Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times

Advertisements

I for one am happy for the young couple. I wish them all the best and success in their marriage.

As for all the hoopla surrounding it, I rather see that than hearing horrible news about the dire economy, horrors of the NHS and what not. Sometimes its nice to hear good news.

BTW if Prince Harry was getting married, NOW that would be a proper p!@# up down the pub!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 02:22 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,139,161 times
Today's Washington Post Express had the following full-color front page headline:

"An Heir of Excitement - Prince William's Engagement to Kate Middleton gives weary Britons reason to be cheerful"

I'm sorry but I broke out laughing... maybe elderly white women in the UK will enjoy the spectacle and wallow in the blue blooded history... but good grief how backward it seems. I guess it's about the equivalent of the ongoing Palin cultural crush in the US... albeit people of a higher quality.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I just hope we won't be picking the tab for the "special" event... Young man wishes to marry young woman.... Good for them but why exactly is this news ? I wish them all the best as I would any other person embarking into marriage. Nothing less and nothing more. He will never be "my" king.

Considering policemen's jobs are going left , right and centre, I shall assume the happy couple and their delighted families shall be picking the bill for private security so that real police needs such as crime can be addressed ? I know when the Queen came to visit Oxford for only a few hours it costs the county a lot so I suppose Mr Cameron will insist on the Royal Family being in "it" together with all of us in the UK and taking the financial brunt of the event. Time for "Big society" surely to begin from the very top of the tree.

I personally do not look forward to another media circus as with all other Royal Weddings/Events
Suspect it is pretty obvious to most who will be picking up the tab,don't you?
But then the royal household appear to be in difficult times,what with the queen asking for assistance from the poor fund to help in paying heating costs. Can't blame her for trying it on i suspose but then neither can you blame her subjects from attempting their own little cons.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I for one am happy for the young couple. I wish them all the best and success in their marriage.

As for all the hoopla surrounding it, I rather see that than hearing horrible news about the dire economy, horrors of the NHS and what not. Sometimes its nice to hear good news.

BTW if Prince Harry was getting married, NOW that would be a proper p!@# up down the pub!
You reckon we'd all get an invite then,from this man of the people.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The wedding announcement has been all over the media here. I'm curious. does William have a job ? Believe he was in the military at one time.
Search and rescue helicopters,if i'm not mistaken.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The wedding announcement has been all over the media here. I'm curious. does William have a job ? Believe he was in the military at one time.
He is still in the RAF, a co-pilot on a search and rescue helicopter.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:44 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
You reckon we'd all get an invite then,from this man of the people.
Maybe! The way he has acted in recent years, Harry is the one who could throw a party!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:41 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,956,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
He is still in the RAF, a co-pilot on a search and rescue helicopter.

He was also in the Household cavalry, but transfered to the Airforce.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,656,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Today's Washington Post Express had the following full-color front page headline:

"An Heir of Excitement - Prince William's Engagement to Kate Middleton gives weary Britons reason to be cheerful"

I'm sorry but I broke out laughing... maybe elderly white women in the UK will enjoy the spectacle and wallow in the blue blooded history... but good grief how backward it seems. I guess it's about the equivalent of the ongoing Palin cultural crush in the US... albeit people of a higher quality.
Millions of people won't be that bothered but there'll be millions who will take an interest. They are two quite likeable people, Kate is one of the first from an everyday, average background to marry into the Royal Family, having some good news always makes a welcome change, particularly at the moment, and we'll supposedly get a public holiday. Big royal events always generate more interest at the time than you'd have thought beforehand. There's no need for blanket media coverage though, particularly in foreign countries. I would hate to be a modern royal.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Millions of people won't be that bothered but there'll be millions who will take an interest. They are two quite likeable people, Kate is one of the first from an everyday, average background to marry into the Royal Family, having some good news always makes a welcome change, particularly at the moment, and we'll supposedly get a public holiday. Big royal events always generate more interest at the time than you'd have thought beforehand. There's no need for blanket media coverage though, particularly in foreign countries. I would hate to be a modern royal.
Hardly ... educated at Marlborough and her parents are seriously rich (although self-made).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom