Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 07:18 PM

6,931 posts, read 6,865,664 times

Advertisements

I just wonder what people want when they are interested in and chase the paranormal?

Is it the chase and the excitement of the mysterious and the unexplained? Or is it perhaps a wanting to see what is beyond what others can see? Maybe knowing there is more out there than we can perceive with our 'normal' senses and a hoping to be like the psychics and mediums and share in that unknown?

Not everyone who has stuff going on in their head are unstable or religiously 'special'. In spite of what the medical folk maintain, there ARE people who are perfectly well balanced and still claim to hear and see things which others cannot.

I suppose it is learning a new set of skills because if you do not learn how to turn off the ability, then there is no privacy, no respite from the constant bombardment from your senses. The folks who grow up with these abilities probably get used to it and naturally get some desensitization to it all, but there are some who suddenly get sensitized through some injury or illness. I am sure there are many people in mental hospitals who are too open to these 'extra' senses and that openness has tipped them over the edge to a point where they cannot cope with it all.

I have chased the paranormal for around 30 years and I am only now asking myself why I would want to see and hear what is going on in the unseen realms. I think I would be comfortable hearing voices in my head and sensing energy close by but I am not sure I would be comfortable with seeing energy beings sharing my space with me ALL THE TIME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 09:12 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,677,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I just wonder what people want when they are interested in and chase the paranormal?

Is it the chase and the excitement of the mysterious and the unexplained? Or is it perhaps a wanting to see what is beyond what others can see? Maybe knowing there is more out there than we can perceive with our 'normal' senses and a hoping to be like the psychics and mediums and share in that unknown?

Not everyone who has stuff going on in their head are unstable or religiously 'special'. In spite of what the medical folk maintain, there ARE people who are perfectly well balanced and still claim to hear and see things which others cannot.

I suppose it is learning a new set of skills because if you do not learn how to turn off the ability, then there is no privacy, no respite from the constant bombardment from your senses. The folks who grow up with these abilities probably get used to it and naturally get some desensitization to it all, but there are some who suddenly get sensitized through some injury or illness. I am sure there are many people in mental hospitals who are too open to these 'extra' senses and that openness has tipped them over the edge to a point where they cannot cope with it all.

I have chased the paranormal for around 30 years and I am only now asking myself why I would want to see and hear what is going on in the unseen realms. I think I would be comfortable hearing voices in my head and sensing energy close by but I am not sure I would be comfortable with seeing energy beings sharing my space with me ALL THE TIME.
In the 30 years you have been chasing the paranormal have you personally gained any special powers of any kind?

I read everything I could find in the 80s and early 90s. I had over 100 books total on many paranormal subjects. Then we got internet in the early 90s so that give me a lot more info than before. As for any real powers I could never do anything. I learned how to do many of the parlor tricks and could convince most people I was psychic but that was it.

Old 12-25-2022, 03:45 AM

855 posts, read 623,929 times
Quote:
I agree. While I would love to see at least one full-body apparition right now,
I don't think I'd want it to become a routine thing.

Last time I saw something like that was when I was probably around
eleven years old (I think I shared about that here before, about a dark
cloud-thingie hovering over my bed). As an adult, I've only picked up on
the more peripheral hints of paranormal activity.

And maybe that should be enough for me. I'm an introvert who loves her
solitude, and perhaps whatever spirits are around me know this and so
remain hidden. I realize that, theoretically, my home would probably look
like Grand Central Station if all spirits coming through here were actually
visible, and that would likely be sensory overload for me. I don't like
crowds, lol.

Synchronicity, however... oh boy. I seem to pick up on that constantly, a
lot of which seems to suggest a connection of some kind between a now-
deceased individual (whom I have never met in this life, but probably
knew in another one) and me. Long story. The point is, I prefer the more
subtle forms of paranormal (?) activity like that. They're akin to
little notes left here and there for me to open up and read, some which,
subtle as they may be in their delivery, have still blown my mind.

-

Old 12-25-2022, 09:39 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,022,421 times
From a very young age, I was interested in the paranormal, but I only began to seriously work on developing my intuitive abilities 30 years ago, when I was around 40 years of age. If I were a teacher of these things, the very first thing I would teach would be how to shield and protect oneself from unwanted energies. If my first teachers had emphasized that, or actually even mentioned it at all, I would have had a much easier path. Luckily, I am fairly analytical and autodidactic, so each time I realized a problem was brewing, I was able to ferret out what the issue was and put methods in place to resolve it, but there were times when I was startled or frightened nearly out of my wits.

I remember that for several nights after I had done a fair amount of development, I was alone in the house, as my DH was away on a business trip. I was trying to sleep, but kept hearing an unintelligible babble of voices from next to my bed. I was so freaked out I just stayed awake all night. After some research, I was able to figure out that since I now had acquired the energetic signature of one who is able to connect with those who had passed, everyone in the vicinity, as well as my deceased friends and relatives, was clamoring for a chat. So that’s how I learned about Gatekeeper Guides and how to be commanding when claiming my psychic space.

I understand what you say about not being comfortable having all these intrusive energies around you all the time, but with proper protocols, that doesn’t have to happen. For me, my Gatekeeper Guide keeps everyone at bay unless and until I sit down to do my work, and then I have a process to let these energies know they may come in, one at a time, and connect with me. I do have at least four energy beings who are with me all the time. You get accustomed to it. After a while, it’s no different really than sitting in a room with a few friends and having them direct comments at you, or at the TV or whatever. The worst part for me is when I’m out in public and one of them says something hilarious and I crack up.

A very real and permanent hazard of this undertaking, though, is something that I have rarely heard mentioned. One of my early psychic development teachers once said, “This will be the bloodiest path you ever walked.” I was taking the course for fun and to get a sense of what it would be like to actually be psychic. (When you ask why people seek this, I think in my head, it was like a banner ad from the back of a 1950s comic book: “Have fun! Amaze your family and friends! Talk to angels and dead people! Get the best parking spots!”)

But it turns out my teacher was right. If you develop these gifts to their fullest extent, people will begin to drop away. Some are frightened because they think you know their secrets (a closeted niece and the brother in law who was cheating on my sister were, in retrospect, easy to spot, not because I had any psychic dirt on them, but because they invariably turned pale and made excuses to leave the room when they saw me) or they think you’re now in league with the devil, or you don’t want to go out and party with them any more so you’re no fun. The path my teacher spoke of, for me, was littered with dead relationships.

A well known psychic I consulted on this truly painful issue told me, “My dear, choosing this way is like being transported into one of those paintings where the perspective shows a path narrowing as it proceeds into the distance. The further you go along this path, the narrower it becomes, and not many will be able to walk this narrow path alongside you.” There have been countless blessings along this path, but there has also been a price.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:07 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,677,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
From a very young age, I was interested in the paranormal, but I only began to seriously work on developing my intuitive abilities 30 years ago, when I was around 40 years of age. If I were a teacher of these things, the very first thing I would teach would be how to shield and protect oneself from unwanted energies. If my first teachers had emphasized that, or actually even mentioned it at all, I would have had a much easier path. Luckily, I am fairly analytical and autodidactic, so each time I realized a problem was brewing, I was able to ferret out what the issue was and put methods in place to resolve it, but there were times when I was startled or frightened nearly out of my wits.

I remember that for several nights after I had done a fair amount of development, I was alone in the house, as my DH was away on a business trip. I was trying to sleep, but kept hearing an unintelligible babble of voices from next to my bed. I was so freaked out I just stayed awake all night. After some research, I was able to figure out that since I now had acquired the energetic signature of one who is able to connect with those who had passed, everyone in the vicinity, as well as my deceased friends and relatives, was clamoring for a chat. So that’s how I learned about Gatekeeper Guides and how to be commanding when claiming my psychic space.

I understand what you say about not being comfortable having all these intrusive energies around you all the time, but with proper protocols, that doesn’t have to happen. For me, my Gatekeeper Guide keeps everyone at bay unless and until I sit down to do my work, and then I have a process to let these energies know they may come in, one at a time, and connect with me. I do have at least four energy beings who are with me all the time. You get accustomed to it. After a while, it’s no different really than sitting in a room with a few friends and having them direct comments at you, or at the TV or whatever. The worst part for me is when I’m out in public and one of them says something hilarious and I crack up.

A very real and permanent hazard of this undertaking, though, is something that I have rarely heard mentioned. One of my early psychic development teachers once said, “This will be the bloodiest path you ever walked.” I was taking the course for fun and to get a sense of what it would be like to actually be psychic. (When you ask why people seek this, I think in my head, it was like a banner ad from the back of a 1950s comic book: “Have fun! Amaze your family and friends! Talk to angels and dead people! Get the best parking spots!”)

But it turns out my teacher was right. If you develop these gifts to their fullest extent, people will begin to drop away. Some are frightened because they think you know their secrets (a closeted niece and the brother in law who was cheating on my sister were, in retrospect, easy to spot, not because I had any psychic dirt on them, but because they invariably turned pale and made excuses to leave the room when they saw me) or they think you’re now in league with the devil, or you don’t want to go out and party with them any more so you’re no fun. The path my teacher spoke of, for me, was littered with dead relationships.

A well known psychic I consulted on this truly painful issue told me, “My dear, choosing this way is like being transported into one of those paintings where the perspective shows a path narrowing as it proceeds into the distance. The further you go along this path, the narrower it becomes, and not many will be able to walk this narrow path alongside you.” There have been countless blessings along this path, but there has also been a price.
Interesting to say the least. Not sure I would give up the real world for the ability to speak with the dead. What do you belive to be the main pros and cons of your choice?

Old 12-25-2022, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post

Excellent post and I agree with everything you have said.
In my previous life in the West, I could nearly always find people who were willing to discuss stuff with me. It wasn't always easy to find this kind of person but at least they were there if you looked hard enough. Here however, there is no possibility of that and I miss it to a certain extent. So I think it is a lonely road to walk and one which you cannot really go back to the 'old you'. It is like a red-pill event but I assume I agreed to that before I came in for this Earth School class. Not many people remember what they agreed to unfortunately, so the whole thing is just one big wild ride.

I have got more intuitive perhaps as time has gone on, but nothing major like suddenly seeing and hearing stuff. However, I do believe that we are properly prepared for what will come in our life and I take great delight in looking at how one thing has led to the next which led to the next in an amazingly perfectly ordered way. I think the secret is to be continuously grateful for each identified benefit, however seemingly small it might be.

I look at my life and how I have got to the place I am currently and it just amazes me how things just fell into place as long as I did not try to push too hard for something I (human) wanted (as opposed to what I spirit wanted).

So, to others who walk the solitary path, there is brotherhood in knowing there are others out there too.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:04 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:

I personally never sought the paranormal myself at all ever, but I've wondered what makes people want to pursue all that. So I ask you YOUR same question of what made you interested in it since you said you've been chasing the paranormal for 30 yrs?

Old 12-27-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I personally never sought the paranormal myself at all ever, but I've wondered what makes people want to pursue all that. So I ask you YOUR same question of what made you interested in it since you said you've been chasing the paranormal for 30 yrs?
For me, it was a co-worker who was a somewhat budding medium and the mystery and interest that generated in a twenty-something year old. I was also looking for answers to questions which orthodox religion could not give me, so I became a Spiritualist at the same time too. At least some of the answers which the spirits gave were more detailed and if they matched up with other similar answers, then there were obviously some people who believed much the same thing.

I still think orthodox religions should have more answers than they do have, but maybe that is a discussion for the religion forum.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:16 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
For me, it was a co-worker who was a somewhat budding medium and the mystery and interest that generated in a twenty-something year old. I was also looking for answers to questions which orthodox religion could not give me, so I became a Spiritualist at the same time too. At least some of the answers which the spirits gave were more detailed and if they matched up with other similar answers, then there were obviously some people who believed much the same thing.

I still think orthodox religions should have more answers than they do have, but maybe that is a discussion for the religion forum.

I see, thanks for answering. I was raised in church (not orthodox) since I was a toddler. At the very start, I went to a Catholic church, but pretty much all of my life afterward, apostolic. I was just raised never to dabble in the paranormal. I never was interested in the least, oujia boards, etc. All that stuff gives me the creeps.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:01 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I see, thanks for answering. I was raised in church (not orthodox) since I was a toddler. At the very start, I went to a Catholic church, but pretty much all of my life afterward, apostolic. I was just raised never to dabble in the paranormal. I never was interested in the least, oujia boards, etc. All that stuff gives me the creeps.
I was in eighth grade when The Exorcist came out. And of course everybody knew somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody who would been possessed, or exercised, or saw an exorcism, or something. Way more probably “or something.”

It was a hot topic in my United Methodist youth fellowship program. And that’s when my minister expounded his belief that if you don’t go messing around in things you shouldn’t go messing around with, this stuff doesn’t end up in your doorway.

And, we now know that the young man that The Exorcist is based on apparently messed around a lot with an Ouija board.

I think, religiously dogma speaking wise, that was the idea across the board. Don’t mess with it, and it will leave you alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal