Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 11:03 PM

6,952 posts, read 6,877,619 times

Advertisements

Today, I really dont feel like taking a whole lot of stick from the science/space forum members, so I post it here for discussion. We have had threads on other strange things on Mars, so to me, this looks like steam or smoke rising from the ground. In my mind, the 'smoke' continues after the top of the rock so I do not see it as the separation of a large rock and a small rock.

Currently, I cannot see anything else when I look at this, so maybe someone can suggest what it might actually be.

As you can see, there are 2 dark rocks in the background. The one on the left at its right hand end appears to have a white streak going diagonally up to the right.
Enlarged greatly, it looks like this:

NASA originals here
(details)
(image left)
(image right)

Other images of the rock in question
(Right Navcam camera)
(Left Navcam camera)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Today, I really dont feel like taking a whole lot of stick from the science/space forum members, so I post it here for discussion. We have had threads on other strange things on Mars, so to me, this looks like steam or smoke rising from the ground. In my mind, the 'smoke' continues after the top of the rock so I do not see it as the separation of a large rock and a small rock.

Currently, I cannot see anything else when I look at this, so maybe someone can suggest what it might actually be.

As you can see, there are 2 dark rocks in the background. The one on the left at its right hand end appears to have a white streak going diagonally up to the right.
Enlarged greatly, it looks like this:

NASA originals here
(details)
(image left)
(image right)

Other images of the rock in question
(Right Navcam camera)
(Left Navcam camera)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8lfJ0c7WQ8

Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 PM

12,988 posts, read 9,510,269 times
It's hard to tell. When it's blown up, it's so grainy or pixelated you can't really tell what you're seeing. The original pictures seem to show that whatever it is is quite small, so I don't think it's a dust devil. Steam vent is as good as anything. You'd have to have a much closer up image to tell much. Things that look suspicious in long distant or enlarged photos tend to look like something entirely different when you get a truly detailed picture.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:37 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
It's really not clear to make any conclusions, but best guess is:
It's not really a "white streak". The entire photo is full of light and dark, based on the angle of the rock and sand surface - some of which is catching the light of the sun, some of which is in the shadow. You are simply seeing a natural jutting out of the rock that catches the light of the sun. Notice it's slightly darker on the bottom of the "streak" which is consistent with the rest of the photo and what would be the angle of the suns rays.

Old 09-06-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Notice it's slightly darker on the bottom of the "streak" which is consistent with the rest of the photo and what would be the angle of the suns rays.
However, it is also consistent with the smoke in partial shadow or the smoke being a darker color and looking whiter as it rises as well.

Is it unlikely there is smoke on Mars? Yes, of course. Is it more likely it is a natural feature of the landscape? Yes, of course.

But you still have many people who believe there is a huge conspiracy going on, where NASA and the government are not being straight with us over many things. Organizations have to earn trust and many people would say both have not demonstrated that.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:28 AM

There are a few different examples of 'something' coming out of rocks on Mars.

I realise these are physically small examples and I dont know why they would be. I can only think
a) these are natural rock/ground features and not smoke/steam at all.
b) these are some kind of gas/steam coming out of the Martian ground
c) there is steam/vapour coming from the rock when they heat up under the sunlight.

Anyway, here you go...

Mars from Spirit Sol 1039 official links and cuts from them
(Left navcam camera)

Left Navcam (link above)

(Right navcam camera)

Right Navcam (link above)

Last edited by ocpaul20; 09-06-2019 at 04:42 AM..

Old 09-06-2019, 05:50 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
However, it is also consistent with the smoke in partial shadow or the smoke being a darker color and looking whiter as it rises as well.

Is it unlikely there is smoke on Mars? Yes, of course. Is it more likely it is a natural feature of the landscape? Yes, of course.

But you still have many people who believe there is a huge conspiracy going on, where NASA and the government are not being straight with us over many things. Organizations have to earn trust and many people would say both have not demonstrated that.
Not sure what you mean about "smoke". Dude it's like the "human face on mars" rock from a few years back that everyone made a big deal over. Turns out it was a trick of light and shadow. From another angle it looked totally different.
https://www.space.com/17191-face-on-mars.html

I am sure conspiracy theories do exist in regards to NASA, etc. but it's an extreme element of society that, because of blogs and social media, have a voice...just like other extremists views (fortunately this one is less harmful and somewhat more entertaining). .

Old 09-06-2019, 07:59 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
It's pretty obviously one of Marvin's Insta-Martians about to step out from behind that rock.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S
It's pretty obviously one of Marvin's Insta-Martians about to step out from behind that rock.
So glad you finally turned up !

Now, offer an opinion as to what this shows.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:09 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
So glad you finally turned up !

Now, offer an opinion as to what this shows.
I gave you an opinion but you ignored it. Dust devils are not all the same size or shape. They can appear resembling smoke.

What are you looking for; little green men burning rocks? You want to steer this in the one direction of 'unexplainable' and you want to overlook reasonable explanations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal