Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 34,020 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! So I'm graduating this year, and have been thinking a lot about going to school in England. I found this school that offers American degrees right in the heart of London, called Regent's American School (formerly British American School). There are 4 schools or so that are part of it, so it would be a mix of many different cultures. But when I just did some research on it, I discovered that many of the Americans that went there had a problem with the British students. Apparently, the British students are really mean to the Americans. The more I searched things on London, the more I saw American hate spewing from the Brits.

I'm really dissapointed, because as an American, I have never heard anything bad about England, but come to find that they hate us! Is this true, or only in certain areas/schools? Would there be another school I could study at in England (doesn't have to be London) where I would be more accepted?

If it helps narrow it down at all, my grades aren't so great, I don't play any sports, but I have been in lots of clubs and such. I plan on majoring in either Communications or Public Relations.

Thanks guys, and sorry for how long and whiney this post is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:54 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,908,042 times
How many is "many" ? 1 in 2 ? 1 in 20 ? People who didn't have a problem are unlikely to post about their non-problem so you may have a biased sample. Also, how recent are the posts ? There was a lot of anti-Americanism in the Bush era, there is much less now I think.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
I wouldn't be put off by that. You will find a certain amount of anti-americanism here, but nothing aggressive. My wife spent a semester studying in London from UW Madison several years ago and really enjoyed it. Most of the anti-american comments come from stereotypes, 'deteriorating power syndrome', and a lack of understanding of America and its culture. Nothing to worry about.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:28 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
I don't know about schools but I've been living in England for years and never come across any hostility for being American.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:00 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,654,455 times
I hear American voices quite a lot in London, from tourists/students/working people, all sorts. We're used to it, but be aware that what might be normal behaviour to you might be loud, brash and too forward to some of us. Just keep your voice down in public, don't ask personal questions and you're very unlikely to have any problems. In my experience overseas students in Britain mostly spend time with other overseas students, maybe that's the problem?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 AM

591 posts, read 926,172 times
London isn't the greatest place to go to University or the like. Most of the prices are very expensive.

Id chose somewhere like Manchester or Leeds Uni, if they do your specific degree, both in the cities and never really have any hostility towards foreign students.

In London you can get that snobbery from the residents, and not many Northerners in England enjoy going down to London.

Take a week trip before you decide where you want to go and see if London is the place for you.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:05 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Wouldn't this university be full of Americans wanting to study overseas and not different cultures ?? Just a thought. I am not sure what the difference is between an American Degree and a regular BA/BSc degree but I can't imagine British people attending this collage and if other overseas students want an American degree surely they would go to a US university ?? just a thought.

But I agree with Northern Matt - Manchester ( where I am from originally ) has excellent universities with city centre halls of residence and its a very mixed (racially) city with great nightlife, history and the people are much more friendly than Londoners ( who mostly aren't from London ). I lived in London for 16 years and loved it but it can be very lonely and also very expensive. Any of the other Large cities also have great universities and you can always get cheap student train tickets to visit London.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
I'm an American (very shy, incidentally) and was treated with borderline verbal cruelty in London - and this was more than ten years ago!! FWIW.

I have to second the Northerners' (and others') suggestions to choose another English city (especially a Northern one) instead of London. Yeah, you'll still run into (often-so-goofy-/absurd-it-will-amuse-you-more-than-anything, mind you) anti-Americanism, but London was the worst in that respect, IMO.

(Pretty much off topic, but when I was an undergraduate in college I *insisted* on turning down a study abroad opportunity in Lyon because I '*had* to go to Paris.' I was so naive... Lyon is such a cool city (and arguably more 'French' than Paris (a truly international city), in the way than, say, Chicago would be more 'American' in some sense than NYC).)

But anyway - just my £.02.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
Please look into other colleges outside of London (agreed, too expensive).

Please do not give up on your dream. You are only young once. If you hate it, you can always come home and go to an American college or univeristy as a transfer student.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,139 times
I am a brit living in London have been here throughout university and since. Now 26. I spent a year in new york and have so many close american friends. I also know many americans living here in london, having transfered at college or similar for a semester here, who have made amazing friendships and integrated with brits and fallen in love and got great jobs or just done their term and gone home. Point is, they had an incredible time.

You will always hear horror stories. I hear horror stories of americans talking about brits too. There's always an empty story to scare you off. But if you're keen to be here there are only a million reasons that you'll enjoy yourself and remember it forever.

It's silly to be scared! Come join us! It's amazing here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom