Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 06:48 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,265 times

Advertisements

It seems from this distance that only the Scots will have the utter right to pull out of the UK.
So to make it a fair go should the English have the right to vote to chuck Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales out of the UK ?
Or do Scots believe they are somehow special ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 10:58 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,887 times
No loaded or unbiased questions there then.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
It seems from this distance that only the Scots will have the utter right to pull out of the UK.
So to make it a fair go should the English have the right to vote to chuck Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales out of the UK ?
If you can believe it, nzrugby, Scotland wants independence from England, but then they want to pimp themselves out to the EU so they fight for independence, only to give up their sovereignty to Brussels. Because that makes a lot of sense right? Add insult to injury, they also want to adopt the euro as their currency, further giving up more sovereignty. This is not about Scottish independence, it's all about separating from those "English bastirds"

Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 AM

554 posts, read 736,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Your question isn't an equivalence. The independence vote is not on ejecting England out of the UK, it's on Scotland withdrawing from the UK. If you're asking whether England is constitutionally capable of withdrawing from the UK, then the answer at present is no, but only because English people have not elected a Government with that as part of their policy. If English people did elect a Government on that basis, then yes they have the same right to do so.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
If you can believe it, nzrugby, Scotland wants independence from England, but then they want to pimp themselves out to the EU so they fight for independence, only to give up their sovereignty to Brussels. Because that makes a lot of sense right? Add insult to injury, they also want to adopt the euro as their currency, further giving up more sovereignty. This is not about Scottish independence, it's all about separating from those "English bastirds"
I spent a great deal of time in the independence thread explaining what the problem is with Scotland's position within the UK, if you've read it then why do you reduce this question to some simplistic notion of nationalistic pettiness?

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
I spent a great deal of time in the independence thread explaining what the problem is with Scotland's position within the UK, if you've read it then why do you reduce this question to some simplistic notion of nationalistic pettiness?
Because that's all that it is. It's not unusual for someone in your position to come up with 20 different reasons why this is so and so. The same thing happens with climate change. One person on your side claims that CO2 is a pollutant and must be reduced, and people who believe the same thing he does do hoolahoops to come up with 20 different justifications on why CO2 is bad. It's basic psychology. The fact of the matter is, you can tell people, just like Salmond already does, why Scotland needs to be independent, but the fact of the matter is Scotland would have less autonomy in a larger EU than if you stay with the UK. You have more influence now on a country with 53M people than you will with a more planned centralization of a union with several hundred million.

Sometimes the truth is far less complicated than what it seems. Occam's razor

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,843,977 times
Who said Scots want independence!?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because that's all that it is. It's not unusual for someone in your position to come up with 20 different reasons why this is so and so. The same thing happens with climate change. One person on your side claims that CO2 is a pollutant and must be reduced, and people who believe the same thing he does do hoolahoops to come up with 20 different justifications on why CO2 is bad. It's basic psychology. The fact of the matter is, you can tell people, just like Salmond already does, why Scotland needs to be independent, but the fact of the matter is Scotland would have less autonomy in a larger EU than if you stay with the UK. You have more influence now on a country with 53M people than you will with a more planned centralization of a union with several hundred million.

Sometimes the truth is far less complicated than what it seems. Occam's razor
If you don't mind I'll regurgitate the gist of my post in the other thread.
  1. The Tory Party are unelectable in Scotland for a raft of historical reasons and ideological differences the party has with the Scottish electorate as a whole. In Westminster elections, this means Scottish voters can only vote for Labour if they wish to cast a vote for a party capable of running the UK. Agree or disagree?
  2. The Labour Party were instrumental in committing the UK to the Iraq war, creating the circumstances which led to the deaths of up to 1 million Iraqi's, no politician has faced justice over this monumental error of judgement. Yet Scottish voters (and many rUK voters) are compelled to vote Labour if they wish to have a relevant vote over which party forms a Westminster Government. There are no alternative politicial parties open to Scottish voters who are capable of forming a Westminster Government. Agree or disagree?
  3. Proportional representation in Westminster which could resolve this problem is now dead and buried for the foreseeable future after the alternative vote fiasco. Agree or disagree?

You say that we will have 'less autonomy' as part of the EU than if we remain in the UK. The two most important issues to me as an individual are:
  1. With independence we can alter corporation tax to become more competitive with the Republic of Ireland, our major competitor for foreign investment. To put this in perspective, Eire's corporation tax rate is 12.5%, Scotland's corporation tax rate is 24%. 24% makes perfect sense for the South East of England and the City of London which doesn't have problems attracting investment. It makes a lot less sense for Glasgow which has seen almost all its multinational businesses like IBM in Greenock and Dell in Glasgow close their Scottish facilities and shift their operations to Dublin. (Impossible to change under devolution)
  2. We can drastically reduce the "defence" budget and size of our armed forces, including and especially the removal of nuclear weapons. (Impossible under devolution)

There are hundreds of other proposed changes under independence from re-nationalising the railways through to benefit reform, all of which are impossible under devolution. However the two I listed above are the ones most important to me. You say that we'd enjoy less autonomy as a smaller member of the EU than as part of the UK. Apart from "losing" Maggie's EU rebate (which isn't necessarily a loss), what exactly is it that you feel we'd lose, given that they are powers we don't have anyway? If in the future we joined the Euro I agree that we wouldn't be able to set our own interest rates, but given that we can't do that anyway it's not really a loss! We would at least gain fiscal autonomy even if our monetary autonomy remained elsewhere. Give me an example of this supposed 'loss' of autonomy that you feel we'd be subject to?

Furthermore, you seem to be implying that 'someone in my position' will seek whatever justifications they can to support a foregone conclusion. I don't know how you define 'someone in my position', but I'll take a few guesses. Maybe you think that I feel some subconscious urge to storm Carlisle with my trusty claymore and start molesting the native scum? Or maybe a better Freudian explanation would be that as a child I never truly resolved my relationship with my anus, and Scottish Independence is a cause which I use to fill that childhood void? Maybe you'd care to elaborate?

Then again, while we're dealing in naff psychological assessments of each other, maybe there are actually some very powerful arguments for wanting Scottish independence which are in fact swaying me, but you're experiencing cognitive dissonance? (Look that up if you're unfamiliar, useful concept.)

Eoin

Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,870,349 times
I'm not scottish. But I only think its fair that they get to vote for their own future.

I mean, why should we who don't live in Scotland get a right to vote for them. In that case, England may vote Scotland in or vice versa when the Scots may not want that.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,916,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
If you don't mind I'll regurgitate the gist of my post in the other thread.

You say that we will have 'less autonomy' as part of the EU than if we remain in the UK. The two most important issues to me as an individual are:
  1. With independence we can alter corporation tax to become more competitive with the Republic of Ireland, our major competitor for foreign investment. To put this in perspective, Eire's corporation tax rate is 12.5%, Scotland's corporation tax rate is 24%. 24% makes perfect sense for the South East of England and the City of London which doesn't have problems attracting investment. It makes a lot less sense for Glasgow which has seen almost all its multinational businesses like IBM in Greenock and Dell in Glasgow close their Scottish facilities and shift their operations to Dublin. (Impossible to change under devolution)
  2. We can drastically reduce the "defence" budget and size of our armed forces, including and especially the removal of nuclear weapons. (Impossible under devolution)

Eoin

Eoin

I'm not going to regurgitate your whole post so let me just make a couple of observations with regard to the above.

1. The Euro zone is moving towards fiscal harmonisation which means that it is unlikely that Euro zone members will be able to compete with each other on the basis of favourable tax rates. The near collapse of the Irish economy and the bail outs in Greece and elsewhere mean that it is likely that this will be accelerated.

Now, I don't know about Dell, but I do know about IBM. IBM did not shift their Greenock operations to Dublin. IBM Greenock was mainly manufacturing for the IBM PC division. This business was sold to Lenovo. Lenovo has gradually shifted all manufacturing to China (with some in India). IBMs' Dublin operation was low skill assembly. Parts were assembled there and then shipped, semi-finished, all over the world as part of a tax planning strategy called BOP. I visited the Dublin plant about 12 years ago and there were relatively few people employed there.

2. You are correct re: the defence budget. But don't forget that defence industries employ many people in Scotland. 5000 at Faslane alone and then warship building on the Clyde and at Rosyth. There are also a great many Scots in the armed forces. What happens to them when they return home looking for jobs, houses and benefits? The savings equation is a bit more complicated than it appears in the politician's sound bites.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 11-02-2012 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom