Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 PM

984 posts, read 1,315,700 times

Advertisements

Is this $14,5000 after or before these huge increases?
In Canada it ranges fro $3000 to about $6000 per year. These are no real "private" universities so money doesn't get you a better education or name..very egaletarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 12:30 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
In Canada it ranges fro $3000 to about $6000 per year. These are no real "private" universities so money doesn't get you a better education or name..very egaletarian.
After.

It was something like £3000 in Wales (using Aberystwyth university). St Andrews (my uni) charges the Brits under £2000.

Americans (I) get screwed.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:52 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,287,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
After. Like Canada, the government in the UK subsidizes the tuition fees. They are cutting way back on what they pay. They have to. They are cutting everywhere they can. The net national debt here is just under 890 billion pounds. That's about 1.4 trillion CAD. Like, ouch.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
After.

It was something like £3000 in Wales (using Aberystwyth university). St Andrews (my uni) charges the Brits under £2000.

Americans (I) get screwed.
Screwed? Really? So you think that the British government should be paying for your education???? Any other bills you'd like the British people to pay on your behalf?? The tuition fees are not inflated for international students. The subsidy is simply removed. It's only logical.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:39 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,522 times
I keep hearing about how great the US universities are I can't imagine why people want to study in the UK if it costs so much ?? Maybe so the parents can tell everyone at their country club about their kid at university in London ??

Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
I keep hearing about how great the US universities are I can't imagine why people want to study in the UK if it costs so much ?? Maybe so the parents can tell everyone at their country club about their kid at university in London ??
The majority of people that want to study in the UK are from the UK. You do know you are in the UK forum right? LOL

Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,522 times
I am well aware of what forum I am in. And I am from the UK originally so I know most people who want to study in UK universities are from the UK.

I am referring to posters who say things like "Americans get screwed" and LOTS of other threads in this forum where people say they want to study in the UK.... I wouldn't want to put myself in unnecessary debt unless I lived in a country where the national language wasn't the language I wanted to study in.

When we lived in Hong Kong it made sense for friends to send their kids to the UK for university but it doesn't make a lot of sense for Americans to send their children there......

Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Screwed? Really? So you think that the British government should be paying for your education???? Any other bills you'd like the British people to pay on your behalf?? The tuition fees are not inflated for international students. The subsidy is simply removed. It's only logical.
Calm down, calm down. No, I do not expect the subsidy of the British people. However, if we really want to be tit for tat.... nah....I won't go there.

I do, however, expect to pay what the Scottish government + student pay. I poked around, spoke to some professors and university finance officers, etc. My tuition last year was £11,750. The Scottish go for free, and the rest of the UK pay £1,700. The government is not paying nearly 12 grand for the Scots or 10 for the English. I would be interested in seeing what the rates would be if the government stopped all subsidies for all students throughout the UK.

Americans and other non-EU are used as cash cows.

Now, I am still getting a better deal than I would have from Fordham.

Now, I find a bit of generational warfare. The MPs who forced this change through were educated for "free." As long as their pensions are covered.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:08 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
Calm down, calm down. No, I do not expect the subsidy of the British people. However, if we really want to be tit for tat.... nah....I won't go there.

I do, however, expect to pay what the Scottish government + student pay. I poked around, spoke to some professors and university finance officers, etc. My tuition last year was £11,750. The Scottish go for free, and the rest of the UK pay £1,700. The government is not paying nearly 12 grand for the Scots or 10 for the English. I would be interested in seeing what the rates would be if the government stopped all subsidies for all students throughout the UK.

Americans and other non-EU are used as cash cows.

Now, I am still getting a better deal than I would have from Fordham.

Now, I find a bit of generational warfare. The MPs who forced this change through were educated for "free." As long as their pensions are covered.

I graduated in 2001 and the government was contributing about £5,000 per year for my education. Taxpayers should only be supporting higher education whilst it remains a public good. The fact that students are being churned out from so called 'universities' by the tens of thousands without any real education means that this is not the case. As long as the opportunity exists for anyone capable to go to university then this policy should be supported.

The Scottish system might not charge the same, but power and budget is still devolved from Westminster. Over the next decade, that standard and teaching at Scottish universities will fall way behind the good English ones. Nobody wants to spend 3 years at an institution and then not get a job, regardless of free tuition. This is how is works in the US now - your paying aren't you?

Old 02-18-2011, 01:30 AM

1,733 posts, read 1,823,143 times
I went to uni in the UK twice, in the 80/90s and in the 00s. Looking back on it, I don't think any of the best students from either period would have attended under this new setup. They were all from hardworking menial job families or single parent households.

The nice-but-dims would not have been deterred, but the people with no history of university attendance in the families would not have made the investment.

The UK does have a problem with too many degrees awarded, and far to many useless degree subjects. (Hello media studies). But I think there should be more emphasis on restricting it by ability. I think this is going to backslide to the old setup where it is restricted by family. US-lite is not neccessarliy a good model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom