Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:38 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,820,928 times

Advertisements

Last night there was a news report on PBS about the remaining sectarian tensions in Northern Ireland, although I did not get to watch it.
If Northern Ireland is like the rest of Europe, I would suspect that most people identifying themselves as "Catholic" or "Protestant" seldom go to church. So I don't suspect there are many arguments about the role of the papacy or the interpretation of the Bible going on in the pubs. Aren't the clergy of all denominations sick and tired of the divisions? Am I close to the truth?

Old 07-12-2012, 05:39 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,297,603 times
it's more about political division , Catholics see themselves as Irish while the Protestant majority identify with Britain , the marches cause tension because of their commemoration of a battle in 1690 which cemented
British rule on the island of Ireland , the marches are overtly triumphalist , worse still they insist on marching down Irish neighbourhoods , imagine if the kkk were allowed march down a black neighbourhood in Georgia

Old 07-12-2012, 05:55 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,999 times
It is hard to imagine hatred being instilled into generation after generation, i don't see the comparison between KKK and Protestants. Time for them to all move on and enjoy what life they have.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,297,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
It is hard to imagine hatred being instilled into generation after generation, i don't see the comparison between KKK and Protestants. Time for them to all move on and enjoy what life they have.
I was comparing the kkk to the orange order , not Protestants , the orange order are an anti catholic org

Old 07-12-2012, 06:56 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
I was comparing the kkk to the orange order , not Protestants , the orange order are an anti catholic org
Thank you for enlightening me but i still wouldn't compare the kkk to any civilised community.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:24 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,707,557 times
When you consider the well reported, and proven, brutal and sadistic crimes that the catholic church commited against young Irish children, I'm not surprised that some people in Ireland are anti catholic.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:57 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
it's more about political division , Catholics see themselves as Irish while the Protestant majority identify with Britain , the marches cause tension because of their commemoration of a battle in 1690 which cemented
British rule on the island of Ireland , the marches are overtly triumphalist , worse still they insist on marching down Irish neighbourhoods , imagine if the kkk were allowed march down a black neighbourhood in Georgia
Spot on, that's exactly what it's like during marching season (was there with the army during one in the 90s, not nice) and i have friends living there now that say it's no different. It's sole purpose seems to be to cause friction between the communities.

With the improvement in relations between the two factions over the last 10 years and the (mostly) successful co-operation shown by the major religious based parties in the Stormont Assembly you would have hoped that this kind of level of antagonism would be a thing of the past.

Here's a link to news coverage of the events: BBC News - Twenty police officers injured during Belfast riots
(there are many links at the bottom of the article in relation to the story).

A quick history lesson: BBC News - Who are the Orangemen?

Last edited by Baldrick; 07-13-2012 at 05:24 AM..

Old 07-13-2012, 08:53 AM

18,532 posts, read 18,772,721 times
my granny came from an Irish Catholic family, but lived here in Scotland since she was 18..after she met my Protestant grandfather, they had to run away.... of course back in the late 1800s this was a no no, . she said that the trouble in Ireland will never stop as they love fighting.. we laughed at the time when she said it.. but in some parts it seems the do.. and it will never stop... although I must see most of Ireland is peaceful with lovely people... sadly there will always be the saime bigots brought up with hatred..

Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,820,928 times
I have the opinion that those sectarian gangs in N. Ireland are really mafias. Someone once referred to N. Ireland as "Sicily Without Sunshine".

Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,155,900 times
What are peoples opinions of this?

Violent anti-drug vigilantes terrorize Northern Irish city - Taipei Times

BBC News - Derry parents urged not to send children to be shot

Why a mother took her teenage son to be shot by vigilante terrorists Republican Action Against Drugs - Northern Ireland, Local & National - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

Now this has gone on to a lesser extent since the 70s and it wasn't uncommon for the IRA, UDF and other terrorist groups to rob bookmakers and small banks and distribute the money to tenants to pay the rent. I'm not condoning the behaviour of these groups in there actions just saying that this kind of thing (that i linked above) is not a new occurrence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom