: "That was no owl."

I guess that is why when it comes to Bigfoot; I'm more inclined to listen closely to stories from people who took a picture & THEN saw something in it. Or maybe a case of where the sighting was a lengthy one? (if there are such cases)But despite that "fight-or-flight" response turning everything slow-mo; these sightings occur over just seconds of real time.
I can buy that you were astonished and you forgot to get a picture. But here is the problem; right now about 2/3rds of Americans own some form of smartphone according to Google. You name it and there is a picture of it on Reddit, YouTube or someplace else. We have about 200,000,000 smartphones on almost everybody all the time. Then we have surveillance cameras and trail cameras and road cameras and then drones with cameras; you stop to do your business behind a bush and somebody will probably post the picture on YouTube! There are fewer places to hide everyday; except in the depths of the oceans.

I am not familiar with your 'Bird' sighting. I have had a turkey buzzard fly five feet over my head and I thought that was a gigantic bird - it looked like a Pterodactyl that close. My wife and I did spot a mountain lion in our State that has no mountain lions. I was basically told to lay off the suds when I reported it (I don't drink). But I could see their point that they never found one dead one on the side of any of our roads. About eight years later a woman hit one with a car about 150 miles from where we spotted the lion; so it kind of confirmed that it was possible.

You need hard evidence and that is what BF lacks!

Old 02-20-2018, 10:11 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,709,414 times
A blurry picture of a bear taken by an excited teenager with a three year old smartphone.

Truly groundbreaking stuff...

Old 02-20-2018, 11:15 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I can buy that you were astonished and you forgot to get a picture. But here is the problem; right now about 2/3rds of Americans own some form of smartphone according to Google. You name it and there is a picture of it on Reddit, YouTube or someplace else. We have about 200,000,000 smartphones on almost everybody all the time. Then we have surveillance cameras and trail cameras and road cameras and then drones with cameras; you stop to do your business behind a bush and somebody will probably post the picture on YouTube! There are fewer places to hide everyday; except in the depths of the oceans.

I am not familiar with your 'Bird' sighting. I have had a turkey buzzard fly five feet over my head and I thought that was a gigantic bird - it looked like a Pterodactyl that close. My wife and I did spot a mountain lion in our State that has no mountain lions. I was basically told to lay off the suds when I reported it (I don't drink). But I could see their point that they never found one dead one on the side of any of our roads. About eight years later a woman hit one with a car about 150 miles from where we spotted the lion; so it kind of confirmed that it was possible.

You need hard evidence and that is what BF lacks!
Turkey vultures are big. I once saw a bald eagle up close at an animal rescue. It would never fly again. His handler was very protective of him and the curious. That beak and those talons could have done some serious damage. When the lookers moved on, I got to put on a glove and got to feed him a meat scrap. I was 14 and scared. The beastie was stronger than I was.

Old 02-21-2018, 03:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,158,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Turkey vultures are big. I once saw a bald eagle up close at an animal rescue. It would never fly again. His handler was very protective of him and the curious. That beak and those talons could have done some serious damage. When the lookers moved on, I got to put on a glove and got to feed him a meat scrap. I was 14 and scared. The beastie was stronger than I was.
You get up close to some of these large birds and they are very impressive! Most of the time we spend looking at them they are hundreds of feet away and just circling looking for the next meal.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
You can't get video of Bigfoot outside the Patterson video that isn't all blurry after all these years?

Old 02-21-2018, 09:21 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
You can't get video of Bigfoot outside the Patterson video that isn't all blurry after all these years?
Patterson was a film maybe shot at 18 frames/second viewed at 16 FPS.
NTSC video in North America and Japan uses 29.97 fps. Does that enhance or degrade the image?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Patterson was a film maybe shot at 18 frames/second viewed at 16 FPS.
NTSC video in North America and Japan uses 29.97 fps. Does that enhance or degrade the image?
NTSC is analog video. Most people now use digital, so the resolution of the digital sensor and the frame rate determine clarity. My digital cameras shoot 4K resolution at 30FPS. Heck, my phone even shoots 4K video at 30FPS.

Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,533,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
NTSC is analog video. Most people now use digital, so the resolution of the digital sensor and the frame rate determine clarity. My digital cameras shoot 4K resolution at 30FPS. Heck, my phone even shoots 4K video at 30FPS.
Yes, but does it make film to video better or worse. That bigfoot is probably dead by now anyway?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:43 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,885,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Yes, but does it make film to video better or worse. That bigfoot is probably dead by now anyway?
Okay, I apologize. You're talking about loss with film to video. I'm talking about straight digital video. I'm still on that bear video shot with the camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal