Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 10:34 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times

Advertisements

I’m going to try an experiment. I think we should try having one Bigfoot thread. Instead of numerous Bigfoot threads. Going through page after page after page for about 10 pages often the Bigfoot threads are numerous. Almost 1/3 of the page.

There’s way more to this subject matter of unsolved mysteries and paranormal than Bigfoot. And I think we should start moving into those things.

I am asking for opinions, because I have been told that the fact that it seems that it’s all Bigfoot all the time around here, other people are put off and don’t want to post things.

For those of you who think Bigfoot deserves it’s own forum, you can contact the super mods and see what they say. As far as I know they have put a moratorium on new fora.

And I’m going to say one thing about the mudslinging that I’m seeing going on here. Nobody, but nobody, is allowed to call people stupid. The reverse of that is true. Just because you don’t like something that’s being said doesn’t mean they are calling you stupid. I must admit I have been trying to be very patient. My patience is running out.

If you can’t discuss things without throwing stupid and dumb and other workaround words around then this is not the forum for you. If you can’t come here and discuss things rationally and take criticism without “they say we’re stupid”, this is not the forum for you. All I’m asking is for people to be RESPECTFUL of each other. Members who cannot be respectful of each other won’t be posting here forever.

That doesn’t mean we cannot have a discourse on the subject matter. A simple disagreement about whether or not something is real or fake is not calling anyone stupid. Am I making myself clear? Just like the believers are allowed to believe, the unbelievers are allowed to state their beliefs and yes, call posters out on videos they think are fake. This is why this is called a discussion forum. Because we discuss things. And we don’t go around calling people stupid or falsely saying that the other people are calling you stupid, because that’s not what’s happening.

I’d really appreciate some feedback, but I have to tell you my decision is pretty firm here. And if it doesn’t work, did it doesn’t work. And will try something else. All I know is this can’t go on.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:47 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Personally I think it is a great idea! Take the one thread they have running on the snapped trees and how, when they do not make points, they throw in any mention of their favorite creature. The believers feel that if they don't say Big Foot or Dogman 100 times a day they will lose followers.

I can picture where all of this takes a toll on a particular moderator! Do what makes it easiest for you.

Last edited by fisheye; 10-28-2020 at 12:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 12:00 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
I think it would be a horrible idea. Yes they are all about BF but many many different types of stories. It would turn the subject into one big blob IMHO.

I do agree we need a better variety of subject but we have what we have because that is who visits the site at the moment.

Old 10-28-2020, 03:50 PM

5,675 posts, read 5,887,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
I think it would be a horrible idea. Yes they are all about BF but many many different types of stories. It would turn the subject into one big blob IMHO.

I do agree we need a better variety of subject but we have what we have because that is who visits the site at the moment.
I agree, leave it alone.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:14 PM

6,957 posts, read 6,880,495 times
As an example, I have done numerous searches for different subjects, looking for links to articles etc, and the search engine is just not good enough to pull out specifics. If it highlights a thread which contains that search phrase, then it is no good because you have to go through the whole thread - which could be a long one.

So, what I am saying is that if you have one thread with all the BF stuff in it, then it will make it almost impossible to find anything ever again in that thread. I agree it would make things tidy and neat, but the forum is not designed to have large threads and people do not have time to go through a whole long thread to see whether there is a previous post saying the same thing you want to say. That just leads to duplication and time wasting.

If you want people to post meaningful comments, they HAVE to know what has been said before and a long thread is not going to be read.

We need a new design of forum/discussion software but that is not going to happen anytime soon. So, maybe we try the suggestion of one BF thread for a while, however I can see some problems with duplication and repeated discussions.

I do agree we need some more interesting and varied topics, but that is all our responsibility to start new threads on stuff which we think people may be interested in commenting on.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:37 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,516,147 times
I don't really see any problem with the way it is now. If it was printed matter, I could understand trying to save paper, ink, and money. But it's just electrons - same price no matter how many are used.

By merging them we would lose continuity, and it would be even harder than it is now to figure out what was going on. And sometimes the flow is hilarious.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:54 PM

50 posts, read 36,798 times
Thumbs up  

Ya that might be true but I dont see It being too much of an issue,if it is we can always ask her if we can go back to classic ways of posting about it..... She is just trying to make it neater looking.....

Really I dont like sites that do not want ppl to use search/reply to older threads..... They want a new thread ON THE SAME TOPIC started which is silly and looks sloppy.....

Tallysmom does a good job here I think and this thread shows that...

Muchos gracious Tallysmom for doing such a good job

Last edited by rsomeplace; 10-28-2020 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 12:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
I would love to see some new threads! I encourage anyone who wants to post here to do so, I like talking about a wide variety of 'unexplained and mysterious' topics.

Im not sure if Tallysman can do this, but maybe create a few 'sub forums', (kind of like some of the other boards do, like religion, they have several sub forums, broken down by sects), maybe have a dedicated bigfoot sub forum, one for UFOs, one for ghosts/paranormal...and then the main board could be used for everything else, (that doesnt fit).

Old 10-29-2020, 12:17 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
I must admit that i have kind of lost interest in this part of the site because bigfoot has become so popular.

Last edited by C24L; 10-29-2020 at 12:40 AM..

Old 10-29-2020, 12:43 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I would love to see some new threads! I encourage anyone who wants to post here to do so, I like talking about a wide variety of 'unexplained and mysterious' topics.

Im not sure if Tallysman can do this, but maybe create a few 'sub forums', (kind of like some of the other boards do, like religion, they have several sub forums, broken down by sects), maybe have a dedicated bigfoot sub forum, one for UFOs, one for ghosts/paranormal...and then the main board could be used for everything else, (that doesnt fit).
I am not permitted to add sub forums. And, I don’t have ability to add sub forums. Sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal