Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 04:08 PM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times

Advertisements

We call it the Daily Wail.

If you believed what was written there and in The Express you wouldn't get out of bed in the morning, as the World was seemingly going to end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
lol! Thanks. I'm relieved at the response - except it would be nice to have free medical training.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Most education is free in Scotland, my nursing degree was all paid for but medical degrees are not.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 AM

16,671 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Most education is free in Scotland, my nursing degree was all paid for but medical degrees are not.
Free if you have residency in Scotland.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Do you need to be domiciled in Scotland for something like 3 years? Things have changed since I was at university.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:05 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,262 times
Quote:
Do you need to be domiciled in Scotland for something like 3 years? Things have changed since I was at university.
For 3 years yeah. If however you were born in Scotland but hadn't lived there for the prior 3 years before you started University you'd still have to pay.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonborn View Post
I know it does happen (being laid off for an illness that wasn't your fault), but it is generally much harder for an employer to get away with it, as they would in many US states quite easily (California being one exception).
Yes and no...it varies depending on how one interprets terms like 'gross misconduct' and whether you're in a union or not...among other things. I have seen it happen more than once. We have FLMA here which is supposed to protect you but is subject to abuse by employers. Employers will game the system to their advantage every time, doesn't matter what country you're in. Yes, in general, workers in the UK have more protection on paper. That doesn't always translate to job security, unfortunately.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Whoops. I'll bet there are a lot of people here, in the states, who would love to exchange three years for a free college education. Some here will never be able to pay back their college loans.

I remember, years back, a talk show host in the US, when confronted with a caller who said he/she could not afford health care in this county and had cancer or some life threatening ailment - this host advised them to sell all their possessions and to move to the UK for free medical treatment. Many did. I think that loop hole is closed now.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:45 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Whoops. I'll bet there are a lot of people here, in the states, who would love to exchange three years for a free college education. Some here will never be able to pay back their college loans.

I remember, years back, a talk show host in the US, when confronted with a caller who said he/she could not afford health care in this county and had cancer or some life threatening ailment - this host advised them to sell all their possessions and to move to the UK for free medical treatment. Many did. I think that loop hole is closed now.
You can't just move to the UK and expect the NHS to foot the bill for your medical care, it doesn't work that way. If you're on a tourist visa and get sick or become injured, yes, the NHS will care for you but it will also bill you and/or your insurance company. I know someone who works in claims for a major U.S. insurer and he regularly pays claims filed by the NHS.

There's also the prickly matter of a visa. Unless you have family ties to the UK (i.e. are married to or are the minor child of a British subject) or are transferred there by your employer, it's difficult to get a visa there.

As for nursing degrees being free in Scotland, have you seen what a nurse makes on the NHS vs what they make here in the US? Nurses in the UK don't make squat compared to their US counterparts.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:32 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Yes, domiciled in Scotland for at least three years or be a citizen of an EU country. However, that latter provision does not apply to English students I believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom